Detector(s) used
White's MXT, GPX 4800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• thingy.jpg
    thingy.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 556
that looks more like a coat hook, or possibly a curtain hook for holding the curtains back on the sides

Upvote 0
Yes, a hook makes sense. That would explain the broken iron end protruding from the trumpet base. Must have been the iron screw. Good call. :icon_thumright:

Upvote 0
Wasn't there a huge spotlight that could summon batman? I need the same thing for Breezy.

Upvote 0
Did someone ring? LOL :laughing7: Thanks for the vote of confidence, but I'm not sure about this one. It seems that a coat hook would have more of a rounded arc instead of an abrupt angle. It probably wouldn't take long to wear a hole in the coat. Is the non-trumpet end broken? It is shaped like a curtain tie-back, but I think it is too small for that. Could it be part of some type of small door pull? :dontknow: ;D Breezie

Attachments

• BrassDoorPull.JPG
    BrassDoorPull.JPG
    24 KB · Views: 497
Upvote 0
Breezie said:
Did someone ring? LOL :laughing7: Thanks for the vote of confidence, but I'm not sure about this one. It seems that a coat hook would have more of a rounded arc instead of an abrupt angle. It probably wouldn't take long to wear a hole in the coat. Is the non-trumpet end broken? It is shaped like a curtain tie-back, but I think it is too small for that. Let's ponder this one and get some more ideas. ;D Breezie
Thanks for swooping in! I know you have crime to fight so I'll keep it short. The non-trumpet end is rounded and does not look broken. The trumpet end bears the only sign of iron, so I believe that area contained a screw or fastener of some type. It could, however, had been faced with a brass or gold cap that fell off?? But then where would that leave us?

Upvote 0
Something to hold colonial toilet paper? Did colonists use toilet paper? :read2:

Upvote 0
kyphote said:
Something to hold colonial toilet paper? Did colonists use toilet paper? :read2:

LOL . . .too funny. Okay, so it is a hook to hold the Sears catalog since I don't think a corn cob would balance too well on that hook. Toilet paper was invented in the late Victorian era around the 1880's. Breezie

Upvote 0
looks like a door stop to me . It would have screwed into the floor and had a rubber tip that is now missing.

Upvote 0
After sleeping on it last night, I came up with this idea: Could it be a lantern hook. It had to be a reason why the arm from the trumpet end to the elbow was long. An old oil-filled lantern needed to be slid away from the wall somewhat. Since the piece is solid brass, the time era would be right too. Whutcha think? :dontknow: Breezie

Upvote 0
It iS a cup/cloak hook. Or at least of the 50 or so I have found have all been IDed that way. It's Georgian in period.

Daryl

Attachments

• Hook.jpg
    Hook.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 455
Upvote 0
Looks like a threaded screw has broken off of the belled end...this happens when screwed into hardwood and is hit sideways...

As to use, its anybodies guess from TP holder to a door stop...

Similar types are still available today....

Upvote 0
Daryl is right :icon_thumleft:

It's a variation of one of these..

Attachments

• hooks 001.JPG
    hooks 001.JPG
    36.3 KB · Views: 397
  • hooks 001.JPG
    hooks 001.JPG
    36.3 KB · Views: 386
Upvote 0
BioProfessor said:
It iS a cup/cloak hook. Or at least of the 50 or so I have found have all been IDed that way. It's Georgian in period.

Daryl

only 50, I lost count of the damn things :D

Upvote 0
CRUSADER said:
BioProfessor said:

Daryl

Right angled Pipe Tamper :laughing9:...good find :laughing7:

SS

Upvote 0
Silver Searcher said:
CRUSADER said:
BioProfessor said:

Daryl

Right angled Pipe Tamper :laughing9:...good find :laughing7:

SS

I knew you'd said something like that when I clicked :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9:

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back