Little old fishing reel

recondigger

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2012
Western New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
garrett at4 beach hunter, bounty hunter,CZ-5,CZ-7, Minelab EXP SE, Garrett ACE-150, E-Trac, CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• image-2429686643.jpg
    image-2429686643.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 318
  • image-2425371269.jpg
    image-2425371269.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 272
I will say that I am not an expert in such items.I found a hendryx a year ago and researched it.This thread got me going again on these reels.I will humbly submit these points for research consideration.
1)if it isnt a hendryx,it is a knockoff.....I submit that the hendryx(later winchester)was the least expensive unit in existance....hardly a prime target for a knockoff.
2)virtually all of the stamped and pressed riveted reels of the era are not really close.
3)it is known that many of the reels produced,especially during ownership transition(1918) had no markings.sometimes yes....someties not...known deal.
4)hendryx had a buttload of models from very crude(cheap)to really very nice.no one made more choices and more in total number.
5)the closest known manufacturer(after hendryx)may well be van hofe.they are easily identifiable and this simply isnt one.

So we are left with someone copying the least expensive reel ever produced...or it is one of the unmarked hendryx reels known to exist.Anyones guess I suppose,my money is on hendryx....about 1905ish and of the low end models.remember....they made quality also...this aint one of em.

respectfully submitted.....pat

I sure hope someone can provide difinitive photo evidence and solve this for good....:icon_thumright:

Thank you for taking the time to help Bigfoot! And after looking I think you are right with it being a low end reel made during the change over. I'm still looking and I hope to get some more help

Scouts out!

Upvote 0
Good points all and well taken, I have read that some Hendryxes were not marked.
the reason I do not think it's an early Hendryx is the foot attachment.
Can anyone find a pre Winchester Hendrix without the U rivets?
As mentioned, maybe a transitional...
BTW, reel tech has come a long way, I got one of these Tiburons for the Cod, Halibut and occasional Bluefin that I hunt for up here in the Gulf of Maine.
Fairly simple mechanically, ingeniously engineered, it has a two speed automatic transmission that seamlessly shifts depending on which way the fish is going and how hard it pulls, no more thrown hooks when shifting a manual two speed.
watch that white dot.

Nothing like jerking your stainless clad pound of lead in 300 feet of water when unexpectedly
'It Pulls back' :hello2:

The sonar shows a striper coming up to hit a topwater plug,
Water and dirt fishing are remarkably similar,. research, equipment, technique and experience
all pay off in the end.

Attachments

• JIG 004.jpg
    JIG 004.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 96
  • TIBURON 005 copy.jpg
    TIBURON 005 copy.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 103
  • BAIT SONAR 010.jpg
    BAIT SONAR 010.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 108
  • CUSTOM BLUEFIN BOAT ROD 001.jpg
    CUSTOM BLUEFIN BOAT ROD 001.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 97
  • CUSTOM BLUEFIN BOAT ROD 002.jpg
    CUSTOM BLUEFIN BOAT ROD 002.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 105
  • CUSTOM BLUEFIN BOAT ROD 003.jpg
    CUSTOM BLUEFIN BOAT ROD 003.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 102
Upvote 0
this thread has been a fun learning exercise.shown in this photo is the one piece foot.it is a winchester version as the yardage number 40 is underlined.no makers name,only made in the u.s.a.

It is listed on ebay as unknown,however the underlined yardage # gives it away,I'll see if I can find more.....winchester 40.JPG

this second photo is listed as a hendryx all metal...look closely at foot config.one piece it would appear...hendryx better.jpgI would surmise this is a,"better"model and is the first one I posted.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Get the dia of a face of the reel, get the makers mark off the (mounting bracket?),
which would likely give the patent date(s).
Then go from there, search the internet, learn.

My (partifact) is the drag, etc, control (not the crank) side, or face of the reel,
which is brass and 1 3/4" in dia. - a very small fishing reel...!

HENDRYX Pat. Mar. 21 1878
July 10 1888...
......the last number of each date was very hard to see, from wear on the mounting bracket, I believe,
BUT, it's an oldie!
- YOURS is a great-looking-pile-of-Finds! Good show! :icon_thumright:

Upvote 0
Thanks for the help I love this little reel. Hope I find another someday

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back