Aquitaine

Dec 8, 2021
British Columbia
This is rather an interesting and sentimental find that I came across the other day. It has an inscription on the inside to John on graduation 1984. It has markings on the back and there are two keys included. I don't know the reason for the keys, except to wind the watch perhaps??? I would love to know the age of it and if it's worth anything. Thanks so much!

Attachments

• watch-01.jpg
    watch-01.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 30
  • watch-02.jpg
    watch-02.jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 22
  • watch-03.jpg
    watch-03.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 25
  • watch-04.jpg
    watch-04.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 26
  • watch-05.jpg
    watch-05.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 25
  • watch-06.jpg
    watch-06.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 22
  • watch-07.jpg
    watch-07.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 23
Upvote 3
The 1984 inscription I wound think was done around a hundred years after the watch was made. My thoughts are the watch was made within the last quarter of the 19th century, which would be before the 1917 date on the dial. Seems to me the key wind watches were out of fashion by the early 20th century.

It would be great if you flipped the cover open so we can see the works.
That may have the make if the watch, serial # it can be dated also.

Very nice piece.

This is rather an interesting and sentimental find that I came across the other day. It has an inscription on the inside to John on graduation 1984. It has markings on the back and there are two keys included. I don't know the reason for the keys, except to wind the watch perhaps??? I would love to know the age of it and if it's worth anything. Thanks so much!
The keys are for winding and setting the watch.
The age, I would go with what Tamrock stated the turn of the 19th century.
I would also say it's sterling Silver and worth about a hundred dollars.

Last edited:
Remove or open the back cover from your watch and look for a number engraved into the movement; this is the serial number for your watch, and by using it, you can find the closest years it was made on these tables.

Also when did they start using colors on the face of them ? such as the different colored flags ?

It's hard to tell from the photos, but it looks like there are six flags on the front of the watch. That makes me think of the Six Flags amusement park. The 1917 on the watch front is the year their "Wild One" roller coaster was built in what was then Paragon Park. But ... the flags on the watch do not appear to be the same flags that flew over Texas, so that may be a red herring.

The keys are for winding and setting the watch.
The age, I would go with what Tamrock stated the turn of the 19th century.
I would also say it's sterling Silver and worth about a hundred dollars.
I thought it looked sterling or maybe a lesser grade of silver, but then looking closer I can see the word Argentan. The meaning of that I thought meant something other than silver and I found this online.

Argentan is an alternative name for Nickel Silver or German Silver. It is a Copper based alloy with about 20% Nickel and 15/20% Zinc. Sometimes other metals are added such as manganese. It is similar to Coin Silver and used typically were a silver like finish is required that is more durable in terms of wear and corrosion. It is often used in coins, watch cases, military uniform adornments and also horse adornments, amongst other things.

Note: I also came across another source that claimed the meaning of Argentan said it was a silver plated metal.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back