🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Need help to ID

TNSharps55

Aug 2, 2023
Found in Nashville in what would have been the Confederate line on first day of the battle, but may or may not be battle or CW-related. I thought it might be some kind of sliding weight hanger for a scale, but I can't find anything on the web that matches it. It is brass with heavy green patina, 5-1/2" long (138mm), 11/16" wide (24mm) and 7/8" thick (23mm) at the thickest part across the "swivel". The rectangular hole is 1-3/16" x 5/16" (30mm x 7mm). What appears to be a swivel at the end opposite the hook is not. It is cast as one piece with the main body; however, there appears to be the remains of an iron or steel pin that passes through that feature which likely means that something else was attached there.

Attachments

• HANGER 1.jpg
    HANGER 1.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 66
  • HANGER 2.jpg
    HANGER 2.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 58
Found in Nashville in what would have been the Confederate line on first day of the battle, but may or may not be battle or CW-related. I thought it might be some kind of sliding weight hanger for a scale, but I can't find anything on the web that matches it. It is brass with heavy green patina, 5-1/2" long (138mm), 11/16" wide (24mm) and 7/8" thick (23mm) at the thickest part across the "swivel". The rectangular hole is 1-3/16" x 5/16" (30mm x 7mm). What appears to be a swivel at the end opposite the hook is not. It is cast as one piece with the main body; however, there appears to be the remains of an iron or steel pin that passes through that feature which likely means that something else was attached there.
I think it hurt to pull a metal rope

Upvote 0
I give up, what is it? lol but seriously i was trying to think what the heck that thing is. I know none of these are a match. But i was just trying to get into the ball park, get an industry or a name. then worry about what type of metal, construction, etc.
D6C81B65-A4D9-4B44-9492-70A8608E8E4E.jpeg

I guess my final guess would have to be something to do with a scale. Why brass is the question? moisture resistance? lighter weight? I don't know but im curious now. I cant wait for someone to come on here and say "duh thats a obscure British made blah blah."

Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back