Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I bought an Ace 250 but am having trouble with all the false dings. At least I think they are false. I will get a signal but when I sweep back it will be silent. It happens constantly and is very frustrating. Any suggestions?

Upvote 0
There is a sub-board here for Garrett's. On there, I read a good thread about this. One suggestion: when you find a possible hit like this, stomp a few times on the ground where you think it might be. Then re-scan. This loosens up possible oxidation giving falses, it also may re-align the object. I have tried this, and find it helps locate the exact location. Then dig.

Good luck!

Yes, I read that and posted there yesterday, no replies yet. I will try that. Thanks.

try turning your sensativity down a notch or two until the machine becomes stable.

I took it out in my back yard. I cannot stomp on a target that I cannot pinpoint with only one beep. I tied my cable straight back from the coil 12 inches before wrapping. I turned the sensitivity down to three of eight. . It still has false dings. Also has disappearing targets as Im digging, but I can find them with my Automax pinpointer.
Another problem is I cannot discriminate out a rusty Corona beer steel bottle cap. I made a test garden. I tried every mode including coin and custom. It dings on every sweep and shows as either a penny or dime, sometimes quarter. I am disappointed. Am I expecting too much? I have only used 5or 6 times. What am I doing wrong? Help please.

no you arent expecting too much, and it doesnt sound like you are doing anything wrong. it sounds like the unit is malfunctioning to me. maybe a bad coil? i would contact garrett if i were you. mine doesnt do this, and i dont know anyone elses that does either.

This is the only unit I own with discrimination and I havent used disc. for many many years. I just got back into MDing recently. A magnet sticks to the Corona crown cap. I thought maybe it was alloy metal of some kind. I will try some other beer caps. I CAN disc out iron somewhat(minus the false signals).

One thing that scared me the other day was the screen froze up. I could not turn it off. I had to remove a battery and put it back in. It started working again. That should have told me something. I bought it from Kellyco. Well its guaranteed.

Thanks.

ive only heard good things about garretts service. i know they stand behind thier detectors. they ought to take care of you if you explain the trouble to them.

Big,

bummer; sounds like a machine problem.

I'd send it in for a check; pain in the butt, but......

have a good un...............

Yea, I wanted to use it. I drove 2 hrs. to get to my site last Sunday and all I got was aggravation in the hot sun. :(
I will study the CD very carefully again to see if I missed something, test it again, and I'll let you know. :)
Thanks for the help

Funny thing it has very good depth and picks up gold and dimes very well. It just wont discriminate properly.

Sounds to me like machine is faulty. Mine doesn't do anything like that either. Kinda sucks but you may have to return it for repair. Did you buy it from a local dealer or online??? A dealer may be easier to remedy the situation than anyone else. Good luck
Greg

bigcypresshunter

Ya know, this is my first metal detector (Ace 250) and what you described your machine is doing, is exactly what mine is doing as well. I thought it was just what the machine normally did, ie. false hits, bing in only one direction, stops hitting on a hole I started digging, missreading the actual target, etc. I would have never thought it was actually malfunctioning had you not suggested it. My reasoning for not challenging the unit itself is becasue it has found me much clad, and cheap jewlery as expected. I just overlooked the annoyence of occassionally "digging for ghosts".

so, thanks for the validation that they probably are not normal characteristics for the machine. I think I will be on the phone tomorrow with the manufacterer and/or dealer my wife got it from.

By the way, first post here for me folks. Been reading the forum for a long time but felt compeled to contribute this time. Thanks for the diverse, detailed, fascinating, informative, and tremendously helpful information all have contributed to the rest of us newcomers to the sport/forum.

Looking forward to further correspondence and everybody's inciteful wisdom.

Hey BCH, give the big K a call. Being the "biggest" dealer, they should have the best service policy!?! ??? I purchased mine from them and had a shipping problem and they were more than easy to deal with. Good luck
HH
Greg

I've heard a few bad reports on the 250 but most have been positive so like everyone is saying it's most likely a defective machine.

I know what you mean by being frustrated with a detector. I've owned some in the past that nearly drove me out of the hobby.

Once you get your machine fixed I'm sure you'll be fine. But sometime it would be great if you could move up to a better machine.

I use the Nautilus IIB and am totally spoiled for life. The discriminator on this machine is so powerful you can even discriminate out silver if you turn the knob up that high. The Naughty is the first machine I've ever owned in my life that when you set it to discriminate out rusty nails, bottle caps, etc., they're discriminated. And the high discrimination has little if any effect on depth.

Another great thing about a higher range machine is you simply forget about depth. I used to always be worried about rather I was hearing those deep coins or not. No more! A high quality machine will blast-off on a dime at 12+ inches in mild soil. Since most are only 4 to 6 inches deep they just scream out. The first dime I hit on (5 inches) I thought it was a beer can it was so loud.

I just added this to give you something to shoot for in the future. But meanwhile that Ace should find you a lot of good stuff.

Badger

Call for Mary at this number;1-800-527-4011.Tell her what it is doing and you would like to have it checked/repaired.When you send it in also tell them to check the 'pinpoint'.The first 250's had a problem that Garrett fixed but no telling how long Kellyco has had that one in stock.Garrett is super with customer service and they will call you when they get it.Mary will give you the address,ship it ups,that will be your only cost,they will pay for the return postage.Should have it back in 5-7 days.

You probably will only have to send the control head and the coil,not the rods,etc.Send the coil because that could be the whole problem also.

jernigan00 said:
bigcypresshunter

Ya know, this is my first metal detector (Ace 250) and what you described your machine is doing, is exactly what mine is doing as well. I thought it was just what the machine normally did, ie. false hits, bing in only one direction, stops hitting on a hole I started digging, missreading the actual target, etc. I would have never thought it was actually malfunctioning had you not suggested it. My reasoning for not challenging the unit itself is becasue it has found me much clad, and cheap jewlery as expected. I just overlooked the annoyence of occassionally "digging for ghosts".

so, thanks for the validation that they probably are not normal characteristics for the machine. I think I will be on the phone tomorrow with the manufacterer and/or dealer my wife got it from.

By the way, first post here for me folks. Been reading the forum for a long time but felt compeled to contribute this time. Thanks for the diverse, detailed, fascinating, informative, and tremendously helpful information all have contributed to the rest of us newcomers to the sport/forum.

Looking forward to further correspondence and everybody's inciteful wisdom.
I dont want to start a panic return on Ace 250's. The verdict is not out yet as far as I'm concerned. I dont have experience with modern disc. units. as others do. But I dont remember having this problem with my TR units of the past. My screen froze up only once. Maybe I pushed buttons too fast. I know what you are saying about the empty holes. I was in a historic site and I was trying to go unnoticed but found myself digging one foot by one foot holes with a vanishing target. lol
I am going to go back and study the instuctional video very carefully and try again with budweiser bottle caps to tune out. Did you try turning the sensitivity way down? The false bings in one direction are from the halo effect on rusty iron I am told. I will keep in touch.
BCH

warsawdaddy said:
Call for Mary at this number;1-800-527-4011.Tell her what it is doing and you would like to have it checked/repaired.When you send it in also tell them to check the 'pinpoint'.The first 250's had a problem that Garrett fixed but no telling how long Kellyco has had that one in stock.Garrett is super with customer service and they will call you when they get it.Mary will give you the address,ship it ups,that will be your only cost,they will pay for the return postage.Should have it back in 5-7 days.
Thanks for the number. I dont want to give up yet. It seems it worked good one day out of the six. Im going to give it another try. I had big problems with my HH Pulse when I first got it. It turned out to be that the HH will not work around powerlines.

If you bump the coil on a swing,like agaist tall grass roots,you'll probably get a lone beep in just one direction.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back