Heartbreaker! Can you see the "D"?

PlzBSeated

Mar 8, 2014
SW Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Sharp Shooter, Whites Spectrum XLT, Whites MXT, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Was having a slow night, so I revisited a tear-out where I had had some luck in the past. Started looking along a walkway (torn-out) that I had been over a couple times before. Only reason I went back to this area is that is one of the few areas left that isn't completely covered in fill dirt. Last couple trips, I found nothing here. It is a strip about 3 feet wide and about 15 feet long. Before too long I get a signal and pop a wheatback. And shortly thereafter I pop another although the signal wasn't very good. The area is just loaded with nails. And I don't mean the large ones, but scads of small ones. So I start going extremely slow and pulling as many nails as I can. Before the sun set I would pull an additional 9 good targets from this area, mostly wheat pennies. I figured as long as I was pulling wheats might be a chance at silver.

I don't normally get real excited about wheatbacks but once I got home, I couldn't believe what I was seeing.

Wheatback 1922 obverse 091624.jpgWheatback 1922 reverse 091624.jpg

Can YOU see the "D"?

Unfortunately, once I got it cleaned (as pictured) I could just make out the D when lit at the right angle. Bummer! It is rather weak though, and I think I will have a coin dealer appraise it anyway. Wonder if there will be agreement that it is a weak "D" or if they'll attribute it to environmental damage? Just goes to show...DON"T CLEAN YOUR COINS.

Bet there are still people out there that would love to have one like this in their collection. And it is another low mintage coin variety.

Half a penny 091624.jpg

Also pulled up this half-penny. Half-a-penny that is.

Finds 091624.jpg

Today's finds...

1922-D Wheatback cent, weak D
(8) additional wheatback cents...1917, 1920, 1928, 1934, 1935, 1937, 1946, 1950-D
Half a large cent 1838
Copper spoon, backmark Nevada Silver
Large flat button, no backmark
Marble

PBS

Upvote 18
Was having a slow night, so I revisited a tear-out where I had had some luck in the past. Started looking along a walkway (torn-out) that I had been over a couple times before. Only reason I went back to this area is that is one of the few areas left that isn't completely covered in fill dirt. Last couple trips, I found nothing here. It is a strip about 3 feet wide and about 15 feet long. Before too long I get a signal and pop a wheatback. And shortly thereafter I pop another although the signal wasn't very good. The area is just loaded with nails. And I don't mean the large ones, but scads of small ones. So I start going extremely slow and pulling as many nails as I can. Before the sun set I would pull an additional 9 good targets from this area, mostly wheat pennies. I figured as long as I was pulling wheats might be a chance at silver.

I don't normally get real excited about wheatbacks but once I got home, I couldn't believe what I was seeing.

View attachment 2169406View attachment 2169407

Can YOU see the "D"?

Unfortunately, once I got it cleaned (as pictured) I could just make out the D when lit at the right angle. Bummer! It is rather weak though, and I think I will have a coin dealer appraise it anyway. Wonder if there will be agreement that it is a weak "D" or if they'll attribute it to environmental damage? Just goes to show...DON"T CLEAN YOUR COINS.

Bet there are still people out there that would love to have one like this in their collection. And it is another low mintage coin variety.

View attachment 2169411

View attachment 2169412

Today's finds...

(8) additional wheatback cents...1917, 1920, 1928, 1934, 1935, 1937, 1946, 1950-D
Half a large cent 1838
Marble

PBS
Oops. Pulled the wrong picture for the back of the '22. Here is the correct picture.

Wheatback 1922 reverse 091624.jpg

PBS

Can YOU see the "D"?

View attachment 2169411

View attachment 2169412

Today's finds...

Half a large cent 1838
Marble

PBS
Half a penny! That's wild- great finds all around!

The die pairs don't match any genuine 22P that I'm aware of. Nice looking coin though. I'd plug it into the 22P hole in the album!

Can YOU see the "D"?

View attachment 2169411

View attachment 2169412

Today's finds...

Half a large cent 1838
Marble

PBS
cool finds and good luck on the I"D"

That dealer is trying to pull your leg. If that is a "D" then the D is in the wrong place, it should be centered under the date, not at the lower right, being down on the right I see "DD"" so it would be an error coin, time to retire.

Can YOU see the "D"?

View attachment 2169411

View attachment 2169412

Today's finds...

Half a large cent 1838
Marble

PBS
Nice!!! Congrats!!! Looks like 1922P. Next time!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back