Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iā€™ve found a few of these now, I guess they are rivets but Iā€™m not sure why each is stampedā€¦ to me itā€™d be kind of like putting you company name on every nailā€¦ but the thing that bugs me more is they are supposedly from the nearby small town thatā€™s never topped a couple thousand people, so itā€™s interesting there was manufacturing going on at some point, I canā€™t find anything about this business on line or even in the local history book written about the city a few years back Iā€™ve asked several people around and they donā€™t know, any chance anyone has heard of this company or knows another way to go about searching it? Also just a confirmation they are rivets and maybe what they were used on, like horse tack or a tractorā€¦ any info would be nice itā€™s bugging me I get nowhere when I try to solve this mystery.
IMG_2277.jpeg
IMG_2278.jpeg
IMG_2279.jpeg

Not an expert, but they sure look like rivets to me. Did some googling for the maker, but found diddly squat.

Upvote 3
To find info on the company, I'd contact (online) the Erie City Library and ask them.
If they don't know, ask for contact info for the local historian.
Repeat the process online at the Neosho County Library.
Don in SoCal

Upvote 4
I have been meaning to catch the museum they keep volunteer hours so they are a bit hit and miss, thereā€™s another old farmer that knows a ton sometimes I catch him on the road but havenā€™t seen him in a bitā€¦ some days it bugs me that I canā€™t solve it, figured it was worth a shot to throw it up on t-net too, appreciate the responses, hereā€™s them with a nickel.
IMG_2281.jpeg

Was thinking maybe if I can figure out if they came from horse tack, or clothes, or a machine, that I could have a new angle to search, maybe the B&J wasnā€™t a common abbreviation could have just been necessary to fit on the face of the item

Last edited:
Upvote 1
To find info on the company, I'd contact (online) the Erie City Library and ask them.
If they don't know, ask for contact info for the local historian.
Repeat the process online at the Neosho County Library.
Don in SoCal
Erie, KS Are Chamber of Commerce?
Kansas Secretary of State, Commerce?

Upvote 2
I found some identical ones last summer. They were in the yard of an old farmouse and had the name of the former farm on them. I always assumed they were cattle related, as someone mentioned earlier.

Upvote 2
B & J.... Bartles & Jaymes? šŸ˜

Upvote 0
Cattle is an interesting thought, two came from a pasture near where a barn used to be, and the last from a field that I donā€™t think has ever been fenced, but it is fairly close to a well with a pump and a water trough, and possibly an area where farm hands had a patch for a personal garden, thatā€™s a little hazy coming from a book with a lot of errors Iā€™m a little dubious. Butā€¦ the Jhonsons owned the land and a man named butler was the guy that farmed it in the early 1900ā€™sā€¦ B,Jā€¦ Iā€™ll have to look into ear tags, and when I get a chance get into the museumā€¦ appreciate all the thoughts

Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back