Key

Murray8144

Aug 20, 2015
Essex County, NJ
Detector(s) used
eTrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Any thoughts on what this key might have been to?

IMG_5912.JPG

Railroad switch key. My dad worked for the railroad for 30 years and actually used these.

Upvote 0
Granted, all older RR switch keys look like this but the key is called a "barrel" key and they were used in other locks besides railroad switch locks. Not every padlock with a barrel key belonged to a rr lock. The stamping or lack thereof would determine if this is the case. I see no markings on the one side unless the "patina" is hiding it. Are there any markings on the other side?

121155080906.jpg
360721448084.jpg
161088976392.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Agree with Dig and AARC. Also not all stamped with RR initials went to a switch padlock. Many...many went to a RR car, warehouse, pump shed....well you get the idea. Most of the time they will have a single stamped letter code on it. An "S" signified switch. Sweet key either way.

I know of a single key that went for a thousand dollars. Hand to God. To answer the next question............YES he found it metal detecting!

Upvote 0
Railroad switch key. My dad worked for the railroad for 30 years and actually used these.
Same here, Nathan. Mine drove spikes for Illinois Central for almost 30 years. Used to have these keys on his keyring.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back