lost treasure and how much to ask for as a finders fee

"How much to ask for as a finder fee"? If you want to find some stranger's treasure and he agrees, I say a 70/30 split is fair, the 70 going to the treasure owner. As a finder, I would settle for ten percent. Ten points on a mil is $200,000.00

Last edited:
If there is lost treasure in the $1,000,000 on that land you wont find it more of less with a detector your gonna have too look for depressions in the ground indicating something was once dug there! it will be more of less 4-8 feet deep easily and you may even need to get a backhoe or skid-steer to help you. Even if it is on that land it can take you weeks,months and year/years to find it. I wouldn't be blowing a large amount of money on this spot unless you have real good reason and signs there is treasure there. Good luck! :occasion14:

My lead is good the owner of the suspected property doesn't know its there and it belonged to someone else....who is no longer living. :((
i can't find a single thing at the state level for treasure trove findings at least on their web site. thanks for the info all :)

hutsitedigger your avitar is like looking in a mirror for me lol i've pulled out most of my hair already and its sticking straight up. I'm beginning to think I need to deal with the land owner and both of us not tell if I do actually find it! Its been a couple years tracking this thing down someone may have already done what I'm thinking.

"How much to ask for as a finder fee"? If you want to find some stranger's treasure and he agrees, I say a 70/30 split is fair, the 70 going to the treasure owner. As a finder, I would settle for ten percent. Ten points on a mil is $200,000.00

You mean, $100,000, right?

I'm not a mathmatichian....But I think 10% of a Million is $100,000.00 . jmho.................HH

Oops yes my math was bad ten percent is a hundred grand. Twenty percent finders fee would be 200000. Still a lot of money for a little tecting work. I hope donb can turn this treasure lead into a treasure recovery, no matter what kind of deal he makes.

It could be historical, if it is actually found....thinking a split w/contract and maybe a negotiator but I really want good advice if I can't have it then it can remain hidden. I still have to go to the courthouse and make absolutley sure of the owner, don't wanna spill the beans to just anyone. Thats how hot my lead is.
here is my problem with this the fact that it could be historical this fact alone is where you could be causing yourself problems by posting for all to see.big brother is watching i am not some fanatic about all of this but would think the mention of historical significance might create problems for you depending on the historic value of what it pertains to. just my opinion hope everything works out for you good luck.

OldNBroken sounds like he knows what's up.
Get written permission stating that you can detect and keep the findings, nuff said.
If you find 1M then I'd hope you'd choose to give the property owner many thousands and then peace out like you never even met them:).

OldNBroken sounds like he knows what's up.
Get written permission stating that you can detect and keep the findings, nuff said.
If you find 1M then I'd hope you'd choose to give the property owner many thousands and then peace out like you never even met them:).

Bet your rear that if anything of value is found, you will be in litigation with the property (or his/her estate) for a long, long, long time.(regardless of any agreement)

And one of the "exhibits," in the trial will be this thread. :what:
I hope you find it and get to keep all of it, but in today's litigious society..not likely, specially when money is involved....

Sent from my Samsung Note 2 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I"m not greedy. i'm thinking 20% is fair. i did find something about treasure trove laws here in ohio didn't find them at state level. just permission is enough for total ownership from what I read. Will probably consult property lawyer though this up coming week, I will know one way or the other and will have I's dotted and T's crossed by Wenesday wish me luck! You really got me thinking with "exhibits" though hearing that is like fingernails on a chalkboard!

I"m not greedy. i'm thinking 20% is fair. i did find something about treasure trove laws here in ohio didn't find them at state level. just permission is enough for total ownership from what I read. Will probably consult property lawyer though this up coming week, I will know one way or the other and will have I's dotted and T's crossed by Wenesday wish me luck! You really got me thinking with "exhibits" though hearing that is like fingernails on a chalkboard!

Good luck! I hope you hit it big!

Sent from my Samsung Note 2 using Tapatalk

Sometimes its best to ask yourself "what would Jesse James do?"

Hmm:icon_scratch: LOL love it!

Keep us updated as much as you can without jeopardizing it. Most of us don't have ventures like this and have to live vicariously through those of you that do.

Good Luck and HH

LOL, If I do I'll be headed to Alaska this spring might check out all the places out west I been wanting to though!! Not going to hold my breath at any rate but I am excited love the hunt like perpetual Easter egg hunt :) only better;)

:BangHead:I can't take it!!!:BangHead:i thats it i can't take this reading anymore 29 degrees out and i'm still going to load up MD and go...Y'all have a great day :) catch up later :D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back