Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MD'in in a winter wonderland....

Hello, it was a very cold day, plus it was a real blizzard outside. But i went out anyways becuase i want to reach my goal of $200 in clad. So, i went to the school were i found the silver dime and walked away with (plus another park)-

Pokemon token
2 wheats
old buckel (ID ???) that says "Hickock USA"
$3.49 in clad

Also, i plan to clean my rare 1857 large cent with hydrogen peroxide, i know the basic procedure, is there anything i should keep in mind as i do this..hints?

HH
-GC

Attachments

• IMG_3987.jpg
    IMG_3987.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 561
Upvote 0
Re: MD'in in a winter wonderland....

Hope u reach that $200

Nice finds...I would leave the LC as is...

I agree with romeo-1 on leaving your large cent as is. Most coin dealers and serious numistmatists suggest cleaning collectible coins with only soap and water. It may look nicer cleaned with hydrogen peroxide, but h.p. MIGHT lessen the value.

you can't see any detail though. I seriosly can't tell heads from tails on the large cent. I have to first get it wet then use a magnify it to see th date! I believe H2O2 is the best remedie for it. It is better shinny or a little damaged then leaving it in the condition i have it in now. Under normal circumstance, i woul never clean such a rare coin, but it really needs it.

HH
-GC

Good luck on the cleaning let us know how it turns out. Be careful you could loose the date forever with to much cleaning.

On coin dealer told me just wash them off with warm water and bring them to me to look at. I think that he wants to get coins for alot less than what they are worth. Good Luck you will reach $200.00 by the end of the year. 8)

Good luck!

That's a nice goal to reach for one season - hope you make it. HH/NS
;D

soak it in distilled water
take a film canister
put a cotton ball in the bottom
file with dis. water
pop in the coin
put a cotton ball or 2 over it
top it off
snap on the cap
then put it on a window sill in the sun
in a week check
rinse
clean off light debri with a wet q tip
change the water
repeat
(the cotton balls will keep any heavy grit from scrathing it
as if you just left it in a plastic canister and moved it around after during cleaning )

Nice finds GC and I hope you make your goal! If your LC is in that condition, cleaning it will probably wipe off any detail you can now read, I have done it myself to several coins and can't read a darn thing now that I cleaned them. HH, Mike

Bavaria Mike said:
Nice finds GC and I hope you make your goal! If your LC is in that condition, cleaning it will probably wipe off any detail you can now read, I have done it myself to several coins and can't read a darn thing now that I cleaned them. HH, Mike

You and me both!

Well, after reading the thread posted in goldencoin's message, it does appear that the peroxide method works. However, every coin dealer I've ever talked with says, "DO NOT CLEAN YOUR COLLECTIBLE COINS WITH ANYTHING OTHER THAN SOAP AND WATER." Whether they have ulterior motives is unknown to me, but I do believe that some cleaning procedures do more harm than good. Maybe the peroxide method is the exception, maybe it is safe. I don't know. I guess it all depends on whether someone wants to sell the coin or keep it.

I'm thinking about buying some peroxide and trying this cleaning method on some cruddy wheat cents I've got. It would be nice to be able to read the dates. So thanks for posting that thread goldencoin, it's made me a believer in the method!!! I'd be interested in seeing the before and after pix on your Large Cent.

i've changed by mind. I'm going to use olive oil since it is the safest. However, after using it on a wheat i was surpried becuase it cleaned up very nicely and got a date 1946 D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

HH
-GC

goldencoin said:
i've changed by mind. I'm going to use olive oil since it is the safest. However, after using it on a wheat i was surpried becuase it cleaned up very nicely and got a date 1946 D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

HH
-GC

Who or what made you change your mind? I'm curious to know before I try the peroxide method on some practice coins. According to the thread you posted, the olive oil can apparently leach out over time from a porous coin, so you could end up with an oily mess. Maybe these little "problems" with cleaning methods are the real reasons coin dealers say "Don't clean your coins." ;) Well, whatever method you ultimately use, please post before and after pix. Thanks and good luck.

well, i decided it was way to valuble a coin to use H2O2, so i'm going to use the good old fashion olive oil. I mean it is one in 333,000 ever made...

HH
-GC

its ok to md in the winter i think i read some thing about that around feb or march
in ew mag but what ever go for that sweet 200 mark

kcommandos said:
its ok to md in the winter i think i read some thing about that around feb or march
in ew mag but what ever go for that sweet 200 mark

Well, the problem is that it is almost impossible to do that. The grounf freezes solid for several inches and it is impenitrable. Plus, my Md doesn't like it when snow gets into the soundbox. I would really love to MD in the winter, but i'm going to have to fill my TH needs with coin roll hunting. (also, the people who you saw posting in the dead of winter live in the south, were it is possible to MD) :)

HH
-GC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back