Marlin 39-A

Actually, Iā€™d tend to have a machine shop precision drill a scope mount plate that will use the existing threaded holes your dad tapped.

They can be really good at high tolerance work.
The rifle had a scope mounted on a V strip on top of the receiver. Iā€™ll put it back on and add a peep site I just bought. No scope for this one.
IMG_6944.jpeg
IMG_6943.jpeg

Iā€™m jealous. My dad has one and my younger brother bought one.

Fantastic (although heavy) squirrel guns.

As a side note. I highly doubt they failed to machine or finish a part during that era. They were hand fitted.

Perhaps someone replaced a part which didnā€™t mate with the fitted part?

I like the dimensions of your forend. Thatā€™s what Iā€™m going to shoot for. I think about the time they added the white spacers they updated the forend and thinned it down. You can see on this pic of my ā€˜48 model with the factory wood how thick it is compared to yours. View attachment 2173085

If it helps you, I can trace mine and send you the results, so that you can use it as a rough pattern. That way it'll put you in the neighborhood and then you can hone it to your liking

The forarm is kind of fat from the factory. Maybe to fit on a shooting rest better? Maybe use a caliper to measure it in a couple places?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back