MASSIVE Worked Flint chunk.

itzyoboyandrew

May 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was over at a ladies house that i have permission to metal detect across the street from us, she said she had found this under there 1880s house... IMO its obviously worked(NOTE: not saying its worked all over, just has some sections that look worked.), and flint is not native to coastal ga... My opinion is it is a trade flint chunk... they would trade big chunks of flint to make there arrow heads for something native to our area *in theory*

Thoughts? Also its about a foot and half long for size reference.
IMG_1993.JPGIMG_1992.JPGIMG_1991.JPGIMG_1990.JPGIMG_1989.JPGIMG_1988.JPGIMG_1987.JPG

NOTE: the pics dont do the chips justice.

There is too much going on in the pics to make it out,A good clean background would be better.Too much clutter.IMO

Upvote 0
not trying to knock your find but it doesn't looked 'worked' to me, but just broken off in several places

Upvote 0
not trying to knock your find but it doesn't looked 'worked' to me, but just broken off in several places

What is the difference between indian worked flint and a random chunk of naturally worked flint. Because i know flint was traded in this area, so it would make sense that they would trade big chunks, then chip off when some was needed.

Upvote 0
What is the difference between indian worked flint and a random chunk of naturally worked flint. Because i know flint was traded in this area, so it would make sense that they would trade big chunks, then chip off when some was needed.

Most flint trade items are smaller because they had to CARRY it long distances by foot.

Upvote 0
Lets say they traded small items: 10 small chunks weighing 1 oz each (as an example) would = 10oz, or 1 big piece that = 10oz, either way it would add up to 10oz, the thing isnt even that heavy, maybe 2-3lbs if that

Upvote 0
So it is whatever you want it to be.

But how can you tell it is not worked by man? what makes you assume its natural? There are more facts saying it is then it is not.

I honestly get the feeling no one believes that there is no flint in coastal ga.

Upvote 0
But how can you tell it is not worked by man? what makes you assume its natural? There are more facts saying it is then it is not.

I honestly get the feeling no one believes that there is no flint in coastal ga.

First of all, I see zero evidence that it was worked by man. It has all the characteristics of being tumbled in a river with flakes being broken off, not struck by man.

Second, in response to your 10 items vs one item to carry, you have to understand that most of that nodule that you have would be lost to waste in the making of anything. All of the trade pieces I have seen are actually worked into a general shape to be finished later. That way you could actually see the quality of the flint (chert). There is no telling if that is good material or not inside.

Having said all that, it might be a trade piece, but I doubt it.

And please state these FACTS that you say it is not natural.

Upvote 0
Go back to the place you found it, look for flakes, post pics.....

If that piece was "used" there should be evidence right where you found it.

Upvote 0
1: Flint not being natural to this area
2: Known Indians in the area

Are the main concerns.

Upvote 0
Go back to the place you found it, look for flakes, post pics.....

If that piece was "used" there should be evidence right where you found it.

Will do.
I can agree with this and will return and see if theres evidence of indians in that specific area.

Upvote 0
It looks like natural breaks vs a flint core used to break off pieces for working. I have a large one I found I will post in little while when home to show you

DT2016

Last edited:
Upvote 0

when you say 'worked' my assumption is to see a piece that has been knapped/flaked by a human being to form a tool. I don't see any evidence. I do see large chunks have broken off. Whether they were broken off by nature or man, will probably always remain a mystery

Upvote 0
It looks like natural breaks vs a flint core used to break off pieces for working. I have a large one I found I will post in little while when home to show you

DT2016

I looked up pictures of flint cores, i see what you mean. Thank you for the info instead of just saying "thats not what it is"

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
Will do.
I can agree with this and will return and see if theres evidence of indians in that specific area.

The way I learned how to identify "worked" stone was researching "Native American knapping technology"
Read up on the natives in your area and their knapping technique.
Once you find your first worked piece you won't look at other rocks the same.

I'm NOT an expert, just my opinion. It took me 4 years to find my first worked flake...then broken points.....and eventually the real artifacts came ����
image.jpg

According to the online forum experts. The big one is "natural and shows no signs of being worked" so take everything w a grain of salt

Upvote 0
The way I learned how to identify "worked" stone was researching "Native American knapping technology"
Read up on the natives in your area and their knapping technique.
Once you find your first worked piece you won't look at other rocks the same.

I'm NOT an expert, just my opinion. It took me 4 years to find my first worked flake...then broken points.....and eventually the real artifacts came ����
View attachment 1338829

According to the online forum experts. The big one is "natural and shows no signs of being worked" so take everything w a grain of salt

Found this a few months back.
arrowhead.JPG

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back