NEED Button help I.D,...Colonial?

tokenhead

Feb 14, 2006
Erie,PA.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone!,
I recently got these button's in a jar of buttons bought at an estate sale(always looking for the Washington inag.!!!)and need help w/the I.D. of these,They have been cleaned:censored:!!! But still old one's.I know there is plenty of button folk on this site so please help,The one w/the 3 only is the nicest one,It doe's not look cleaned...Any help will be greatly appreciated! HAPPY HUNTING ALL!!!

Attachments

• DSCI2487.JPG
    DSCI2487.JPG
    51.4 KB · Views: 142
  • DSCI2488.JPG
    DSCI2488.JPG
    57.3 KB · Views: 146
  • DSCI2492.JPG
    DSCI2492.JPG
    52.6 KB · Views: 142
  • DSCI2495.JPG
    DSCI2495.JPG
    53.8 KB · Views: 128
  • DSCI2496.JPG
    DSCI2496.JPG
    52.3 KB · Views: 140
  • DSCI2509.JPG
    DSCI2509.JPG
    55.6 KB · Views: 141
  • DSCI2508.JPG
    DSCI2508.JPG
    58.3 KB · Views: 152
  • DSCI2503.JPG
    DSCI2503.JPG
    54.6 KB · Views: 134
  • DSCI2499.JPG
    DSCI2499.JPG
    51.9 KB · Views: 137
  • DSCI2497.JPG
    DSCI2497.JPG
    55.3 KB · Views: 129
Definitely early one-piece militia buttons, did a quick online search without any success. :icon_scratch:

I'd PM Iron Patch with a link to this post, he will know exactly what these are. :thumbsup:

Dave

Upvote 0
I don't think they are British or American, and early French usually have a turret or birdcage loop.... and since one has what looks like a Spanish crown, I'd say all 4 are likely Spanish. Unfortunately whether that's the case or not, that's about all I can add... but Spanish would be my starting point.

Maybe contact John P. and see if he or maybe a contact of his can help you out.

Spanish Colonial Military Artifacts - History, Archaeology, Relics

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I agree with Iron Patch, the crown on one of your buttons is the royal crown of Spain during the Colonial era. You might find that button's match in this sub-section of John P.'s "Spansh Colonial Military Artifacts" website:
Mrkdbts

Upvote 0
That one may be depicting the arms of Haiti. And the one with the writing and the 3 may be "REPUBLIQUE D'HAITI". There is another button here with that legend and the number 21 in the center. The photos are not that good though.

OLD BUTTONS? HELP! tvr thanks.

Attachments

• haiti-arms Henry.JPG
    haiti-arms Henry.JPG
    19.2 KB · Views: 380
Upvote 0
Does the one with the 3 + writing say "Republique D'Haiti"?

Upvote 0
Ha! As usual, Bramblefind beat me to the post!

Upvote 0
That one may be depicting the arms of Haiti. And the one with the writing and the 3 may be "REPUBLIQUE D'HAITI". There is another button here with that legend and the number 21 in the center. The photos are not that good though.

OLD BUTTONS? HELP! tvr thanks.
Actually the ONE is REPUBLIQUIE D'HAYTI...That is how it's written on button.Obviously it has enviromental damage,These must have been dug at one time,Thank's for input!!! HAPPY HUNTING ALL:thumbsup:!!!

Upvote 0
Judging by this it may be a challenge to come up with the 3rd button ID.

Attachments

• 3button.jpg
    3button.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 121
Upvote 0
Judging by this it may be a challenge to come up with the 3rd button ID.
Very interesting i can at least say they are a long time mystery!,The font/number to me looked,Looked mind you like American??? but that would be odd as the other's are not.Odd may not be the correct term,Anyway the one w/the crown&lion's w/crown's either side read's something like MAISON MILATAIRE DU ROI DE but doe's not link to that unit:dontknow: so the search continue's.Thank for all the help(thus far?) Iron Patch:notworthy:,HAPPY HUNTING ALL!!!

Upvote 0
I don't know about the #3, but the others are all from Haiti. Haiti defeated France and won independence in 1804. In 1806 Dessaline, the leader, was assassinated. Haiti split in two with the south ruled by Petion and the north by Henri Christophe. Christophe ruled as president from 1807 to 1811, and your buttons are from that time. In 1811 he had himself proclaimed king and his soldiers then wore the phoenix buttons that are so collectable today. Christophe suffered a stroke, his soldiers rebelled, and he committed suicide in 1820. The button with two lions are part of a royal crest and referred to as "Royal Buttons" and "Officers' Buttons." I am not sure which is correct. Hope that helps. They are a great find.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back