Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you think this stone may be an Indian artifact? I found it in the woods yesterday.
There have been a LOT of Indian arrowheads found in this area.
All sides of this stone have areas chiseled out to some degree.
One side has a smooth small bowl like area carved into it. You can see chisel marks in some of the areas.
It looks like a stone that never got finished.
Any ideas?
Thanks,
MM

Attachments

• MVC-152S.JPG
    MVC-152S.JPG
    42.2 KB · Views: 750
  • MVC-158S.JPG
    MVC-158S.JPG
    38.4 KB · Views: 697
  • MVC-156S.JPG
    MVC-156S.JPG
    36.2 KB · Views: 718
  • MVC-155S.JPG
    MVC-155S.JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 600
  • MVC-154S.JPG
    MVC-154S.JPG
    47.3 KB · Views: 1,206
  • MVC-153S.JPG
    MVC-153S.JPG
    39 KB · Views: 583
  • MVC-158S.JPG
    MVC-158S.JPG
    38.4 KB · Views: 537
  • MVC-156S.JPG
    MVC-156S.JPG
    36.2 KB · Views: 552
  • MVC-155S.JPG
    MVC-155S.JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 532
  • MVC-154S.JPG
    MVC-154S.JPG
    47.3 KB · Views: 595
  • MVC-153S.JPG
    MVC-153S.JPG
    39 KB · Views: 552
  • MVC-152S.JPG
    MVC-152S.JPG
    42.2 KB · Views: 600
Upvote 0
Looks natural to me, the pits don't look drilled or ground. But I'm no expert, just my opinion.

Molly.

Molly said:
Looks natural to me, the pits don't look drilled or ground. But I'm no expert, just my opinion.

Molly.

Thanks Molly.
You would probably need to see it in person. The one area is a hollowed out smooth small bowl like area, and this area is chiseled out to about 2" deep in a cone shape. Hard to tell in the picture.
-MM-

Attachments

• index.jpg
    index.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 599
  • index.jpg
    index.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 556
There are no natural rocks in this area and they were all carried in here by man at some time. We find alot of hardstones in our area that look alot like this one does. Alot of them have the smooth holes. I never really knew how they made them until I found some alot like yours. From what I have seen it looks like the Indians here peaked out a hole and then used a round ended rock just a tad bit bigger to smooth out the jagged holes.

SoIll said:
That's a nutting stone/anvil. 100 percent artifact.

SoIll,
Can you explain what a nutting stone/anvil is please?
Thanks so much for the info. I'm glad I carried it back now. :thumbsup:
-MM-

SwampHunter said:
There are no natural rocks in this area and they were all carried in here by man at some time. We find alot of hardstones in our area that look alot like this one does. Alot of them have the smooth holes. I never really knew how they made them until I found some alot like yours. From what I have seen it looks like the Indians here peaked out a hole and then used a round ended rock just a tad bit bigger to smooth out the jagged holes.

Very interesting SH. Thank you for that info. That is how the holes on this stone look like. Deep center area with jagged areas that haven't been finished off yet, like a piece mid way through the process. Very cool. :thumbsup:
-MM-

whenever the holes or indentions are small people call them nutting stones. They were used two extract tree nuts (so they say) an anvil would have been used in the knapping process, probably like we use a modern anvil. I will say the jagged holes on yours are unusual, usually they are smoother.

SoIll said:
whenever the holes or indentions are small people call them nutting stones. They were used two extract tree nuts (so they say) an anvil would have been used in the knapping process, probably like we use a modern anvil. I will say the jagged holes on yours are unusual, usually they are smoother.

Thanks again SI.
Great info. :thumbsup:
-MM-

Ohio_Doug said:
Sure looks like a nutting stone to me also, sweet find :thumbsup:

Thanks for the input too Doug.
A neat find indeed. I wonder if my wife will allow it to be displayed indoors. :wink: ;D
-MM-

Ohio_Doug said:

A neat find indeed. I wonder if my wife will allow it to be displayed indoors. :wink: ;D
-MM-

[/quote]

Might take some sweet talking, how do you think I got away with useing this hammerstone as a door stop? :D

Attachments

• hammerstone.jpg
    hammerstone.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 732
Ohio_Doug said:
Ohio_Doug said:

-MM-

Might take some sweet talking, how do you think I got away with useing this hammerstone as a door stop? :D

[/quote]

Great idea. :thumbsup: Us Doug's think alike. :wink:
I was going to tell her the pet rock was back in style again or place a candle in it. :icon_scratch:
-Doug-

What ya need to do is take her hunting with ya, when she finds something she will be as hooked as you are. Just 2 weeks ago I took my girlfriend with me to my dig site and she found a nice worked blade in the sifter. Actually she did'nt realize what she had found until I explained it to her, pointing out the pressure flaking and how it was made, what it could have been used for and how old it was likely to be. Ever since she has been begging me to take her back to dig some more. You have to draw them in man, kinda like when ya first started dating ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back