Misc data and adventures of a Tayopa treasure hunter

Hello Don Jose

The Company information I sent you worked on project in Ecuador. They researched old Spanish gold mining settlements that was mining gold. They researched two lost Spanish mining settlements Logroño de los Caballeros and New Sevilla de Oro. Not that dissimilar than your Tayopa story?

Kanacki

Hello All

I shall continue the yarn. Coffee? Well the pan was go and look for shipwreck south of NewZealand more of cruise than a salvage operation. Just as Don Mackay had rightly said following in the footsteps of Galleons we was following the wake of 19th century ships carrying gold to London. Sailing from Maggie we headed south. We Passed another shipwreck that me and crow had the pleasure diving on. The SS Yongala. You can see her story below.

But this for us at this point in time we had to haul sail down to Sydney down the Australian coast. The Crew by now with help of George Patrick and Sindy was like a well oil machine. Hauling sail tacking when needed. No beautiful sight my friends is a tall ship with a full rig of sails on her sailing the big blue ocean and gracious Swan. We had to make time before the weather changed for the worst down into sub antartic regions as we had only a slall window of oprtunity. Providing we could get a permit off the New Zealand government to sail to the out lying islands there. However for now it was sail down the Australian coast to Sydney.

Coffee?

Kanacki

Have you got your Coffee yet?

Well my friends we finally sailed down the coast of Australia down to Sydney. Ah Sydney is beautiful sight and magnificent scene sailing into port Jackson in a tall ship.

image.adapt.1200.HIGH.jpg

The drumbeat being a tall ship always get spoiled by harbour master who bend he rules for us. I think my friend every one yearns for the days of tall ships and one visits you usually get a good reception. I think there is nostalgia all that see these voyagers of the seas.

ggg.jpg

We got a plum anchorage my swabbies ;'-)

Ah whats a visit to Sydney without visiting the old haunts of Sydney. All though time my friends and the Sydney of old is harder to find. Some of the old sailors dens of iniquity still exist my friends. A pub crawl around the old rocks into old stone tavern once the haunt of convicts, sailors, and old whalers captains looking to Shanghai a crew of drunken swabbs off to go whaling. One such tavern was the "The Hero of Waterloo" of of Crows favorite watering holes.

5fdcaa7ad8c9cdf284b8234dd2f7ac56.jpg

This old stone tavern from 1843 built on a earlier haven perhaps 1815? It was once a notorious tavern as whaler captains conspired to Shanghai unsuspecting seaman drunk in the tavern. There was a trap door leading to a basement where the drunken sailor fall down into then belted over the head belaying pin. then dragged out through a tunnel out into harbour and placed aboard whaling ships eager to get crew. The landlord of the tavern got a cut per head of sailor he could trap that way. The shackles are still on the wall in the basement also the tunnel now blocked up still exists. Yet thankfully no shanghaiing these days after a few beers.

But few shanties perhaps? I am pleased to find there is still old taverns like this still exist and its history. You have not lived unless you gone of pub crawl in the old dens of old Sydney town. Crow was in his element. The crew was blown away by this old pirate yet. it was a good time by all a fantastic experience. How many can say they sung old sea shanties in old bars of Sydney my friends drinking rum and beer. It was alas hang overs all round the next morning.

All part of journey my friends there are parts of journey the crew will look back and be priceless as any treasure.

Kanacki

Last edited:
kanaci. I love those old chantis, partly since my Graandfather sailed the tall ones. Also I loved Sidneys recruitment dens,
asJack London called them.

I have a question for our seafaring members....
Have any of you sailed on a ship, equipped with canons?? Or is it no longer legal?

([*0{>~

Hello Pm technically to have a cannon you need a gun ports with anchorage for a gun carriage.

The Brig the Drumbeat built in 1957 was never designed or equipped with one. Neither was much later built schooner Ocean child built 2006. Unless your vessel is 18th or 19th century replica it would be very hard to explain to customs and immigration arriving at port of entry. Even carrying firearms. you have show licences and secure stowage depending on port of entry.

Kanacki

:coffee2:
Hello All

I shall continue the yarn. Coffee? Well the pan was go and look for shipwreck south of NewZealand more of cruise than a salvage operation. Just as Don Mackay had rightly said following in the footsteps of Galleons we was following the wake of 19th century ships carrying gold to London. Sailing from Maggie we headed south. We Passed another shipwreck that me and crow had the pleasure diving on. The SS Yongala. You can see her story below.

But this for us at this point in time we had to haul sail down to Sydney down the Australian coast. The Crew by now with help of George Patrick and Sindy was like a well oil machine. Hauling sail tacking when needed. No beautiful sight my friends is a tall ship with a full rig of sails on her sailing the big blue ocean and gracious Swan. We had to make time before the weather changed for the worst down into sub antartic regions as we had only a slall window of oprtunity. Providing we could get a permit off the New Zealand government to sail to the out lying islands there. However for now it was sail down the Australian coast to Sydney.

Coffee?

Kanacki

.jpgPironola  Y vereda..jpg This isTayopa country. This canyon is formed by one of the rings of the volcanic intrusion.Tatyopa lies to your left.

Last edited:
Hello Pm technically to have a cannon you need a gun ports with anchorage for a gun carriage.

The Brig the Drumbeat built in 1957 was never designed or equipped with one. Neither was much later built schooner Ocean child built 2006. Unless your vessel is 18th or 19th century replica it would be very hard to explain to customs and immigration arriving at port of entry. Even carrying firearms. you have show licences and secure stowage depending on port of entry.

Kanacki

Thank you Kanacki.

I was just checking to see if you, or anyone else had actually seen the device that would hold the cannonballs in place.

I once read a story about them several years ago and I thought you or one of our Tnet family could have validate the story.

I’m probably gonna have to settle for what I have.

Thanks anyway.

#/;0{>~

Hello PM

Of course I can totally validate the story Amigo! Your thinking of a "brass monkey."

The story goes that cannonballs used to be stored aboard ship in piles, on a brass frame or tray called a 'monkey'. In very cold weather the brass would contract, spilling the cannonballs: hence very cold weather is 'cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey'.

d65fb8a97ed7a4a3395fe1988c5204e8.jpg

Kanacki

Kanaci, perhaps I won't end up like the German and the dead horse mine.

i won't

Hello Don Jose

Its been your baby for more than a lifetime for some. However there will come a time where you will have to make some concessions in letting go. I think time my friend even for trio in their own projects are faced with ultimate fact we will not be around for ever. You have to ask yourself how much are you prepared to concede in making a deal?

Maybe the company I suggested might be the right one for your you? Maybe not?

However without the first step my friend making an approach all you have is a dream. If they are suitable to your project then perhaps they will make that dream a reality. And perhaps closure after all your long years of work my friend and a legacy passed onto your family.

Kanacki

Last edited:
Hello All

Coffee?

Kanacki

And you never thought to stop by and come have a drink. shame shame .....
:coffee2::occasion14::laughing7:

Kamaci,

my wife hatedTayopa she always considered it a competitor. No matter how I tried, I could never convince her otherwise, so
i left tayopa in deference to her. how many men can say that they left a multi million mine for a woman ? I did love her, which I why I was ia daze when she left me for a year.

Last edited:
Kamaci,

my wife hatedTayopa she always considered it a competitor. No matter how I tried, I could never convince her otherwise, so
i left tayopa in deference to her. how many men can say that they left a multi million mine for a woman ? I did love her, which I why I was ia daze when she left me for a year.

The Journey my friend chasing fortune and glory is never an easy one. It can come at a huge price. However your actions was admirable. But time has moved on and the winds of fate once more blows your way. The choice is yours once again if you want catch them.

Kanacki

Last edited:
Mucho gracias mis amigos. Thank you very much my friends for the continued stories, wisdom and advice. Coming here helps to balance my life as I continue my return to the full time working world for a time. MY heart and dreams remain in my beloved adopted country in South America, where I shall return someday.

Not written in newspapers nor books, handed down by word of mouth in families, stories of long buried wealth, remaining to be found.
Certainly the passage of time has obscured some details, but providing sufficient information.

Mucho gracias mis amigos. Thank you very much my friends for the continued stories, wisdom and advice. Coming here helps to balance my life as I continue my return to the full time working world for a time. MY heart and dreams remain in my beloved adopted country in South America, where I shall return someday.

Not written in newspapers nor books, handed down by word of mouth in families, stories of long buried wealth, remaining to be found.
Certainly the passage of time has obscured some details, but providing sufficient information.

Hello Doc

Some times to understand your own journey you need to understand others? While the direction might be different the trials and tribulations are not. And many lessons can be learned from such yarns my friends. A most priceless of treasures?

Coffee?

Kanacki

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back