lost treasure and how much to ask for as a finders fee

donb0078

Feb 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
atm, whites sl II classic
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm in the process of running down a hot lead on a sizable lost treasure here in Ohio. I have great info atm but I'm not sure how to broker the deal with the landowner especiallly since i don't think they know where it is. finders fees , legality of the find, estimated value of the find is around 1,000,000....HELP! All info is appreciated!

Where is it perhaps I can help lol

LOL thanks a lot :)
I'm actually serious though...I've been sitting on this one for 3yrs and i finally broke the ice as to its possible location.

LOL thanks a lot :)
I'm actually serious though...I've been sitting on this one for 3yrs and i finally broke the ice as to its possible location.

I'm not to good with people my wife is cute and charming I let her do my dirty work I guess I'm saying perhaps a nogotiator

It could be historical, if it is actually found....thinking a split w/contract and maybe a negotiator but I really want good advice if I can't have it then it can remain hidden. I still have to go to the courthouse and make absolutley sure of the owner, don't wanna spill the beans to just anyone. Thats how hot my lead is.

If it is that hot you probably should be consulting a property lawyer as opposed to the board.

Good luck...

Sent from my Samsung Note 2 using Tapatalk

Any property lawyers on here??

Thinking with this many members someone has dealt with something like this before. I have seen contracts online for finders fees but I don't want to mess this up as it will be my first time tring and i've read some really horrible storys of finding then losing. If your not sure direct someone to this thread please....Thanks, Don

Nope Cash!!

Thinking with this many members someone has dealt with something like this before. I have seen contracts online for finders fees but I don't want to mess this up as it will be my first time tring and i've read some really horrible storys of finding then losing. If your not sure direct someone to this thread please....Thanks, Don
..........Well on finding and losing.... You got a good start on losing... First on here you are telling the world about it........ Then asking ones you do not know for help ???........ Why does every one when they might have a good find think they should tell every one ?............ When i have a good find i tell no one..... Except for my trusted and good friends that will help me recover........

LOL thanks keppy! I won't give enough details for that to happen Ohio is a pretty big state!

Apply the KISS principle: Keep it Simple Stupid. Handing the property owner a 15-page legal document may only create 'push back' with him. Though I have some legal training, I would approach the property owner with a ' back of a napkin' type contract in this case. Cover the bases in your agreement: reasonable hours of entry, permission to bring in equipment, your agreement to replace the land into the condition you found it, % split (I'd OFFER, not ask for, 50%). I'd also show the landowner some goodies you may have previously found--but never divulge what your current target is. I'd also show the owner how your MD works (if a MD is part of the equipment you'll use).
You'll need a cover story-as to why you picked this person's property to search; obviously, don't mention the treasure you seek.
Many other 'pointers' I'm sure can be offered up by others in this Forum. I'll give you one more: Don't start to search in the 'bullseye' area of your search; start far away from that area. The owner may be watching and he may decide to go to that same area and search after you leave. He may also insist he go with you for a while--until he gets bored--then you can meander to your primary site.
Don....

hey mackadon thanks for that info it's kinda what was on my mind the part of taking something different with me is great!

I've found 4 commissioned hunts for far (alas, none nearly as big as the one you're citing in value right now :)) And each time, I just tell the landowner "whatever you want to tip". I just got one yesterday (a box of about 40 gold coins). The man had buried them about 5 or 6 yrs. ago, but when going to retrieve them, couldn't remember the precise area. The tip for me was $250. The full story is on the Today's find forum right now.

But .... that's just me. If you want to set a flat rate, I suppose there's nothing wrong with that.

Apply the KISS principle: Keep it Simple Stupid. Handing the property owner a 15-page legal document may only create 'push back' with him. Though I have some legal training, I would approach the property owner with a ' back of a napkin' type contract in this case. Cover the bases in your agreement: reasonable hours of entry, permission to bring in equipment, your agreement to replace the land into the condition you found it, % split (I'd OFFER, not ask for, 50%). I'd also show the landowner some goodies you may have previously found--but never divulge what your current target is. I'd also show the owner how your MD works (if a MD is part of the equipment you'll use).
You'll need a cover story-as to why you picked this person's property to search; obviously, don't mention the treasure you seek.
Many other 'pointers' I'm sure can be offered up by others in this Forum. I'll give you one more: Don't start to search in the 'bullseye' area of your search; start far away from that area. The owner may be watching and he may decide to go to that same area and search after you leave. He may also insist he go with you for a while--until he gets bored--then you can meander to your primary site.
Don....

Yes lying and deceiving is always a good policy or you could try being straight up with the land owner and not steal his property

how true joe i hate lying, previous find is good to show that I'm serious hunter. I'm tossing around a thousand ways my main concern is local state and fed govt wanting it all lol

idk maybe the state will have something on their web site if i can find the right page red tape stinks lol. One story I heard about someone losing their treasure was to an insurance company :(

I realy wish I knew the best thing for you to do but I'm not experienced enough

Why not just try to get permission to detect his property as you would any other property first. Don't even mention vast treasures under the ground. As of right now it's just a fairy tale anyways. No use getting everyone's hopes up for buried treasure without solid evidence supporting it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back