NEED HELP IDing BULLET!!!

jvance91

Jul 18, 2012
Fairmont, wv
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter discovery 1100
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey guys i found this bullet on my first time out MDing i know its slightly old cause i am a gun guy and i do know modern bullets mushroom when shot even if they dont hit anything. i found it in north central wv region fairmont wv to be exact. this find has caught my intrest with my new hobby MDing.i had some free time at work and had my gf send me the pics of them and but i cant seem to find anything on it so i shall turn to you guys for your input and help Thanks! bullet1.JPGbullet2.JPGbullet3.JPG

The first thing is to determine the diameter of the bullet which will give you a starting point for the caliber. I have found bullets in that condition numerous times....they don't always mushroom. If I was to go out on a limb...in West Virginia....30 cal....or maybe 30-06.

Upvote 0
We did determine that its a bit bigger than 30 cal we compared it to a 30 06 and the end seems to be hollow. Thanks for your comments finally someone replies lol

Upvote 0
This place seems to be slow in the summer.... do not give up as fall approaches you will see more members. Welcome to t-net and happy hunting.
TnMtns

Upvote 0
Thank ya sir and happy hunting as well. I'm Thinking about upgrading detectors soon cause this hobby has really caught my attention I'm using a cheaper bounty hunter 1100 I believe? I'm thinking about buying a garret ace 250

Upvote 0
It is a large caliber rifle bullet that has been out there a long time. Probably 30-06. Ask a gunsmith, they would know.

Upvote 0
Actually must FMJ rifle bullets like that don't mushroom unless they hit something pretty hard. That one could have missed it's target and just ran out of steam before hitting the ground.

I'm throwing a wild guess here because without a measurement it's hard to say from the pics, so I'm just gauging from thumb size that it's bigger than a .30 cal. I'd guess with no evidence really that it could be a .350 Rem Mag. If you can give me an accurate measurement I can id it for sure.

Upvote 0
Yes after I said that bullets always mushroom I stuck my foot in my mouth after forgetting about
FMJs can't believe it I've worked at a gunshop since I was 18. Anyhow I'll bring my micrometer home tonight and get some measurements and post them up here. Thanks guys much
Appreciated

Upvote 0
If you worked in a gunshop you should know that to ID the bullet you need to tell us the diameter and weight of the bullet. Otherwise it's just a bullet! Monty

Upvote 0
I did work in a gun shop but we didn't deal with anything antique or older you get back that far and im clueless on things

Upvote 0
Well I don't think that it's all that old, FMJ It could be 25 or 30 yrs old maybe a little older. jmho.............HH

Upvote 0
I would guess that the "hollow" back end may indicate tracer. Can you determine if the tip had red or orange paint on it? May also be .444 caliber or so. Terry

Upvote 0
Well I don't think that it's all that old, FMJ It could be 25 or 30 yrs old maybe a little older. jmho.............HH

Actually jacketed bullets were invented in Switzerland in 1882, they were first used in 1886 for the 8x50mm Model 1886 French Lebel rifle.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
.348 Winchester based on shape and without seeing how blunt the tip is.

Actually, about impossible to guess without dimensions or knowing how big your piddies are.

Upvote 0
Thanks guys for all the input I'll have dimensions of it tomorrow for ya guys so hopefully we can get a little more info. But about a quarter of the way up the bullet it has horizontal dash lines all the way around it

Upvote 0
okay guys this is what i got after finally remembering to bring the bullet to work to get the size on it i come up with the length of the bullet is 0.942 inches and the width of the bullet is 0.412 inches and the ID of what appears to be hollow or atleast semi hollow back is 0.271 inches. after some research on good ole google i found a conversion table from ounces or grams to grains so i weighed the bullet in both and came up with 15.11 grams and .533 oz. 1 gram =15.4323584 grains after the math i ended up coming up with it being a 233.18 grain bullet. let me know what you guys think i might be running it down to a local gunsmith here on my lunch break.

Upvote 0
233 grains, of course, would be consistant with a larger bore rifle. The .412.... hmmm. Can't remember offhand.... 44-40 possibly? Meaning 44 grains of black powder pushing a .40 diameter projectile? Hmmm. need some younger guys still into it to pipe up. All I can do for you. TTC

Upvote 0
thank you for your input terryC i apprecitate it ill get to the bottom of this eventually. i went to 2 different gun shops today but non really had any idea as to what it was

Upvote 0
Tnx. Hope that helps. First start at .44-40 cartridges. Google similar should get you onto what you want. RESEARCH in action.... the very fundementals of this hobby. Read and learn!! Tnx again. TTC

Upvote 0
I have an old Winchester chart showing a lot of older cartridges and there must be a dozen or so .41 and .44 caliber bullets. Roll the dice! And I wasn't insinuating that you did not work in a gun shop, but you found out that a gun shop doesn't necessarily have expertise in bullets. Let us know if you do get it id'd. Monty

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back