🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Miscellaneous rocks some agate and Jasper

desertau

May 29, 2024
Some stones the agate mostly from China the jasper central California I believe the smaller pebbles from China but I’m not sure what they are, the rock that looks like a sun rise (or moon rise) over the mountains on a lake I think is agate from somewhere in China? I didn’t collect any of these they were all given to us from friends.

IMG_2499.jpeg
IMG_2497.jpeg
IMG_2498.jpeg
IMG_2496.jpeg
IMG_2501.jpeg
IMG_2503.jpeg
IMG_2502.jpeg

Actually your post was very helpful, I’d not known about Dendritic anything and googling it I was taken to white Dendritic Agate. I think this looks like that and the surface has a high polish, I believe Soapstone has a more waxy surface?
That’s very possible. It’s sometimes called moss agate too.

Upvote 2
Stone from the coliseum in Rome, I believe this is called Tufa, a stone found in the region and used on the interior of the Coliseum. My dad collected this when he was 18 in 1933 working as a musician on a cruise ship doing a world tour, the post card is from that trip.
IMG_2964.png

Last edited:
Upvote 1
I’m not sure what type of stone this is, it came from a friends carving studio in the area of Nian, China Inland a few hours from Shanghai.

This stone when exposed to a light source will glow for a fair amount of time.

To the best of my knowledge this is natural not man made, it is a hard feeling material, stone like more so than glass and carved into a bangle, although modern material of this type is made from glass so I’m not completely certain.

This link provides information on ancient and modern man made varieties.

IMG_2529.jpeg
IMG_2525.jpeg
IMG_2527.jpeg

Upvote 0
Upvote 1
Upvote 0
I’m not sure what type of stone this is, it came from a friends carving studio in the area of Nian, China Inland a few hours from Shanghai.

This stone when exposed to a light source will glow for a fair amount of time.

To the best of my knowledge this is natural not man made, it is a hard feeling material, stone like more so than glass and carved into a bangle, although modern material of this type is made from glass so I’m not completely certain.

This link provides information on ancient and modern man made varieties.

View attachment 2171332View attachment 2171333View attachment 2171334
Sorry, but this looks synthetic to me.

Upvote 1
It’s the real deal, my dad took it at the age of 18 in 1933 he passed away in 1977 so gonna be tough to prosecute.

I updated this into the post a few minutes ago.
If I stole your car and gave it to my son, would that make it his? Ever heard of "possession of stolen property"?

IANAL, so I'm not going to argue this. I would suggest that you investigate further.

Upvote 1
Sorry, but this looks synthetic to me.
It could be, but the carvers we know all are at the very top of their profession they are Masters and National treasures and each and everyone of their studios only work in the finest materials available so good it looks almost artifical.

One of our best friends has written a dozen books on most of Chinas master carvers all across China, this is the cover of one of her books about the carvers from Suzhou, China where they mostly carve Hetian Nephrite Jade from Xian Jiang this top quality material sells for $1000. USD per gram.
Ive traveled with her across China and am friends with many of them, and hosted several of them at my home.
IMG_2506.jpeg

Upvote 0
Some stones the agate mostly from China the jasper central California I believe the smaller pebbles from China but I’m not sure what they are, the rock that looks like a sun rise (or moon rise) over the mountains on a lake I think is agate from somewhere in China? I didn’t collect any of these they were all given to us from friends.

View attachment 2170381View attachment 2170382View attachment 2170383
First one looks very much like some petrified wood I have.

Third pic is dendritic agate--not soapstone.

Second pic is... The upper torso portion of a broken statue of Venus. 😁

Upvote 1
If taken in 1933? Were the laws the same then?
IDK--I said IANAL. All I can say is, it depends. E.g., The British Museum is constantly being criticized, investigated, & sued over artifacts looted decades/centuries ago (point being how long ago it happened may not matter).

Upvote 0
If I stole your car and gave it to my son, would that make it his? Ever heard of "possession of stolen property"?

IANAL, so I'm not going to argue this. I would suggest that you investigate further.
The car has a title, VIN and other identifiers, while the story told to me by my Dad is it came from the Colosseum and I believe him truth is this material is very common to the region and it would likely be very difficult or next to impossible to determine the exact origin it could have come from anywhere, Tufa is found world wide. Thanks for the heads up but if I tried to sell this I couldn’t prove the story one way or the other, nor could anyone else beyond maybe a very general area and I doubt the antiquities act extends to Tufa in general.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back