Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
White's Spectra v3i
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Whites Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just about the time I got my new Deus II, I was looking at an old map of my neighborhood and discovered that in 1940, there was a house sitting in what is now my front yard. This surprised me greatly, so I started hunting old photos and found a 1955 aerial photo, with no trace of the house. So it was there sometime before 1940 to get "on the map", but was completely vanished by 1955.

So I worked out the distances from the old map and got a good guess to where the house was, and started hunting. I quickly discovered that my entire front yard is littered with iron.

I don't know when the house was built, but I'm assuming mid to late 1800's. So far I haven't found anything with a date on it, but what little I have found seems to back up those dates.

So I'm starting this thread to post interesting things, mostly for feedback as I try to understand the history of those who were here before I was. Here's some of the stuff I've found so far. Any comments on what they are, or what they are used for, are welcome.

This was identified (thanks to this board!) as a suspender adjuster, pre-1920.
suspender_clip_front.JPG suspender_clip_back.JPG

And this one is part of a victorian bed rail attachment.
bed_rail_hardware.JPG

This one is a spoon, obviously. Silver plated, well worn. I haven't found an exact match on the pattern and I can't quite read the maker's mark, but the stuff I find that's close is in the early 1880's. Interestingly, I found this standing vertically in the ground, big end down. It took some digging to extract it.

spoon.JPG spoon_front_close.JPG spoon_back_close.JPG spoon_stamp.JPG

I've also found a few shotgun shell end caps. At first I ignored these thinking they were just trash from a careless modern hunter, but after investigating, these are from around 1900 (Union Metal Cartridge Company, "New Club" style, produced between 1891 and 1911).
caps.jpg

And some iron stuff...

horseshoes.JPG bolts_nuts.JPG insulator_front.JPG insulator_back.JPG

I've found several of those square nuts. They look like they might be blacksmith-made because while the hole diameter is pretty consistent, the size and thickness of the nut itself varies quite a bit. And that thing that looks like a telegraph insulator is a mystery -- iron wouldn't make a very good insulator.

Then there's this partial plate -- quarter inch thick and heavy. Maybe a stove part?
round_plate_front.JPG round_plate_back.JPG

And then there's this thing.
massive.JPG
It's about 8" diameter, about an inch thick, with a 1/4" "rim" around one side, totally flat on the other. And it's heavy -- weighing exactly 2 kilograms (4.4 lbs) in its current state. No obvious handle or anything to indicate use.

So there's what I know so far. I will post more as I discover it...

Upvote 38
Left side of picture and near the backside ..
But no , no match.
View attachment 2167204
But it does illustrate the concept, and I think that's what it was for. Just don't know on what. Too bad it doesn't have any markings on it (part number, manufacturer name, or anything like that).

But it does illustrate the concept, and I think that's what it was for. Just don't know on what. Too bad it doesn't have any markings on it (part number, manufacturer name, or anything like that).
Maybe down the road more will be added to the puzzle.
Or not!
All part of the fun.

Yesterday I got a decent signal that wound up being too deep and too big to dig at the time, so I vowed to come back to that spot today and dig up whatever it was, junk or not. It was about eight or ten inches down to what looked like the rim of a pan or something. So I dug. And dug. And dug some more. The more I dug, the more I saw that it wasn't a pan, but maybe a bucket, upside down.

View attachment 2087823

That photo is deceptive -- it took me a good hour and a half to get to that point. As I dug, I began to encounter some good sized rocks. They were very tightly wedged and I had to remove them one at a time. There were way more rocks than I'd expect, since the ground isn't that rocky. But I began noticing that the rocks were more or less in layers, and only around the "bucket", not on top of it. I began to think this might be a capped well.

After even more digging than what the photo shows, and lots of tedious rock removal, I got to the bottom rim of the "bucket" and was able to pull it up. It turns out it wasn't a bucket at all, but a section of iron pipe that the end had been rusted and flattened a bit, with dirt filling it in to make it look like a bucket. Underneath the pipe was a round stone, which was nearly a perfect match to the diameter of the pipe, fitting just inside it. Here is the stone, the pipe, and my size 12 foot for reference.

View attachment 2087821

I'm still thinking that looks like a well cap, but there was no more pipe under it, and no hole going down. I did dig down beneath it a little more, and there were no rocks directly below it, just dirt. So I'm guessing if there ever was a well there, they filled it with dirt, then capped it, and then Mother Nature glued it all back together.

I also found one old red clay brick among the stones, which was interesting.

I did run my coil and pinpointer all over the hole and the dirt, and there was nothing else there but some square nails. However, I did have a nice surprise pop out of one side of the hole.

View attachment 2087822

It's too bad that it has a chip out of the rim, but it's still a cool old bottle. No idea of the contents or vintage, but judging from everything I've found so far, it's gotta be pretty old. A neat surprise after all that digging.

I left the pipe and "capstone" where I found them -- I think we may erect one of those decorative "wishing well" things on that spot. It seems fitting.

I also noticed a slightly depressed area in the ground in what would probably have been the edge of the back yard. Trash pit, maybe? I haven't detected over that area yet, but it's on my list.
Awesome to find the bottle in such good condition with only a chip! What a great mystery...I'm reading through this all with one question...what happened to the house? 😊

OK now I'm convinced the depression is a cellar hole. Still could be something else, I guess, but there are a few reasons I'm thinking that. I read an article or blog or something the other day about cellar holes and it said they are often a square depression that will be surrounded by lots of iron nails. That's definitely true in my case -- the depression is eight to ten feet square, and I've pulled a bunch of nails out around the edges, but none in the middle (yet?).

But what really convinced me is a find last night. Still just rusty old iron, but it's of the interesting sort. Here it is, just out of the ground:

View attachment 2090951

Unless I'm mistaken, that's part of a cast iron wood cookstove. That part sits between the circular "burners" on the top of the stove.

This was recovered from the depression, about a foot and a half down. I'm kinda surprised I picked it up that deep, honestly, but it was a strong and solid signal, with a VDI of 68. Much like the possible ash door I recovered the other night, this was under a bunch of rocks that were wedged in and I had to remove one at a time to get down to it. Lots of air space under the rocks, and seemed to be more so the deeper I went.

But here's the fun part, and the reason I think it must be a cellar hole, and the reason that now even my wife says "dig it up". I think the rest of the stove may be down there too. When I pulled this part out, I re-checked the hole. Same strong signal still present. I checked the hole again with the pinpointer, and I get tone at the sides, where the edges of this was. I cleared a couple more rocks, and I can see a metal edge, rounded in the opposite direction, in the same plane that this was laying. And there's a larger metal bulge beneath that. I can't see enough of it yet to say whether it's the rest of the stove or just some random iron thing, but the orientation and proximity make me think the two pieces are related.

So now I have a larger project, digging slow and careful and removing what is probably a large pile of rocks, just to see what's at the bottom of this hole. I ran out of daylight yesterday, but this will be my "little bit at a time" project for the next few days.

This also makes me think "house" more than "barn". Who puts a cellar at the barn? (Or an outhouse either, for that matter, if I'm wrong about it being a cellar.). I was thinking about all the horse related finds and how that made me want to think "barn", but that's only because of my modern perspective. Back in those days, they used horses like we use cars, so having horse stuff near the house doesn't really seem like it would be unusual.

I'm thinking if it was a house, it must predate the businessman who I found used to own this place. He moved here in 1907, but the house he had is now on the neighbor's property. And the artifacts I've found so far date earlier than that, more like late 1800's. So I guess I have to dig back to whoever owned it before that. Fun stuff.

The mystery deepens as the digging continues....
House with a carriage house attached? Love this journal!

Remember that piece of leather I found on Monday that looked like part of a shoe? Well, it was. I found the rest of it last night under a big rock. I managed to get it out mostly intact, but it started falling apart the more I moved it. (I'm beginning to appreciate how tedious archaeology must be). Here it is last night's part just out of the ground, then reunited with the piece from Monday.

View attachment 2098670 View attachment 2098671

It's fairly small and narrow. I'm guessing it was a woman's shoe. The sole is multiple layers of leather stacked and sewn together, and the top was a single layer of leather. Perhaps this is one of the shoes that was polished from the Bixby bottle that I found the bottom of. I am really amazed that it survived over a century in the ground. Bixby's must have been some powerful stuff.
Wow! The plot thickens...

.I'm reading through this all with one question...what happened to the house? 😊
That's a good question and one that I've asked myself as well. It's really quite a puzzle. Based on things I've found, this house had to have been in use since at least 1897 (found a local dog tax tag with that date). But I know the property sold in 1907, and the owner at that time built another house (which is still standing and now on the neighboring property). But the mystery house was still standing and on the map as late as 1940.

Given the large number of square nails, I'm thinking maybe it burned and was then bulldozed. The nails are mostly concentrated in an area kinda between the well and the cellar, though some are scattered further out.

One of these days I'm going to go to the county courthouse and see if I can trace the ownership back into the 1800's. If I had some names to add to the research I might figure out some more things.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back