MXT and pinpointing

BamaBill

Nov 8, 2006
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 70, AT Pro, Tesoro Tejon, ML X-terra 50
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You know, I'm just starting to get proficient and used to the MXT and the only thing I still don't like is how it pinpoints. I have the older stock 9.5 on this machine (its about 3 years old, but I've only had it about 4 months). I was using a Tesoro before I got this and the Tesoro pinpoints like a dream, with its smaller center hole. Is the pinpointing issue why people have to buy the expensive add-on DX-1 pinpointer? Seems to me that if Whites made like a 9" or 10" concentric spider coil with a smaller center hole that could pinpointer tighter, there would be no need for that add-on. Is the center hole on the Super 12 coil smaller than the one on the stock coil?

Not sure what to tell you. I have been using my MXT for 5 years and it pinpoints like a dream for me. I can't really remember ever having a problem with it. The DX1 isn't to make up for any lack of ability for the MXT to pinpoint, it is for finding that small tough to see target in a plug so you don't have to shred it to locate it, check the plug or to see if its still in the hole and if its shallow you use the DX1 to get within in a dime size area over the target so no plug is needed, just pop it out. I was using the old 9.5 but I believe the center hole is about the same as the new one. My Super 12 coil has a slightly larger center hole but not much. The 4X6 is so small you cant miss with it. The only pinpoint problem I had was with my 6X9DD coil but since using it a bunch have had no more problems with it, just had to get used to pinpointing a different way. Anyway keep at it, I am sure you will nail it with more use.

Tape some string on the top of the coil across the center of the hole.. Or do both ways to make a crosshair.. It will give you better visual reference... Shouldn't take long at all to get the hang of it, then remove the string..

You know, the string idea is a great idea, think I'll give it a whirl. And, I think I'll use it to run some tests on where it pinpoints by taping a coin to the back of some cardboard and flipping it over. This way, if its not me, but an abberant coil problem I can then send it back to White's. If its just off center a little I can get used to it and know where to look. Thanks again for the idea.

Bill W.

You are right about checking where the coil pinpoints as it is rare that a coil has a "sweet spot" off center, but I've seen it on Bounty Hunters and never a Whites.

I have an MXT as well and use the standard 9.50 coil. Pinpoints dead center.

Maybe I should ask you, how do you THINK the machine should pinpoint?

Robert R

Deadcenter is correct as far as I'm concerned, but I seem to be frequently about 2" or 3" off. Just yesterday I was out with the MXT and my daughter was using our Tesoro Eldorado. I was having to dig slightly bigger holes to find stuff and just out of curiousity I started using the Eldorado when she was taking a break and I was hitting my targets dead center. I'm going to run some tests this week, while things are slow for the holidays, and maybe I can figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back