need help deciding on new higher end detector

buckeyehunter

Jan 29, 2005
Lancaster, Ohio
Detector(s) used
e-trac
Hey guys still pretty new to this but my brother and I are already thinking about upgrading. Currently we are both using whites prizm III'S and have had a lot of succes and fun (so much success we would both keep them as back-up detectors) but we are both wanting to upgrade to something with better features.

We both are very open to any suggestions and Ideas, we mostly hunt for coins and relics but will probably be taking a trip to florida this year to hunt the beaches and also out west and would like to hunt for gold.

I would like peoples opinion on WHITES dfx, mxt and xlit GARRETT gti 2500 and FISHER cz3d and also open for suggestions on any other machines.

looking for comments on positives/negatives and recomended reading.

THANKS TO EVERYONE IN ADVANCED!

Upvote 0
Hey Wild Bill
I live in Colorado too. Yes the Explorer 11 is tough to beat for coins/relics- I know I used to own one.

However, for gold specimen hunting it is worthless. I used to test the Explorer 11 with native gold wire samples from around Breckenridge- not a peep- same way with any PI- Those multi-frequency detectors(EX 11) have trouble with thin gold(wire gold) and conversely specimen gold. I used an GMT and an X-5 on those same samples and they will detect the specimens at 8" whereas no response with an Explorer. Chalcopyrite has enough iron in it to get a response from most detectors- like other "hot" rocks-? Pyrite will too. Also galena(PbS) will produce a response from a detector. Get a big enough nugget and any coin detector will hit it- but again for coins/relics/nuggets - only Vaquero, Tesoro LST, X-5 or MXT will work effectively as only they have higher frequencies necessary for small nuggets. I have only tested the X-5 with speicimen gold and know it works- however I do not know if the other 3 would work also. If they are single frequency I suspect that they would.

However, just for coins and relics- I would backback an Explorer 11 in too and clean up.

George

One thing I have learned is I will deffinently have to check out the minelabs before I buy anything, lot of posts about the minelab.

Jimmileo - I am with you! this is a great forum where people are very helpful!! it is also great to have so many people respond to help you with advice! and isnt it amazing everyone using different brands and models of detectors but everyone gets along so well?
I think it says something about our hobbie how eager we are to help each other and give our advice to try and help one another out!

still havent heard much about the garrett gti 2500?

how does the dfx perfom on beaches? how does it do for gold?

mike28 said:
still havent heard much about the garrett gti 2500?

how does the dfx perfom on beaches? how does it do for gold?

Mike,

re-read the post I made above on these 2 machines,

I own both of them,

they are worlds apart in how they operate but, are both top of the line.

I like my GTI 2500 (love Garrett machines period) as I grew up using them (since/during the 70s).

I believe you're just going to have to figure out which style of hunting you'll be doing the most, and read about & test different machines before buying one to fit your needs.

There is no 100% "Do all/Find all machine" but, many are good for several purposes.

Beyond that - "YOU" have to learn, and become knowledgable with your machine/s and use them to the best of your abilities to get the most/best use out of them

You can have the most advanced/best detector in the world but, if you don't understand it, and or know how to use it to it's fullest potential,

it'll do you no good whatsoever.

Well, I've settled on buying them all! They each have so much to offer and then I see another brand that maybe might more fit my needs and then.......It's a touigh decision to make. I don't want to be doing this again for several years, and won't unless someone figures out how to discriminate out aluminum! My BH is supposed to filter out pull tabs but it still beeps just like a nickel! And when a tone or icon says it's a ring................or a pull tab I go nuts!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back