Mystery Map and a Fake Grave-yard (WHY)?

boomer

Jul 8, 2003
kentucky
Detector(s) used
army all terrain
This story is a personal mystery and I'm still working on it.

It all started in the late 1980's. I received a letter and map from a man in Columbus Ohio. He related that he was sending this map in hopes that i could figure it out. the map was a copy of a rubbing that fit on an 8 1/2 by 11 sheet. The man stated that they tried for six months to figure it out, but no luck. He stated the map was found outside of Clay City, Kentucky on his uncles farm and was used has a door stop. Having no other info on this, i used topo maps of the area and after 3 months located a curve on the Kentucky River that matched the map and looking south found the rest of the signs. I sent a letter to this man and it was returned no such address. No phone, nothing.
Myself and several others went to this area. The topo map showed an old trail that went down to a creek. We parked at the top of this trail and walked down toward the creek, It would be about a 1/2 mile. We came to an old cabin that had fallen in on its self. At this time one of the girls that was with us asked why there was no sounds. No one could figure it out. No sound, no wind, it was odd. After checking the cabin out, we started on down the trail, The others went a little ahead of me. Just past the cabin about 40 yards there was a small path, both sides of the trail was overgrown and hard to see more than 20 feet. I stopped at the path and told the others that i was going to see where the path went. About 30 feet on this path, to my right i saw a grave and beside it four more. I called out to the others to come look, why i don't know. We looked at the dates and they showed that they all died on the same date in 1927. The path ended just past the last grave. For some reason that no one can explain, i walked past the end of the path about 10 yards and found another grave. I called the others to come look. The head stone had my name on it, with the dates, born 1804, died 1872. We took a photo of the headstone. All photos turned out except for the one of the headstone, It came out in a reddish blue light. To this day, i cannot find out anything on this man or the cabin. After doing research on this, i found that a whole family died in a house fire there in 1927 and later on, while looking at maps of the area, i found a village just 20 miles away with a general store/post office, one gas pump, the place has my last name. Odd the things you can find in the Genealogy section of the library.

Because of work i was not able to go back until 2001. Now about the map, it shows a hill and a plus sign on the top, going toward the top of this hill, there are 30 headstones made from limestone 2 inches thick by 18 inches wide and 16 inches above ground and 10" below. The headstones are spaced around the hill in three rows. By the way, there are no carvings on the stones. The stones are spaced 150 feet apart as you go to the top of the hill, there are 14 stones and then 10 and near the top 6. the graves were never used. To this day i have no idea what they mean.
Leaving the hill and going about 150 yards on the trail, Just to the south-side of the hill, i saw a deer path heading west around the hill. We followed it and came to a small ledge that had moss on it. scraping the moss away, there was a vee carved into the top of the ledge, pointing north toward the top of the hill. Going on this course for about 200 feet we came to a cave that goes about 30 feet down and at the opening is 8 feet across. On one side of the opening is a U shaped cut out that goes to the floor of the cave. the U is 3 feet wide by 2 foot deep. There are two ledges on the wall of the cave that look to be cut for a person to stand. On the floor of the cave is a large rock the size of a dining room table and is three feet high. how the rock got there is a mystery. the cave is limestone and the table rock is sandstone. the room is 12 by 16 feet. there is a lot of rock chips on the floor. with or detector we found an old flintlock type Rifle with the largest bore i have ever seen, Its more rust than gun. If you tap on the walls or floor it sounds hollow. no carvings at all. I'll tell the rest of this story later this week and what the rest of the map has on it. One thing, about 2 miles from this hill is a cave with the date 1632 on it. (any ideas.)

I might be able to help with the cave part:

The rock chips would have been from arrowheads and the cave was probably used for cover, that would also explain the old gun. There former resident may have been running from something and left in haste whithout gun, then was either killed, maybe spanairds?, and if so he may have burid something he was hiding

just a thought

p.s. i don't know how to explain the rest, maybe the graveyard was pre-dug

Upvote 0
anything else of yet, thought id bring this back up......i know of a couple early kentucky exploers whom have went on the hunt or search and never returned. A few in mind is John Filson, James Harrod, John Finley.... The flint lock rifle was in these mens era late 1700's, just depends on the area in which you have found this cave. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
Hello everyone,,, I'm technically not a new guest... I'm more of a new texter..... Anyway, because of 2 jobs and 3 kids, I barley get a couple days to fish, let alone TH. So, we will say I'm a TH'er at heart and a "want-to-be." But, I do keep a journal
of stories/tales that I will explore one day, and I have one that maybe a link to this story.

I'm going back to 1981. I just purchased my first detector and looking for sites. An elderly relative of a friend told us of some graves on a hill side under a large bluff so off we went. We found the graves and after about 2 hours of hunting my detector sounded off. We dug and found a brass plate ( 2in X 3in) with 1624 stamped on it, a small rock sphere about 3 and a half inches in diameter with hairline streaks of gold, and a human skull. We took the skull to Cumberland College, and they said that it had the features of Northern Europe, possibly of Netherland origin. This was located on the Bell County and Whitley County line, up Gatliff mtn. in Kentucky.

I should point out that the graves had been ran-sacked. They were totally destroyed. However, there was a large 'U' carved on one of the walls of the bluff and the date 1627. This raised several questions, and we began a door-to-door search of the people in the area to gather any clues. We found one elderly lady that had an interesting story.

She took us to a grave that was almost directly on the opposite side of the mountain from the bluff and relayed this story. Around
1620 a small exploration group from Europe came to the New World to satisfy a growing curiosity. One of the members was of royalty. She was supposedly a Princess. And, we were looking at her grave. The story goes that she had brought some valuables to trade if the opportunity arose. During the course of the trip, some of the party got sick and had to stay behind. She became very ill and soon died. The party buried her and a small group stayed with her. The rest of the party was to return to Europe and inform her father. The rumor was that the party left her valuables with the group to use as a bartering tool, if necessary. My friend and I seareched that mountain for years and never found any other signs. We never disturbed her grave and it is still there to this day.

The link to Boomer's story: The 'U' on the bluff with the 1627 date. The bluff faced the South. On the North is the rumored grave of the Princess. The marker on this grave is a limestone rock of the same dimensions as Boomer's rocks. It had a cross with a circle around it with the date 1627. On the East side of the hill, is a similar layout of rocks as Boomer's story just a smaller
scale. The bottom row had only 8 visible rocks, then 5, then 3.

Could Boomer have found the original sick party from this group?? Is his sight, the actual burial place of this wondering Princess?
Or, could it be that Father was trying to relocate his daughter?

Boomer check your topo and see if the Cumberland River running through Bell County into Whitley County has a similar curve
to it..... If there is, then maybe....... I would take a look for a lone grave. The one, that the lady showed us, was inline with the top row of rocks and the bluff was above this. If there would have been a higher row of rocks, then the bluff would have been in line with them.

Later everyone and "Good Luck" out there.............

Upvote 0
For those disbeliever, keep it to yourself. You insult a good man with it. I have been searching for over 35 years for the paymasters barge where i dive. I have had to abandion the seacrh due to work constraints. Putting food on the table takes precedent over searching for treasure thats just reality.

If you want to help, then encourage if you want to ne a kill joy and cynic keep it to yourself too many people cantm stand itm when others are happy doing their thing These people are called energy suckers like vampires they just bring you down.

Carry on the search and the dream take it to where it leads you, and pay not a wits attention to the naysayers, as they are not in the field doing anything but sitting at home being critics.

As for the paymasters barge this summer is looking good, as I have found pieces of old cast iron style gears and a hand made bronze prop hand hammered with keyway. MAybe this is the year

Upvote 0
Because of work i was not able to go back until 2001. Now about the map, it shows a hill and a plus sign on the top, going toward the top of this hill, there are 30 headstones made from limestone 2 inches thick by 18 inches wide and 16 inches above ground and 10" below. The headstones are spaced around the hill in three rows. By the way, there are no carvings on the stones. The stones are spaced 150 feet apart as you go to the top of the hill, there are 14 stones and then 10 and near the top 6. the graves were never used. To this day i have no idea what they mean.

Some time ago, I saw a TV show about moonshineing (sp?), and they described a still that was concealed beneath a fake cemetery. Made me think of this story.

Upvote 0
Second and last text.............

Boomer .... Good Luck !!!!

Twogunz ... Thanks !!!!!

Montana Jim, Diggemall, and Trikikiwi ..... I don't socialize and play well with smartasses !!!!!

I'm done here !!!!!

Upvote 0
jamesw said:

Twogunz ... Thanks !!!!!

Montana Jim, Diggemall, and Trikikiwi ..... I don't socialize and play well with smartasses !!!!!

I'm done here !!!!!

James

IF I'm not Mistaken they did that
because they had nothing to add

but wanted to follow this thread.

I Do not think They are Trying to Be Rude

Upvote 0
jeff of pa said:
jamesw said:

Twogunz ... Thanks !!!!!

I'm done here !!!!!

James

IF I'm not Mistaken they did that
because they had nothing to add

but wanted to follow this thread.

I Do not think They are Trying to Be Rude

That's what I thought "tag" meant. :icon_scratch: Kinda like "bump" to bring something back to the top of a forum.

Upvote 0
Jeff,,, I applaud your effort to keep peace among the tribe, but I have to disagree.

Twogunz took it the same way that I did. If I am wrong, I will be the first to step up.
If I'm right, well then, enough said.........

Stories are stories; We all have stories that have been passed down or passed on to each
of us. It is our choice to pass them on here. Critique, criticize, support, teach, ask questions,
demand answers, research ,,, that's part of the fun. Everything else can stay at home......

Much success Jeff and Thanks,,,,,,,,

Upvote 0
Whooooaaa!!! :o Hold your Horses, JamesW !!!!

With All Respect, as Jeff tried to explain, our interest is in following your this extremely interesting thread - but we have nothing we can (currently) add to it, so rather than make inane comments, we just Tag the Thread so that we will be automatically informed of any new post.

I hope you will continue with TreasureNet as I look forward to following your adventures - as well
Best Regards, Mike

Edited in light of Cache Crazy's post below

Upvote 0
trikikiwi said:
Whooooaaa!!! :o Hold your Horses, JamesW !!!!

With All Respect, as Jeff tried to explain, our interest is in following your extremely interesting thread - but we have nothing we can (currently) add to it, so rather than make inane comments, we just Tag the Thread so that we will be automatically informed of any new post.

I hope you will continue with TreasureNet as I look forward to following your adventures.
Best Regards, Mike

It wasn't James' thread, It was Boomer's. James was the offender.

Upvote 0
Jamesw;

Time to step up.

"Tag" is my way of making sure any new posts to this thread make it pop up in my "unread replies" listing - an easy way for me to keep reading threads i found interesting. You will note that I have very few posts. This is not because I am shy ;D It's because I want to keep my unread replies list short and limited mostly to threads I find pertinent.

BTW - a little salt makes crow easier to swallow (I should know :wink:)

Diggem'

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back