MASSIVE Worked Flint chunk.

itzyoboyandrew

May 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was over at a ladies house that i have permission to metal detect across the street from us, she said she had found this under there 1880s house... IMO its obviously worked(NOTE: not saying its worked all over, just has some sections that look worked.), and flint is not native to coastal ga... My opinion is it is a trade flint chunk... they would trade big chunks of flint to make there arrow heads for something native to our area *in theory*

Thoughts? Also its about a foot and half long for size reference.
IMG_1993.JPGIMG_1992.JPGIMG_1991.JPGIMG_1990.JPGIMG_1989.JPGIMG_1988.JPGIMG_1987.JPG

NOTE: the pics dont do the chips justice.

It could be what you believe, a possible core stone, but you'll have to bring better stuff to this table such as a very distinctive intentionally designed or utilized by the mind of man item to win any possible approval of a genuine stone artifact here. I pretty much only post what I'm 98.6% positive is a native American artifact. That way I'll have no need to reason with anyone on it. If it's true what you say being there's no way a flint stone would end up in the place you found it naturally, then I'd look the area some more and pickup every little flint fragment to inspect for any possible signs of true workmanship by the hand of man. Good Luck :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
9 inch in diameter, found in middle Missouri near mound on private property bordering a large spring fed stream, mound produced dozens of artifacts and pieces of pottery.

431d099ddae414631b499edf225f4912.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Look, SkaBa is from central Texas and so am I. We have grown up in Flint central, USA. We have seen, found and handled flint our entire lives. Can't keep from it. That piece you have has been worked by one thing-----NATURE. It is very unlikely that it was carried there by anybody and I suspect that there is a great deal more to be found on the nearest hill. Sorry, but that's what several of us see. No native american in his right mind would carry that around or very far to trade it for anything. Just the facts. Again, sorry...

Upvote 0
It does not look like a pre-form to me. I agree with what's been said about most of that piece would go to waste usually they would knock off The Irregular stuff and leave nothing but good workable stone for the purposes of trade.

Upvote 0
From what I understand large preforms are usually mistaken for hand axes. Which would lead me to believe that they are rather well formed. Either way it's a nice hunk of Flint. I wish I could find any large pieces of Flint to work with. I wish to learn to make my own Gunflint. I also do some amateur blacksmithing and make fire steels that are traditional style and I use a lot of pieces of Flint to go with them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back