My first Spanish silver! - Western Indiana

bcbirdman

Apr 14, 2023
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This weekend I found one of my bucket list items: a Spanish silver coin. It is a 2 Real coin with a hole punched through it. Still in decent enough shape to identify, even though much is rubbed off, including the date. I was able to make out "Ferdin VII" which stands for Ferdinand the 7th who ruled Spain in the early 1800s. I can also make out "Hispan." which stands for Hispania of course, as well as the Mint mark which is "M" for Mexico. This coin should date roughly between 1810-1821.

The other funny thing about this is that it wasn't found on a home site. It was a random drop because I found nothing else in the near vicinity and was only able to detect it with my machine because I was walking back to my car and thought "couldn't hurt to swing the detector" instead of shut it off and just carry it. haha

I also posted a couple images of a coin in much better condition on eBay that I believe mostly matches mine. The image of mine was edited to display both front and back in one image.

Attachments

• 25A5F55B-F43C-4A02-A43E-C97ED560E185.jpg
    25A5F55B-F43C-4A02-A43E-C97ED560E185.jpg
    236.2 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_5251.jpg
    IMG_5251.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_5250.jpg
    IMG_5250.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 25
Upvote 13
Also the assayer's mark on mine seems to say I. I. which I cannot find anywhere. I found a website that claims to document all assayers of spanish reales and none had the initials I. I. So if anyone knows more about this, I'd love to hear more. Thanks!

This weekend I found one of my bucket list items: a Spanish silver coin. It is a 2 Real coin with a hole punched through it. Still in decent enough shape to identify, even though much is rubbed off, including the date. I was able to make out "Ferdin VII" which stands for Ferdinand the 7th who ruled Spain in the early 1800s. I can also make out "Hispan." which stands for Hispania of course, as well as the Mint mark which is "M" for Mexico. This coin should date roughly between 1810-1821.

The other funny thing about this is that it wasn't found on a home site. It was a random drop because I found nothing else in the near vicinity and was only able to detect it with my machine because I was walking back to my car and thought "couldn't hurt to swing the detector" instead of shut it off and just carry it. haha

I also posted a couple images of a coin in much better condition on eBay that I believe mostly matches mine. The image of mine was edited to display both front and back in one image.
Nice find

Super Find! Still waiting to find my first!!:notworthy::headbang::hello2:

Never turn the machine off until back to the truck! May many great items found walking back to the ride.
Greats on a super keeper. I sure hope one day I can hit that bucket lister.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back