My first cache, not what you expect

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
This is such a cool and unusual find that I am going to give it it's own thread. I found this today while searching in a park in a nearby town.

I was covering all the play areas, volleyball courts, and sandboxes at this park I passed this morning on the way to a nearby school.

When I came to the sandbox, I started finding a bunch of change, pennies, nickels, and dimes, and then I got a huge signal. I was expecting to find a hot wheels car, instead, I found this.

Gold Box.jpg

I shook it and the sounds inside intriqued me. I was excited because it's a gold foil cardboard jewelry type box but held off opening it until I got home so I could photograph it. As I continued to search the entire sandbox, I found three more.

Gold Boxes.jpg

I put them in my pouch and finished searching the park areas and then also hit a school this morning in my 3 hours of hunting.

When I got home, I opened the boxes. They were all taped with a yellow duct tape. To my surprise they actually have treasure in them!! I was really happy when I saw what was inside as I have found a similar "cache" one time and they held gold coin chocolates, really moldy ones :-\.

Cache T.jpg

Cache F.jpg

Here's a close up of one of them.

Cache goodies.jpg

I must say that this is one of my most unusual finds, and these are actually my first new dollars I have found. Also my first SBA $1 of the year. My 5th Sac $1. I love finding marbles too, so getting 16 in one go is pretty cool.

I guess this was from a "Penny Scramble" in the sandbox during a 4th of July party there, maybe yesterday because I am really surprised that someone wasn't more thourough about finding all these once they found out what was inside. If I was a kid at this party, I would have sifted the entire sandbox...lol. ;D

I know it's kind of weird but I would like to count this as my first cache. What do you think, is it a cache?

I will post all my weekend finds in another thread in a little while as I still have to clean todays pouchful. I had a really good day yesterday with one of those highlight finds of year for me.

HH and thanks for reading!

Smiles!
BDoo

Upvote 0
That is great. And its at least one cahce. And to have an idea of the (recent) history is great to. Keep it up.

HH.

Cynangyl said:
that is just too cool! One would have been cool but four is awesome! :D Leave it to Bdoo to find something so unusual! :D Just curious....do you leave anything at all for others who live around there to find? lol :D

Hi Cyn... hey, I didn't hunt the school there that I was going to originally (it had pea gravel), they can hunt there I guess...lol.
Thanks for the nice comment Cyn!! I am really happy finding this one!

Smiles!
BDoo

Jack(IN) said:
Congrats on the marbles and those dolar coins, not often you find four in a day. May not be a cache but still a fun find!

Definitely a fun find!! Thanks Jack!

Smiles!
BDoo

Green1 said:
sweeeet !!! i couldn't have waited......very cool.... ;D ;D ;D ;D

Last time when I found the gold coins (moldie chocolates) last year, I opened them there and chucked them out only to be bummed that I didn't share them here, so I had that in my mind. When I shook it and hard the strange chinking glassy sounds, I was definitely intriqued ... but I managed to wait...lol.

Thanks Rick. Best of luck out there!

Smiles!
BDoo

Check that washington dollar for a smooth edge type. No motto or date. there worth about 50 to 80.00 on ebay.

Chicago Ron

Sheldius said:
That is great. And its at least one cahce. And to have an idea of the (recent) history is great to. Keep it up.

HH.
'
Thanks Sheldius!! HH and best of luck to you bud!

Smiles!
BDoo

Chicago Ron said:
Check that washington dollar for a smooth edge type. No motto or date. there worth about 50 to 80.00 on ebay.

Chicago Ron

No smooth edge or the other minor defects. My first New dollars though which makes me ;D

THANKS for the heads up!

BDoo

BDoo,
Very neat find. Don't give up yet, the other missing #'s may still be out there somewhere? ;D At least they weren't Chuck-E-Cheese tokens inside!
Well, if "Johnny Cache" is already taken, have about we call you "The Sandlot Kid"? ;)
Cool post,
MM

nice find! I'd say it was a cache, I mean, they were all buried there on purpose so I think it qualifies.

I don't think I could have waited to see what was inside! Congrats!

ModernMiner said:
BDoo,
Very neat find. Don't give up yet, the other missing #'s may still be out there somewhere? ;D At least they weren't Chuck-E-Cheese tokens inside!
Well, if "Johnny Cache" is already taken, have about we call you "The Sandlot Kid"? ;)
Cool post,
MM

It's funny you say that because before I opened them, I was wondering what was inside (thinking it was going to be some junk thing of some kind because that's real life) and I did actually think that they were Chuck E Cheese tokens. ;D The $1 are much better!!

These were just little scooby snacks for my trusty ole Garrett!!!

Thanks again!

Smiles!
BDoo

captain Jack said:
nice find! I'd say it was a cache, I mean, they were all buried there on purpose so I think it qualifies.

I don't think I could have waited to see what was inside! Congrats!

Thanks Capt Jack!! It's probably the closest I'll ever come to a real cache so I'll take it ;D

Smiles!
BDoo

way too cool yep it 4 caches really ---$4 and lots of cool looking marbles to boot---Ivan

That's a really cool cache Booby.

I love old marbles. Those are some really nice one's. You never know what your gonna find out there.

HH Jer

Real neat and unusual!
Cool treasure boxes, nice....

Keep safe...

NEAT-O Scooby! 8) Wow! Congrats on those finds!

Nana :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back