Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Ive had this for a while but cant figure out what its for. Its chromed steel about the size and shape of a 1/4 inch ratchet. Instead of a square drive, it has a threaded end. But for what? It turns but doesnt ratchet. It may be broken. It also has a larger threaded end on the handle... no markings.

Attachments

• MVC-025S.JPG
    MVC-025S.JPG
    30.8 KB · Views: 770
  • MVC-029S.JPG
    MVC-029S.JPG
    37.3 KB · Views: 769
  • MVC-028S.JPG
    MVC-028S.JPG
    37.7 KB · Views: 773
cheese said:
I've been a mechanic since I was a kid, and still own and operate a small engine repair shop, and have never seen anything lock with a set screw against threads. It doesn't make sense, and locking a set screw against threads ruins the threads, so it ca't be done repeatedly. It would ruin the tool. I believe this tool is a special purpose tool made for one component of one piece of equipment, in order to perform a specific function related only to that piece. The technical trades are full of special tools...air conditioning, automotive, etc...

Here is one possibility...threaded inserts put into a ratchet handle: http://www.z-systems.co.nz/products/3i-instruments.html

Or even another possibility...look at the Tee extractor set here: http://www.jbind.com/catalog_multi-page/Page_52-58_JB_Industries_2007_catalog.pdf

I believe it was simply a badly designed "universal" ratchet wrench, the body of the wrench is of the cheap design usually associated with the four dollar socket set you can buy at Kmart.

Just another example of something by "ronco" type companies looking to turn a fast buck. :wink:

Upvote 0
It can't reverse if it's a ratchet. I updated my last reply since you posted your reply. Look at the link I gave this go-round.

Here is one that is used for the purpose. It's not the best picture, but you can see the threaded end. They are available with different threads to install different rivets like these:

Attachments

• 30987_300.jpg
    30987_300.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 419
Upvote 0
If it was a rivet tool, how would you set the rivet? It would need to be a very specialized rivet that had threads on the outside, most likely reversed threading. I`m not discounting the possibility, still searching. :wink:

EDIT: The rivet you show, is a blind rivet, ive installed countless numbers of these over the years in various applications, this is the tool used. I don`t see how a ratchet type tool (as shown) could pull a rivet tight, unless
it was threaded, then you would have the problem of removing the tool from the inserted rivet without the rivet
loosening.

http://www.sulco.co.nz/Product?Action=View&Product_id=26524

Attachments

• rivet.jpg
    rivet.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 402
Upvote 0
Look at the link I provided. It is a threaded rivet, and it tightens by tightening the threaded installer tool. It's not the rivets like you show in your pic. These are threaded rivet nuts. They are a rivet that when installed, leaves a threaded hole for a bolt/screw to be installed into. You can't loosen it once it has been tightened...that is how you remove the tool...you reverse it. Look at all the available threaded rivet nut installation tools available on the net and you will see...that is how they work.
http://www.hansonrivet.com/w64.htm .....this site shows you how it is installed with the tool in the first pic, then it is tightened and you'll see the section on the back of the material it is installed in expand and squeeze the rivet tight. Then you reverse the tool to back it out and it's done...rivet is in place. The purpose of this rivet is not just to hold things together. It is also to provide an assembly point where another component can be assembled using the bolt hole. You see these type rivets in exercise equipment, grills, and many other things that are not fully assembled in the box and you have to put together at home.

I've installed many many rivets like the ones you show, but they are entirely different. There are many types of rivets.

Upvote 0
cheese said:
Having a set screw clamp onto a threaded drive will not work, and in all my years of being a mechanic and owning my own shop, I have never seen any tool that uses such a principal. It won't work. The one pictured above does not have a threaded drive...it has a flat for the set screw to set against. Otherwise, it would spin no matter how hard you set the little set screw. It would ruin the threads every time you set the set screw, so that also makes it impractical for that purpose.
I havent studied this yet, but you have a point. Especially on a tough bolt. The one pictured by TreasurdiggrNY appears that set screw goes all the way through. Loc-tite certainly would never work lol.

I just dont seem to understand how it works with a rivet. :icon_scratch:

I think I see how it works. This tool is not pictured however. Possibly a throw away tool. I still dont understand how you would keep the rivet from turning as you turn the ratchet.

Upvote 0
I know what a blind rivet is. C'mon folks after all I did autobody repair for 44 years, I own one of the squeeze "blind rivet" tools shown. You can squeeze aluminum ones all day with no problems. But, try to squeeze a stainless or regular steel one :whip2:! With the ratchet style tool that is in question, you would have to use a washer and a non threaded spacer with hex head, on the stud first then thread onto the fastener . Hold the hex head with a wrench while turning ratchet, which will in turn, cinch up blind rivet, then , back off ratchet and your riv-nut is set. Easier said than done ;D........NGE (T)

Upvote 0
notgittinenny ( treasures ) said:
With the ratchet style tool that is in question, you would have to use a washer and a non threaded spacer with hex head, on the stud first then thread onto the fastener . Hold the hex head with a wrench while turning ratchet, which will in turn, cinch up blind rivet, then , back off ratchet and your riv-nut is set. Easier said than done ;D........NGE (T)
The threaded piece is very short, like about 1/4 inch. I dont see much room for a hex head spacer. :icon_scratch: ...and how does a non threaded spacer keep the rivet from just turning.

Upvote 0
I was just about to join in on the rivet nut bandwagon, but after seeing both arguments I'm now not sure. :(

How about we say it is the tool used to tighten the pig nuts from the "found in a foot ball field" thread ;D

Upvote 0
Blacksheep said:
cheese said:
I've been a mechanic since I was a kid, and still own and operate a small engine repair shop, and have never seen anything lock with a set screw against threads. It doesn't make sense, and locking a set screw against threads ruins the threads, so it ca't be done repeatedly. It would ruin the tool. I believe this tool is a special purpose tool made for one component of one piece of equipment, in order to perform a specific function related only to that piece. The technical trades are full of special tools...air conditioning, automotive, etc...

Here is one possibility...threaded inserts put into a ratchet handle: http://www.z-systems.co.nz/products/3i-instruments.html

Or even another possibility...look at the Tee extractor set here: http://www.jbind.com/catalog_multi-page/Page_52-58_JB_Industries_2007_catalog.pdf

I believe it was simply a badly designed "universal" ratchet wrench, the body of the wrench is of the cheap design usually associated with the four dollar socket set you can buy at Kmart.

Just another example of something by "ronco" type companies looking to turn a fast buck. :wink:

I agree with Blacksheep. You have to admit it's pretty cheap looking. It has no Mfg name on it. If you look at the 3rd pic it looks like the indent from a set screw right in between the first set of threads. Some kind of adapter screwed onto it, you tighten the set screw to hold the adapter on and use you're little executive set of sockets.
Glenn

Upvote 0
look at pic #1 here http://www.hansonrivet.com/w64.htm

You'll see splines on the rivet at the area where it is inserted into the metal. You'd press the rivet in so the splines engage the metal to keep it from turning. Then, once the rivet is in place, you tighten/squeeze it by turning the ratchet.

I can't say for sure that's what it is, but it's the only thing I've seen so far that comes close. I am sure it isn't a ratchet used with sockets.

Upvote 0
cheese said:
look at pic #1 here http://www.hansonrivet.com/w64.htm

You'll see splines on the rivet at the area where it is inserted into the metal. You'd press the rivet in so the splines engage the metal to keep it from turning. Then, once the rivet is in place, you tighten/squeeze it by turning the ratchet.

I can't say for sure that's what it is, but it's the only thing I've seen so far that comes close. I am sure it isn't a ratchet used with sockets.
Now I understand how it works. The tool can either retract or spin. The outside rivet splines can hold it tight.

2. The mandrel retracts in the tool or keeps spinning until the clutch disengages. This sets the Insert in the work

The only problem is that it may not be long enough. Its only 1/4 inch long.

Upvote 0
looks like a tool to rethread side post batteries. my brother in law made something similar out of a broken rachet years ago

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back