My first SLQ!!

Casey13

Sep 17, 2021
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Everyone,
I'm so excited to have found my first Standing liberty Quarter! And I found it without the detector too lol. I went out to an early 1900s site where there has been a bunch of old trash from that time period. I've pulled many bottles and all kinds of neat finds metal and non metal over the past couple of years. Ive never been able to find a silver coin there, just indians, wheats and V nickels. The last couple of days I've just been digging over the stuff that I've went through in the past and have been finding little pieces that I've missed. Well today I had my detector on but just had it leaning on a tree and was digging around. I first popped out this neat old hair clip and was just happy with that. About 10 minutes later I popped a broken bottle neck out of the ground and I just barely caught the glimpse of a round object inside the neck. I knew right away it was silver and while looking at part of the visible design I thought SLQ or maybe a religious pendant. I stopped right there and headed out with excitement to go rinse it off. I couldn't believe the detail it had on it too!
Thank you so much for looking!

Attachments

• 20230411_201652.jpg
    20230411_201652.jpg
    705.3 KB · Views: 424
  • 20230411_201603.jpg
    20230411_201603.jpg
    551 KB · Views: 320
  • 20230411_182238.jpg
    20230411_182238.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 267
  • 20230411_182247.jpg
    20230411_182247.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 212
  • 20230411_182253.jpg
    20230411_182253.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 193
  • 20230411_182536.jpg
    20230411_182536.jpg
    1,008.6 KB · Views: 188
  • 20230411_182545.jpg
    20230411_182545.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 319
Upvote 59
What a great story! Congrats on a really sharp SLQ. Usually the date is worn off when I find them. Yours looks freshly minted.

Hi Everyone,
I'm so excited to have found my first Standing liberty Quarter! And I found it without the detector too lol. I went out to an early 1900s site where there has been a bunch of old trash from that time period. I've pulled many bottles and all kinds of neat finds metal and non metal over the past couple of years. Ive never been able to find a silver coin there, just indians, wheats and V nickels. The last couple of days I've just been digging over the stuff that I've went through in the past and have been finding little pieces that I've missed. Well today I had my detector on but just had it leaning on a tree and was digging around. I first popped out this neat old hair clip and was just happy with that. About 10 minutes later I popped a broken bottle neck out of the ground and I just barely caught the glimpse of a round object inside the neck. I knew right away it was silver and while looking at part of the visible design I thought SLQ or maybe a religious pendant. I stopped right there and headed out with excitement to go rinse it off. I couldn't believe the detail it had on it too!
Thank you so much for looking!
Beauty. Congrats

What a great story! Congrats on a really sharp SLQ. Usually the date is worn off when I find them. Yours looks freshly minted.
Thank you!! So crazy the way I found it. I agree with you, they must have lost it not too long after it was minted.

As a near 50 year collector of SLQs, I always look forward to seeing them posted, in any condition, and yours is fantastic- Congrats!!

Very nice find :)

Congrats on your first SLQ. That coin is a blazer ! The date is unreal, and it looks like it was dropped the day after it was minted.

Huge congrats on your first SLQ "Casey13" !!!!
Stellar find in fantastic shape. Please DO NOT polish it.
The natural tarnish of the dark gray background & the light gray 1917 makes the date stand out even sharper.
Here's a photo of a 1917 in uncirculated condition. Notice how the date blends in with the background making it less distinguishable. Yours has great age character.
s-l1600.jpg

Also, below is a link to the history of the 1917-variety 1 & variety 2. Because of Lady Liberty's bare right breast, it is believed by some that the breast was covered up in variety 2 because of a stink brought up by groups of
Goody-2-Shoes prudes that raised a ruckus forcing the change. I guess Michelangelo's Statue of David was okay for 400 years but a partially exposed breast was sacrilege for some people. Go figure.
LINK to the 2 varieties of the 1917 SLQs:

Last edited:
FANTASTIC FIND !! AMAZING DETAIL on the STANDING LIBERTY QUARTER :) CONGRATS !!!

Even when you find a SLQ without a date, always look to see if there are stars under the reverse eagle. If none, then you have either a 1916 or 1917 coin; and there are ways to determine if the coin is a 1916 or a 1917 even without the date.
Don in SoCal.

Congrats on your first SLQ. That coin is a blazer ! The date is unreal, and it looks like it was dropped the day after it was minted.
Thank you so much Trezurehunter!! I completely agree that it doesn't look like it was circulated much after it was minted.

Huge congrats on your first SLQ "Casey13" !!!!
Stellar find in fantastic shape. Please DO NOT polish it.
The natural tarnish of the dark gray background & the light gray 1917 makes the date stand out even sharper.
Here's a photo of a 1917 in uncirculated condition. Notice how the date blends in with the background making it less distinguishable. Yours has great age character.
View attachment 2079479
Also, below is a link to the history of the 1917-variety 1 & variety 2. Because of Lady Liberty's bare right breast, it is believed by some that the breast was covered up in variety 2 because of a stink brought up by groups of
Goody-2-Shoes prudes that raised a ruckus forcing the change. I guess Michelangelo's Statue of David was okay for 400 years but a partially exposed breast was sacrilege for some people. Go figure.
LINK to the 2 varieties of the 1917 SLQs:
Thank you so much!!
Trust me, I won't. I only ran water over it to get the dirt off and then put it in a plastic capsule.
And I completely agree with you with how nice the tarnished parts of the coin are.
Thank you for the link! I have loved the design of this coin for a while and was about to buy a type 1 early last year because I didn't think I was ever going to be lucky enough to find one lol.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back