Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Ive had this for a while but cant figure out what its for. Its chromed steel about the size and shape of a 1/4 inch ratchet. Instead of a square drive, it has a threaded end. But for what? It turns but doesnt ratchet. It may be broken. It also has a larger threaded end on the handle... no markings.

Attachments

• MVC-025S.JPG
    MVC-025S.JPG
    30.8 KB · Views: 770
  • MVC-029S.JPG
    MVC-029S.JPG
    37.3 KB · Views: 769
  • MVC-028S.JPG
    MVC-028S.JPG
    37.7 KB · Views: 773
Some sort of speciality tool, the threaded end on the handle could be for an extension, or maybe a sort of ball or something. The threaded drive part I don't have any idea, the ratchet part could be broken that is for sure.

Upvote 0
No idea. I've worked aircraft maintenance and now work in industrial maintenance, and I've never seen anything like it. I can't even think of and aplication where it could be used over a standard square drive ratchet. Neat find.

Upvote 0
I've done autobody and frame repair for 44 years, and I have never seen anything like it, ( store bought or homemade).......NGE (T)

Upvote 0
Please confirm that the ratchet end that looks like its threaded is in fact a course thread.
Looking at the the image tells me it isn't threaded but ribbed
as for the handles threaded end, i would say it accepts an extension handle.
1/4" ratchet drive?
Brady

Upvote 0
bradyboy said:
Please confirm that the ratchet end that looks like its threaded is in fact a course thread.
Looking at the the image tells me it isn't threaded but ribbed

Brady
Its definitely threaded. I just screwed a nut onto it. It appears to be about a 1/4 inch coarse thread. The handle looks like 3/8 inch and coarse threaded as well.

Attachments

• MVC-030S.JPG
    MVC-030S.JPG
    36 KB · Views: 696
Upvote 0
TEXAN Connection said:
Its a ratchet for interchangable drives
What kinda drives? ...for what? Could you please elaborate?

I have worked in HVAC, plumbing, and electric and I have never seen this tool. I also do my own automotive work and cant think of a use for this. I dont know what would attach to it. I hope you can tell me. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
The head is like the one on this cheap scaffold wrench. The head is threaded to accept different size adapters that are tightened to the head with set screws. In your 3rd pic it looks like you can see the mark in the threaded head made by the set screw. As for the threads on the other end, I would say that's for an extension of the handle. I'd also agree it used to ratchet but that is broken.
Glenn

Attachments

• scaffold wrench.jpg
    scaffold wrench.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 665
Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
TEXAN Connection said:

I have worked in HVAC, plumbing, and electric and I have never seen this tool. I also do my own automotive work and cant think of a use for this. I dont know what would attach to it. I hope you can tell me. :thumbsup:

My guess is that you could put on a 1/4 inch or 3/8 inch drive so youd have 2 ratchets in one.

Upvote 0
TEXAN Connection said:
bigcypresshunter said:
TEXAN Connection said:

My guess is that you could put on a 1/4 inch or 3/8 inch drive so youd have 2 ratchets in one.
Thanks Texan and diggrNY. I never heard of such a thing. It seems to me it would be easier to just use an adapter. I guess thats why it never caught on.

Attachments

• MVC-032E.JPG
    MVC-032E.JPG
    11.3 KB · Views: 634
Upvote 0
TEXAN Connection said:

Agreed, "generic" all-purpose ratchet wrench. I have seen similar all-in-one type tools, never seen the threaded
handle end though, most likely to add a section that was longer/thicker. :wink:

Upvote 0
i have picked up several "weird ratchets" over the years.
most are dedicated wrenches, that are used for one job only.
i found a half inch drive Snap On ratchet with a non removable socket attached. snap on guy told me it was ordered by one of the auto companies.

Upvote 0
tulecanyon said:
i have picked up several "weird ratchets" over the years.
most are dedicated wrenches, that are used for one job only.
i found a half inch drive Snap On ratchet with a non removable socket attached. snap on guy told me it was ordered by one of the auto companies.

20 years of turning wrenches i thought i had seen just about every weird/strange tools out there but manufacturer`s come out with their line of SST`S (special service tools) every year, you would be amazed at some of the stuff they have and their uses.

Seemed also, every few months i would need to purchase the latest/greatest tool off of one of the trucks (Mac,Snap-on) , now that i no longer turn a wrench, i hardly use any of it anymore. :(

Upvote 0
How could it be set up for interchangeable drives? If the drives thread on, then what would keep the drive from coming off when you turn the ratchet to loosen? It would loosen the drive right off the ratchet instead of loosening the bolt you had it on.

Upvote 0
cheese said:
How could it be set up for interchangeable drives? If the drives thread on, then what would keep the drive from coming off when you turn the ratchet to loosen? It would loosen the drive right off the ratchet instead of loosening the bolt you had it on.
A set screw is supposed to hold it on. ::) I know what you mean...its a crappy invention.

Upvote 0
have to agree, the fact that its threaded drive tells me its a dedicated socket drive
anything other than that would be a real hassle to replace sockets if you had torqued done on it
any evidence of a small, slight flat spot on the head threads?
Might show sins of a set screw - OR any junk deep in the threads that might suggest a liquid thread sealer like Loc-tite
brady

Upvote 0
bradyboy said:
- OR any junk deep in the threads that might suggest a liquid thread sealer like Loc-tite
brady
lol :D it would be a pain to use loc-tite. lol.

I dont see any evidence of the set screw or Loc-tite but im convinced this is SOLVED by Texan and TreasurdiggrNY who supplied the picture. Its going in the junkbox or the trash.

Upvote 0
Having a set screw clamp onto a threaded drive will not work, and in all my years of being a mechanic and owning my own shop, I have never seen any tool that uses such a principal. It won't work. The one pictured above does not have a threaded drive...it has a flat for the set screw to set against. Otherwise, it would spin no matter how hard you set the little set screw. It would ruin the threads every time you set the set screw, so that also makes it impractical for that purpose.

I believe it is a rivet nut installing tool. It is designed to thread into a threaded rivet nut, then when it is inserted into it's hole, it is turned until the threaded rivet nut has riveted itself to the material the hole was made in. Look at a rivet nut. It has threads in it. The nut has a section right at the flange that squeezes when the tool is tightened. This squeezes the rivet nut to clamp onto the material it is in, then you just reverse the driver to get the driver out of it and it's done. This is the only way it makes sense for the drive to be threaded....It drives the rivet in and squishes it in forward, but reverse just backs the tool out of the work when it's done.

http://www.hansonrivet.com/w64.htm

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back