Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dug this button up at an old house yesterday. Unfortunately there is no shank or backing on it to help ID it. :-\
Any ideas what it could be? It looks to me like a "JTE" on the front. :icon_scratch:
It is 23mm , was a 2-piece, and has a bit of gold gilt still on it.
??????????????????????????????????
Thanks,
MM

Attachments

• Mystery button.jpg
    Mystery button.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 511
Looks like another one of those modernish blazer button.

Upvote 0
CRUSADER said:
Looks like another one of those modernish blazer button.

Coming from you, that could be 1700's and newer. :tongue3: ;D :wink:
Thanks Crusader.
-MM-

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
The most noticable element of the button is the "fasces" - being the bundled reeds around an axe. It's the most notable ancient Roman symbol adopted by the Italians during Mussolini's Faciest government. It's also seen depicted on our wonderful and sexy U.S. Winged Liberty Head dime (1916 - 1945).

Maybe the "JTE" is the roman letters for "LE".

I think it's a modern blazer button.

Upvote 0
Montana Jim said:
The most noticable element of the button is the "fasces" - being the bundled reeds around an axe. It's the most notable ancient Roman symbol adopted by the Italians during Mussolini's Faciest government. It's also seen depicted on our wonderful and sexy U.S. Winged Liberty Head dime (1916 - 1945).

Maybe the "JTE" is the roman letters for "LE".

I think it's a modern blazer button.

Thanks for the info Jim.
We'll go with your & Crusader's blazer button then. :thumbsup:
When I dug it yesterday it was almost dark out. I thought I had an eagle button. :tongue3:
Have a great week.
-Doug-

Attachments

• Snappy blazer.jpg
    Snappy blazer.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 645
Upvote 0
Found these in my mothers sewing machine. It is quite likely she took them off one of my fathers jackets from the 60's to 80's.
20171116_101616.jpg20171116_101825.jpg

Upvote 0
DYL, please post a closeup photo of the buttons' back... even if it's "plain." The shape of the shank/loop is important for time-dating the button(s). Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0
I found this picture showing the backs. It looks like 3 different sizes. Modern fashion button in my opinion.

Attachments

• jte buttons.jpg
    jte buttons.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 143
Upvote 0
Thanks for the photo, Fyrffytr1. Yep, that cheaply made simple flat pierced iron/steel back with a "wobble shank" means modern Fashion blazer/coat button.

Upvote 0
Depends on the back. The button is the National Emblem of France developed after the French Revolution in about 1905. If the back has a soldered on shank, those are the oldest. Then the backs would have had a looped shank through a slot in the back, (inserted loop). Later, a tin back with a self shank which looked pretty rough. These were the metal buttons that got lost a lot because the backs would cut through the threads. Modern ones have the self shank pressed in, but the edges are rolled. France Sill uses the emblem with various Presidents changing the design slightly. I have not been able to determine if this particular design was used for military, (Those included oak leaves), but it would appear it was used for French apparel and was a French made button. The initials are not JTE but rather an R over an E and stylized.

Upvote 0
Wobble shank is just after the civil war up until about the 1940's. After that it is the self shank and the wobble shank. Wobble in a square slot is older. I have an almost new one and the shank is self make on the tin back.

Upvote 0
The French love to stylize everything! It's actually RE with one being stamped over the other. It's the National Emblem of France developed in 1905. Depending upon the kind of shank will determine the age. I don't think it is a military button, but a fashion one. It does not include oak leaves which were used on the military ones. Still a French button which, depending upon age, can be worth something to button collectors.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back