Latest Cornicopia of Finds

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hey Guys, here's my latest mix of colonial and Civil War and other finds. Several bullets(30+), a few nice buttons, and a really cool Colonial spur buckle with the silver gilting still on it! I got on a new site last week, and the very first signal as I put the detector down was a Civil War tent tensioner so I was pretty happy knowing that some goods would come up. ALso found a gold brooch that is missing the stone...The Block "P" for lack of a better term was a funny story. I dug it out of a civil war campsite amongst several other bullets and buttons and when I popped it out, I thought I had dug a Confederate Riflemens button for a moment because there was a dirt clump over where the lower "leg" of the "R" would've been. When I cleaned it away and saw a "P" I was pretty flabergasted smiley-confused I have dug several Civil War era and post war era Police buttons but most every one of them have had a wreath with a smaller Old English-style "P" in the center. DeepSouthDiggerLA found one on youtube recently in Louisiana on a civil war site as well.....Then I got a nice button signal and popped up a button with a rope style border that I thought was going to be a NICE one but when I cleaned it off, it was a Virginia Tech button WAY before it was Virginia Tech...when it was known as the "Virginia Agriculture and Mechnical College" back in the 1800s. I did manage a nice Eagle Staff and One-Piece Eagle "A" as well. All and all, not too bad. Thanks for looking guys
:occasion14:

index.php

index.php

index.php

index.php

index.php

index.php

index.php

index.php

index.php

The Greyish finish to the top spur buckle is actually the silver gilting. The black spots are
where the silver gilting have come off...the pic doesn't do it justice...
7390666786_5f22b4bf04_z.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 5
The Scourge of the Dirt strikes again! Beautiful stuff Josh!

Nice pile of stuff Josh. That's great that you have a productive site to hunt at this time of year as I'm pretty much shut down until the fall. My favorite out of that pile is the VT button (since I'm an alumnus). I found one just like it 5 years ago in the same field where me and my partner found 8-10 CS buttons. Its actually a Virginia Agricultural and "Mechanical" College (VAMC) button and dates to between when the school was founded in 1872 and when they changed the name in 1896. Does yours have any gilt? Fortunately mine was dug from a very sandy field and was in great shape. Glad to see you're getting out and, again, nice finds! HH ..... Bill

030907d.jpg

030907e.jpg

Cool finds man,Way to go....HH

Great finds and post .......congrats ! :notworthy:

Nice pile of goodies Josh. The buttons are beautiful. Everything looks to be in great shape. Its nice finding fields or sites that are not heavily fertilized. I have found many smaller buckles and never associated them with spurs. Narcosis has definitly set in, thanks. I see the US collar disc in the pile. I just recently found one, here is a neat site that dated mine. Arty http://hglanham.tripod.com/metalinsignia/collardisk1.html

Last edited:
Josh, I was expecting to see a real Cornicopia spilling over with relics and coins! Instead I get a red bowl :icon_scratch: At least the relics and coins were there :laughing7:

Love the patina on the staff officers button and the one piece eagle A. The "Block P" is an interesting button. Does it have a backmark?

The grey to the 17th-18th C Buckle is actually Tin.

Great bunch of stuff as normal.

Nice bunch of finds!! Love the buttons..........especially the beautiful one-piece Artillery!!!
Dale

Josh, do you happen to know what kind of pistol bullet that is in the first picture to the left of the small wing buckle? Thanks

Nice pile of stuff Josh. That's great that you have a productive site to hunt at this time of year as I'm pretty much shut down until the fall. My favorite out of that pile is the VT button (since I'm an alumnus). I found one just like it 5 years ago in the same field where me and my partner found 8-10 CS buttons. Its actually a Virginia Agricultural and "Mechanical" College (VAMC) button and dates to between when the school was founded in 1872 and when they changed the name in 1896. Does yours have any gilt? Fortunately mine was dug from a very sandy field and was in great shape. Glad to see you're getting out and, again, nice finds! HH ..... Bill

View attachment 646426

View attachment 646427

Thanks Bill, yours is really nice too... yeah I eluded to it being a Virginia Agriculture and Mechanical College button (accidentally put a "T" instead of an "M" for some reason..it was late). I did a couple semesters there but ended up getting the final degree from Old Dominion University. I've dug them before, actually I've got one that has the same design but says "Virginia Polytechnic Institure" which is a later issue and then the newer design that has a shield coat of arms reminiscient of a New York button shield...I've dug a few of those as well. I haven't cleaned it yet but judging by the deep green, I'd say it has quite a bit still left.
It is funny how in your photo above, we have two of the same types of buttons; the VAMC and the 1 Pc Eagles...although mine is a Eagle "A" and yours an "I" but other than that, the same..HH

Last edited:
The grey to the 17th-18th C Buckle is actually Tin.

Great bunch of stuff as normal.

Does Tin flake off? The silver finish is flaking off, that is why I had to stop cleaning it. If I were to continue, the buckle would be the black color that is showing in those chipped areas... The black looking spots are where the finish is flaking/chipping off.

Last edited:
Josh, I was expecting to see a real Cornicopia spilling over with relics and coins! Instead I get a red bowl :icon_scratch: At least the relics and coins were there :laughing7:

Love the patina on the staff officers button and the one piece eagle A. The "Block P" is an interesting button. Does it have a backmark?

Hey Steve, appreciate it buddy. Not having the time to make my customary "pretty" posts...What I should've said was a "plethora" of finds to be more precise (and suffer the red plate :laughing7:)...as these 2 sites had a span of relics as is usual in this area. The Block "P" button has the backmark of "Scovills Mfg Co. WATERBURY" It is number "7", located on Plate B-9, Page 36 of Warren Tice's button book (Uniform Buttons of the United States)

Last edited:
Nice pile of goodies Josh. The buttons are beautiful. Everything looks to be in great shape. Its nice finding fields or sites that are not heavily fertilized. I have found many smaller buckles and never associated them with spurs. Narcosis has definitly set in, thanks. I see the US collar disc in the pile. I just recently found one, here is a neat site that dated mine. Arty Dating Metallic Insignia: Collar Disks

Thanks artyfacts, yes I did find a collar disc, living here in this area we have ALOT of Army and Navy presence so those WWI and WWII collar discs are a common find around here. They are nice pieces of 20th century history and there are many different types as you know. These guys would ship out of here to go over to England and Europe to fight during those two wars and subsequently come back through here. In addition to the collar disks, I find alot of medals too. Thanks for the nice reply buddy:occasion14:

Great finds and post .......congrats ! :notworthy:

Hey there he is, one of my favorite European diggers, thanks alot my friend:occasion14:

I would have to say a stellar day and great finds. Thanks for sharing.
TnMtns

Wow!!!!!!!!! you had one heck of a hunt there, big congrats on a plate full of awesome finds :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back