Mystery Map and a Fake Grave-yard (WHY)?

boomer

Jul 8, 2003
kentucky
Detector(s) used
army all terrain
This story is a personal mystery and I'm still working on it.

It all started in the late 1980's. I received a letter and map from a man in Columbus Ohio. He related that he was sending this map in hopes that i could figure it out. the map was a copy of a rubbing that fit on an 8 1/2 by 11 sheet. The man stated that they tried for six months to figure it out, but no luck. He stated the map was found outside of Clay City, Kentucky on his uncles farm and was used has a door stop. Having no other info on this, i used topo maps of the area and after 3 months located a curve on the Kentucky River that matched the map and looking south found the rest of the signs. I sent a letter to this man and it was returned no such address. No phone, nothing.
Myself and several others went to this area. The topo map showed an old trail that went down to a creek. We parked at the top of this trail and walked down toward the creek, It would be about a 1/2 mile. We came to an old cabin that had fallen in on its self. At this time one of the girls that was with us asked why there was no sounds. No one could figure it out. No sound, no wind, it was odd. After checking the cabin out, we started on down the trail, The others went a little ahead of me. Just past the cabin about 40 yards there was a small path, both sides of the trail was overgrown and hard to see more than 20 feet. I stopped at the path and told the others that i was going to see where the path went. About 30 feet on this path, to my right i saw a grave and beside it four more. I called out to the others to come look, why i don't know. We looked at the dates and they showed that they all died on the same date in 1927. The path ended just past the last grave. For some reason that no one can explain, i walked past the end of the path about 10 yards and found another grave. I called the others to come look. The head stone had my name on it, with the dates, born 1804, died 1872. We took a photo of the headstone. All photos turned out except for the one of the headstone, It came out in a reddish blue light. To this day, i cannot find out anything on this man or the cabin. After doing research on this, i found that a whole family died in a house fire there in 1927 and later on, while looking at maps of the area, i found a village just 20 miles away with a general store/post office, one gas pump, the place has my last name. Odd the things you can find in the Genealogy section of the library.

Because of work i was not able to go back until 2001. Now about the map, it shows a hill and a plus sign on the top, going toward the top of this hill, there are 30 headstones made from limestone 2 inches thick by 18 inches wide and 16 inches above ground and 10" below. The headstones are spaced around the hill in three rows. By the way, there are no carvings on the stones. The stones are spaced 150 feet apart as you go to the top of the hill, there are 14 stones and then 10 and near the top 6. the graves were never used. To this day i have no idea what they mean.
Leaving the hill and going about 150 yards on the trail, Just to the south-side of the hill, i saw a deer path heading west around the hill. We followed it and came to a small ledge that had moss on it. scraping the moss away, there was a vee carved into the top of the ledge, pointing north toward the top of the hill. Going on this course for about 200 feet we came to a cave that goes about 30 feet down and at the opening is 8 feet across. On one side of the opening is a U shaped cut out that goes to the floor of the cave. the U is 3 feet wide by 2 foot deep. There are two ledges on the wall of the cave that look to be cut for a person to stand. On the floor of the cave is a large rock the size of a dining room table and is three feet high. how the rock got there is a mystery. the cave is limestone and the table rock is sandstone. the room is 12 by 16 feet. there is a lot of rock chips on the floor. with or detector we found an old flintlock type Rifle with the largest bore i have ever seen, Its more rust than gun. If you tap on the walls or floor it sounds hollow. no carvings at all. I'll tell the rest of this story later this week and what the rest of the map has on it. One thing, about 2 miles from this hill is a cave with the date 1632 on it. (any ideas.)

I will probably get blasted for stating the obvious, but this story is a bunch of junk. Go to his profile and read his other posts. This "mystery" is a combination of things he was been talking about for awhile.

Now lets assume I am completley wrong. Dont you think its strange that:

1* Pictures are almost never available on this type of story....although we can all take and post pictures of the penny we found the previous day.

2* That he had to use a topo map to find a "bend" in the river, but when he got there it was a nice little trail going down to a grave yard......then another nice trail and a stone covered in moss with a sign pointing to a cave that noone had been in since the 1600's?

3* It started in the 80's, but his work schedule had him wait almost 15 years to follow up.

4* In his posts, at the time he said he was doing this, he stated that he was laid up at home with a broken ankle. I broke my foot 10 years ago and i assure you most wouldn't be doing any hiking for a year or two.

Finally.......if all of it is true and he found a cave that easy, well.......15 year olds would have been drinking and making out in it since the beginning of civilization, so i assure you there would be markings on the wall (think "billy bob loves charlene").....and a gun that was almost all rust would have been trampled to dust by now or more likley taken home in freakin' 1842.

Sorry to ramble, but it makes me mad when i start reading a great th story and then it gets really obvious that it is a bunch of bs.......i wonder what kinda thrill the beerocks of the world get out of doing this?

hh,
jim

ps before the believers start blasting away at me and boomer gets "offended" i challenge him to provide a picture of ANYTHING. i personally think his camera will be broken, or his hard drive crashed and lost all of the pictures, etc etc

Upvote 0
If I were you, boomer, I would post the original headstone pics. :-\ A picture tells a thousand words.

Upvote 0
Part of the story sounds too similar to the 11 people buried in the same mass grave in Maplewood Cemetery, outside Mayfield in Graves County, KY. According to the marker, they all died in a house fire in 1921.
And it IS hard to believe a cave that easy to find and publicly accessible hasn't been defaced by the drunken, drugged out a-hole vandals running around EVERY community these days.
So lets hear the rest of the story and see the pics Boomer.
Your story teaser was posted on the Internet at My Treasure Spot and the Wolfe County Web forums both, quite a while back. One of my relatives in Bath Co KY remembered it too because we discussed it. They are pretty sure where you're going with the 1632 thing (Spaniards, right?!) and always wanted to check the story out, so let's hear it. Is it in Powell Co? It didn't sound like it was near 'Ashland' ;), so where?
It's a story that needs to be finished.

Upvote 0
Sounds like a great story and i dont really care if its true, false, or partly true...Any pics of the gun? If the bore is larger than an inch it could have been a cannon or something, even an inch is massive though. I would really like to see pics too, as you can tell we people really like pics :P ;D I dont think your story is posibble, weird things like this are just there ::)

Upvote 0
Okay, I am going to be a 'believer' until some one can prove you wrong. It sounds like you have several things going on in one place. Let's forget about the cabin and fire that seems to have another story behind it. The date 1632 , Spaniards maybe! There is several stories of Spanish mines in Kentucky, but they all seem to be very elusive. You need to comb the area around the
date marker. If it is a marker of that time period, there should be evidence of more. Search a couple of the nearby bluffs and ledges.The mysterious grave markers are a puzzle. I would need to see a drawing or layout of the hillside. I think you can rule out
Civil War burial markers. All of the skirmish gravesites, that I have visited, were just field-stones stood erect as a head marker. The cut stones were in large cemeteries or at a major conflict like Perryville. The sandstone table in the cave is interesting, and I have a couple of suggestions. There is the story of a lead mine on Salt River near Lawrenceburg, Kentucky that has a sandstone table in the center. There is supposedly a 'U' carved on the right side of the entrance. The story goes that it was used by the
Union Army as a meeting quarter for the ranking officials of the brigades covering the area. I have searched for this mine on two occasions, but I have had no luck in finding it. Another possibility is the Indians. Kentucky was sacred hunting grounds and several different Indian tribes roamed the area. On my father's property is a bluff that had an oval sandstone rock in the center of it. The bluff was small ( 4 feet high, about 12 feet wide, and roughly 8 feet deep). The oval sandstone was about 2 feet across and 3 1/2 feet in Length. Story had it that an Indian medicine man worked under this bluff. One day I took my detector, just for grins, to this bluff. In about 15 minutes, I got a hit, but I figured it was an old pull tab or can. But, I was just playing so I dug it up anyway. I found a small 1 foot diameter hole about 8 inches under the surface. It was lined in small rocks and was about 10 inches deep. There were several arrowheads, knife points,one axe head, and a small rock sphere. The rock sphere is what tipped off the detector. If you hold it up in the light, you can see a small hair line strand that appears to be gold. I took it to
Cumberland College, and they told me that they would have to destroy it to analyze it. I didn't let them, and it now sits on my father's mantle along with some of the other finds. And, NO! There was no graffiti or vandalism around the area. So, there are still spots off the beaten path that have managed to elude the destructive nature of various individuals.

Now I have one for you! I have found a deep well with no indication of a home around it. the well is about 12 feet deep and 8 feet in diameter. It is lined in sandstone rock. Usually, you can find a pile of rock were an old fireplace stood, but there is no sign. Approximately, 20 yards from the well is an unusual rock fence that is around 30 yards long with a 2 X 2 pillar at the end. What makes this unusual is the way the rocks are laid. Instead of stacked flat, they are laid on end. I have tried to find something similar and an origin but have not been successful. Any ideas?

Upvote 0
Boomer is not Beekrock.
I have topos and other material from Boomer on treasure sites in KY. He is a treasure hunter and very good with maps. He doesn't have to prove anything to us.

Boomer, If I can find anything I will send it to you.

There were white explorers in early KY. Sir Walter Riley (sic) was one. Riley died in 1618, but it shows that the area was explored during that time.

Upvote 0
.......but still no pictures! I guess he has them but chooses not to post because we offended him.

oh well ::)

btw.....why would someone ask for help and then refuse to share ANY information?

Upvote 0
jreamy4 said:
.......but still no pictures!? I guess he has them but chooses not to post because we offended him.

oh well? ::)

btw.....why would someone ask for help and then refuse to share ANY information?

He apparently Felt Insulted :(

He hasn't been back sinse his last post here.

Upvote 0
maybe there should be a rule that no one can say another person is a liar or critisize his post..too many people have left because of people critisizing their posts :'(

Upvote 0
For the record: I never meant to insult him in any way.

I guess he didn't beleive the Beekrock saga and was insulted that I compared his story with Beek's. I for one really enjoyed the Beekrock saga and believed everything except his not knowing what was in the suitcase. But hey, maybe he didn't know what was inside.

Anyway, if Boomer happens to read this, I was looking forward to a good story and wish you would post it. :-\

Upvote 0
DigEmAll said:
For the record:? I never meant to insult him in any way.

I guess he didn't beleive the Beekrock saga and was insulted that I compared his story with Beek's.? I for one really enjoyed the Beekrock saga and believed everything except his not knowing what was in the suitcase.? But hey, maybe he didn't know what was inside.?

Anyway, if Boomer happens to read this, I was looking forward to a good story and wish you would post it.? ?:-\

FOR THE RECORD I KNEW WHAT YOU MEANT

I read over Your Post several Times Since he Got Upset.
I still Can't See what He was Upset about.
? I ONLY see one Post that questions Him & that was After He Left.
? ?IF I knew Deleting it would Bring Him Back I would.
? ?But I was hopeing He'd Respond to it? :(
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?It's a Shame But Some people are a little too Touchy? :(

Upvote 0
Boomer, I felt like i was insulted a while back when i tried to get help on the shipwreck forum. Sometimes its just a misunderstanding. If you feel you are right, then get back on and post to show them that they are wrong, and it will not stop you from looking for help from those that are interested.
Bigcypresshunter

Upvote 0
If anyone knows Boomer, can you give him a call and tell him that I didn't mean to insult him? That is the last thing I would ever try to do to a guy trying to solve a problem. Hell, if he doesn't want to talk to me that's fine too, but there are others on the TN with a wealth of information that can help him out.

Skeptics, admit it, you can't tell me that you didn't read something on the Beekrock saga that made you say "Hmmmmm.... never thought of that!"

I remember as a kid watching an old fellow dowsing for water. He told the farmer for whom he was dowsing that he should dig his stock pond in a certain area. My dad who was there asked the dowser how he knew and the gent says "Well, the rods showed me for one, and well, it hasn't rained in weeks, and you see how the grass is taller and greener over there? Well, the water is going to be close there." The farmer dug a few days later, and hit a large spring. That pond has water to this day. Moral of the story is that he was observant and I learned how to locate an area to dig a pond.... without the sticks. Everyone has something useful to teach. EVERYONE, even people that throw chicken bones! ;)

Upvote 0
Hey Jeff,

Feel free to delete my posts if you think it will help. I stand by what i said.....but I never realized how many people wanted to hear stories, fact or fiction.

I'll keep at least some of my opinions to myself :)

HH,

Jim

Upvote 0
Yeah, we can't be too thin-skinned out here on the NET. Posts are just words....it's not like someone's gonna skin you and make a coat out of ya because you disagree........... ;)
I'm on one other TH forum and someone commented on my very first post/thread there that one of the detectors I have basically sucks. Talk about getting off on the wrong foot. But I replied with a joking post instead of getting offended and the guy has been nothing but friendly every since.
Remember, sometimes WE know what we mean, but someone else might not understand.

Upvote 0
If you think you were offensive, perhaps you should PM him with an apology. However, why assume he's pissed? He may just be busy...job, wife, kids, in-laws, Christmas shopping, vehicle maintenance, home repair, FIELD WORK.....hell, it took him about two decades to find time to visit the site the first time. Hopefully he won't delay that long, but clearly he has other demands on his time.

Upvote 0
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,3103.0/topicseen.html
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,19699.0/topicseen.html

read these? this is y we doubt stories like this sorry again!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A) geese DEk, I am glad that you didn't include some of "my "stories" in your post.

Like the giant serpent in the Rio Fuerte, the pichi cuate, a tiny poisonous Snake 10"long, the skeletons of the giants with reddish hair near here, the "little people of perhaps 3 ' high, the landlocked manta rays, luminous gases indicating buried treasures, 100's of treasure stories, life with the Yaqui and Maya Indians, living in the jungles of southen Mexico for 6 months living off of the country looking for Mayan ruins, and on and on, ad-nauseas

Seriously Dek, unless he is selling or promoting, I like to hear stories , true or not, just for the fun of it. Remember 90% of our gov'ts stories are plain BS also heehhe.

Besides if everyone just wanted "true" stories, most book sellers, authors and publishers would be out of business.

Incidentally, the Tayopa story is still considered plain BS by most , a lovely legend like King Solomon's mines to most. this is in spite of my finding and now owning it. I rather suspect that many in here have me classified as a monumental "Beek or Baron Munchhausen"

I like to hear stories, true or not, when I see flaws or out right fibs, I just keep them to myself and file them away as possible literary license. Believe me, the Tayopa was/is loaded with them, it took years to sort them out. But if I had dismissed the story as BS upon finding the the first fib, it would still be lost...

Jose de Lamancha ( I tilt windmills ) & shibboleths

p.s. ever get your story of the Window Peak?

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back