Minelabs vs garrett ace 250

dirtfishingdave

May 2, 2012
Pittsburgh,PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab ctx3030,Fisher f75, Whites DFX with Sunray probe, Fisher gold bug 2, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche hand shovel, Raven from Predator tools. Detectors I used to use: Minelab explorer se, Fisher f
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello everyone,

Sunday myself, Dave and Curtis were at an old home site where we have permission to hunt. It was wet rainy day here in pittsburgh Pennsylvania, we were covering an area where we had not detected yet. Curtis he runs a garrett ace 250, dave runs a minelab explorer se, and I run minelab ctx3030. Dave and I agreed that curtis should start first with his ace 250 and hunt the grass area near the sidewalk where the old house once stood. Curtis has never found a silver coin yet. We figured he would dig a silver here. We would wait until he has it covered and go in with the minelabs and clean up what he missed or see the targets deep where he doesn't get a beep. After a couple of hours he says he has covered a section of lawn 25 feet by 15 feet. Curtis doesn't recover any coins in this area. Dave and I start covering with the minelabs. Immediately I dig a zinc penny, dave digs a 1949 Jefferson nickel. I get 12-34 signal at 7 inches deep, I am thinking Indian Head penny. Instead I dig a beautiful 1939 mercury dime and a dateless buffalo nickel in the same hole. I worked a little area no bigger than 5ft by 10 feet and dig a lead toy horse, a pair of war nickels, 2 wheat pennies, a cosmoplastic token from 1956 that was shot through with a rifle, and bunch of other stuff. I did dig more stuff that isn't in the picture, like a pair of keys and a bunch of iron trash.

So ,did the rain and wet grass affect how the garrett ace 250 preformed or was it something else? I am not sure, but I know we are going back to this spot to search for more lost gems. Good luck to all and happy hunting!

ForumRunner_20131120_072321.png

Upvote 3
There shouldn't be any comparison. Some people simply can't afford a minelab, but enjoy the hobby. If I had a minelab, I'd have to rely on it driving me to work.

Did I mention that my other car is a Minelab? :) Thanks for everyones comments, I really think that there is no comparison on depth of garrett ace 250 and Minelabs. I have also owned garrett ace 250, fisher f2,fisher f70, fisher f75 (back up to my minelab ctx3030), fisher gold bug2, whites dfx, minelab explorer se, and a garrett at pro. Do they all detect metal? Yes, but having used all of these machines in the past few years, I finally found a detector that has depth, waterproof, wireless speaker, gps. Its truly an all in one machine! Do I think it can compete with the ace 250? No I don't! If it could I would still have it and not sold it to upgrade to my other car! Its a fun hobby for no matter what you are using! Good luck to all and happy hunting! !

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

I would like to add my two cents. I started this hobby three months ago and I've been using an Ace 250 all of this time. I'm only getting targets 2"-4" deep in most places. Am I missing targets? I'm sure I am! But as I've always read on this forum, no place is ever truly "dug" out. To me this mean no matter how much a person spends on a machine, someone can come behind them and find things they missed, whether it be from the machine, settings, operator experience/technique, swing angle, whatever.

Do I feel like I'm missing out on cool stuff because I'm using an Ace 250 vs. a more expensive machine? Yes, I do! But I know that I've already found things with this machine that are cool to ME - Merc dimes, Tootsie Toy cars, 1820's Scoville button, etc. Sure, someone else could have easily found these things with a better machine. But they didn't, I did. I have a friend who also has an Ace 250 along with an older GTI 2500 who has been at this much longer than me and he hasn't found any of these things. Of course, he has found things that I haven't and that's great. It motivates me to go out and try to find more cool stuff (along with reading the awesome finds on here!). And one of these days when my budget allows I will upgrade to a "better" machine - AT Pro etc. But right now I'm having a good time with the Ace 250.

So in the end, I don't think it's necessary to compare a Minelab with an Ace 250. Of course the Minelab is better. But to me that doesn't always matter. As long as the machine user is finding things and enjoying their time with this great hobby then that's really all that matters, doesn't it? When the user is NOT satisfied then it may be time to get a different machine or a different hobby.

Thanks.

Wanna see what an Ace 250 can do....Look at this post....100 francs or / gold medaillon
Started by ilyes1113, Nov 23, 2013 04:28 AM

Equip the 250 and you have a very competitive machine...Gold coin found at 18" with an Ace250.....why that post hasn't made banner I don't know.

I don't know about everybody else but a few hours digging in the dirt is better then one hour sitting on the couch talking to the phyciatrist. they are coming to take me away again ho ho he he by by

If you want the good stuff, it's more important to hunt quality sites and to but the time in to the hobby then to spend a ton of money on a machine that sits in the closet or hunts the same pounded out parks and sites over and over.
There has been allot of top quality finds posted up on TN all found by the ACE 250, so it does have some muscle.
ZDD

Again unfair comparison! However, the more hours spent on any machine, and the better you know it, the better your going to do! The setup on the the Etrac, and the CTX 3030 are so diverse, some never really learn the machine that well, or have too many option, therefore their setup may not be optimal for the area they're hunting! It all comes down to how well you know your machine, how well you listen, how and where you swing, and putting in the hours!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back