Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Upvote 0
The ace 250 has to remain at the same angle at the end of your swing otherwise you get a beep like something is there.
It needs to stay level and steady.
Also when you turn the ace on are you holding it at waist level and waiting for the beep and then lowering it.
this is how it ground balances itself.
Ive got allot of hours in with the ace 250

bigcypresshunter
Keep me posted on what you find out. My wife bought mine online but can't find the receipt now. Still love her anyways. Hopefully its just something simple were not doing, or are doing that we shouldn't.

Every one else
Thanks for the tips. I'll pay closer attention to my technique next time I'm out, which isn't near as often as I would like due to the kids extracurricular stuff.

I watched the instructional video very carefully. I used all the tips mentioned here and added one that I found on the video. It said to hold the power button down til it beeps twice to reset to factory specs.I started at waist level to ground balance before lowering and turned the sensitivity way down. I dont know why but I had very few false dings this test and found a childs gold ring in my back yard first target! ;D
The main complaint I have now is that I cannot discriminate out a steel crown cap. It tunes out on a bench air test, but dings as a penny or a dime on the ground. A steel beer bottle cap is supposed sound silent when using discrimination, right? :-\

It is better today. I found a gold ring, brass button, and clad all in a 4 foot sq area in about 20 minutes. It really picks up those dimes and good depth. I would say a pinpointer is a must for this unit. Its a big help. I wish I could disc out bottle caps. :(

Attachments

• MVC-005E.JPG
    MVC-005E.JPG
    9.2 KB · Views: 854
  • MVC-001E.JPG
    MVC-001E.JPG
    8.6 KB · Views: 846
Thanks for the post. I will try the 'hold power button down' thing and then power up at waist high next time I am out. I wish I had gotten an instructional video with mine, but oh well.

later.

Jeriigan, or anyone else,

If you did not receive a DVD with your Garrett Ace 250 and just the instruction booklet...I'm passing on to you what was passed on to me.

In fact it is the same # that Warsawdaddy mentioned, I spoke with Melinda. Just tell her you would like the DVD for the Ace 250. It was free...I ordered my Ace in April and the DVD in July. Very informative...I still laugh about it, but I visited Garland, TX enough times to notice that the park used for the DVD was the one located next to the military base.

;) RR

jernigan00 said:
Thanks for the post. I will try the 'hold power button down' thing and then power up at waist high next time I am out. I wish I had gotten an instructional video with mine, but oh well.

later.
I look at the Ace a different way after finding gold so quickly. lol Do you have trouble tuning out steel beer crown caps, like I do? Has anyone else had this problem. I cannot discriminate them out completely when they are in or on the ground and they show as a penny or dime.

yep.
Not only do I have a hard time with bottle caps tunning in as coins, but also old rusted cans and rusted tin roof pieces. In fact, those fragments of rusted tin roof all but run me off from a potentially good old farm house site. That stuff seems to be everywhere. Mind you, thats after I disc out iron. Perhaps the content of the rusted tin is causing my machine to get confused. Don't know.

jernigan00 said:
yep.
Not only do I have a hard time with bottle caps tunning in as coins, but also old rusted cans and rusted tin roof pieces. In fact, those fragments of rusted tin roof all but run me off from a potentially good old farm house site. That stuff seems to be everywhere. Mind you, thats after I disc out iron. Perhaps the content of the rusted tin is causing my machine to get confused. Don't know.
Thanks Jernigan. Is any other Ace250 owner having this problem?

I MDed in the 70's and 80's and then quit. I am just getting back into it and have no experience with modern metal Detectors and notch discrimination. I know they take a while to master. I just want to be sure before returning. Thanks.

Here is one days caps from the beach while using the coin or jewelry mode:

Attachments

• MVC-001E.JPG
    MVC-001E.JPG
    11.5 KB · Views: 807
I’m new to MDing, recently purchased an ACE 250, and only been on the beaches just over half a dozen times. I’ve already used a lot of tips from posters on this site and feel more comfortable than perhaps I should?? But as for the problem of the Ace showing a bottle cap as a solid coin... yea yesterday it I.D.ed a coin at six inches but it turned out to be a twist off cap that was about ten inches down.
Now I’m not complaining. The depth was impressive, to me as this was the deepest I’ve dug yet. The only drawback was the daylight I lost digging a hole that deep into the hard pack sand that started at four inches.
One day soon that deep bell tone will be something worthy of posting.

drver said:
I’m new to MDing, recently purchased an ACE 250, and only been on the beaches just over half a dozen times. I’ve already used a lot of tips from posters on this site and feel more comfortable than perhaps I should?? But as for the problem of the Ace showing a bottle cap as a solid coin... yea yesterday it I.D.ed a coin at six inches but it turned out to be a twist off cap that was about ten inches down.
Now I’m not complaining. The depth was impressive, to me as this was the deepest I’ve dug yet. The only drawback was the daylight I lost digging a hole that deep into the hard pack sand that started at four inches.
One day soon that deep bell tone will be something worthy of posting.
Hello drver. I am not talking about aluminum twist off caps. (pic bottom right) I am referring to STEEL BEER CROWN BOTTLE CAPS like the ones pictured. Does your Ace discriminate out STEEL BOTTLE CAPS?

Naw it wasn’t aluminum, it was so rusted I couldn’t read the brand. It rang clean like a coin, not all do but this one did, maybe something to do with the fact I’m on a salt water beach or depth, don’t know??.
I’ve dug so many nails on the beach I started to notch out the far left and run all metal mode with the sensitivity at four to five.

drver said:
Naw it wasn’t aluminum, it was so rusted I couldn’t read the brand. It rang clean like a coin, not all do but this one did, maybe something to do with the fact I’m on a salt water beach or depth, don’t know??.
I’ve dug so many nails on the beach I started to notch out the far left and run all metal mode with the sensitivity at four to five.
WHat mode were you in when you dug the deep bottle cap? I am finding caps in every mode, including the coin mode. :(

I usually keep it in all metal, the others notch out too much stuff I’d like to at least hear and decide if I want to ignore, I also usually manually notch out the far left, iron. If you want to save this though do it in custom because when you turn off and back on all changes except the ones made in custom are erased.
One thing I’ve learned is if I hear junk there’s usually something good close by and I can slow down.

Do all you’re twist caps sound the bell tone, coin tone? With mine only some do. Most?? Sound like iron junk. Also if the coin tone doesn’t reproduce EVERY time you pass over it’s usually a cap. But like a lot of stuff I learned so far this isn’t written in stone. I’ve dug a dime and steel twist cap from the same hole.

drver said:
I usually keep it in all metal, the others notch out too much stuff I’d like to at least hear and decide if I want to ignore, I also usually manually notch out the far left, iron. If you want to save this though do it in custom because when you turn off and back on all changes except the ones made in custom are erased.
One thing I’ve learned is if I hear junk there’s usually something good close by and I can slow down.

Do all you’re twist caps sound the bell tone, coin tone? With mine only some do. Most?? Sound like iron junk. Also if the coin tone doesn’t reproduce EVERY time you pass over it’s usually a cap. But like a lot of stuff I learned so far this isn’t written in stone. I’ve dug a dime and steel twist cap from the same hole.
I have a Pulse unit and old GEB Amphibian when I am not on a trashy beach. I bought this unit so when I need Discrimination, I will have it. (I thought)
Some steel caps sound iron, sometimes. But when a bottle cap sounds the good bell tone and shows penny or dime, it will do it on EVERY sweep, left or right. As you see from the pic, I have dug quite a few with good belltones. I also get coin belltone from test in backyard on clean ground. Only on the ground. Bench air test sound is silent.

Yea by the pics you’ve dig a few more than I have but it makes me wonder how many more could have been dug without the descrim? I know I here a lot of iron that I ignore.

drver said:
Yea by the pics you’ve dig a few more than I have but it makes me wonder how many more could have been dug without the descrim? I know I here a lot of iron that I ignore.
Maybe my unit discriminated out some of them. :-\ It does discriminate iron and nails. ( false signals are becoming less and less) I only really have a problem with Steel beer crown caps.

cypress, I wouldnt get too hung up on digging bottle caps. Occasionally I get fooled with a good signal from a rusty bottle cap with my Explorer. It happens

same here and im running a 1000 dollar machine

Bottle caps and pull tabs are the bane of our existance Big Cy. My Fisher is absolutely the best machine I have tried for nickels....

I run with my disc set at iron only, and depending on the ground mineralization either low or high. Pulltabs and steel bottlecaps have a way of making themsleves show up as anything from a nickel to a silver coin, no matter how good you have it set, or what your experience.

Target ID on any machine is only a PROBABLE target ID. They all can be fooled. If you're not digging pulltabs and bottlecaps, you're doing something wrong. This is actually a good thing and it sounds like you are doing it right. You won't miss much, if anything.

As far as the falsing goes, before you send it in, try checking the battery compartment. Sometimes a little paper shim on the bottom of the battery can help make the connection. The bounty hunters are this way, haven't heard of with the Ace yet, but worth a try.

I havent used Discrimination since the 80's. So I didnt really know. I thought all ferrous could be tuned out. It must be the round shape of the bottle cap fooling the electronics.

As far as my screen freezing, it only happened one time. I was able to shut it off and back on again by removing the battery. The false signals are less now for some reason.

I like the depth and it picks up gold chains and dimes very well. Im going to use it for a while. I have a hunting trip in 2 weeks and I want to use it. It is guaranteed 2 years I believe, so no rush. I need to go in my back yard and find some more gold! ;D ;D
Thanks everybody.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back