Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was thinking of the little thumb scraper I found and gender roles among Indians, how it probably was a womanā€™s tool to process a hide or foodā€¦ then i thought of something I never really had beforeā€¦ were there woman knappers? Or would men make the tools and hand them off? I donā€™t think Iā€™ve come across anything that looks at that subject. Any thoughts or does anyone know? Also just in the spirit of a treasure net post Iā€™ll throw in a pic of the area and a couple animal friends
IMG_4507.jpeg
IMG_4514.jpeg
IMG_4513.jpeg
IMG_4512.jpeg

Upvote 9
Interesting question.

No other details given, but this is a quote from Dale Weisman in an article on the Texas Parks & Wildlife website:

Archaeological evidence suggests that women in prehistory made stone tools and projectile points, and some Native American women were buried with their knapping tools.

Also this abstract from ā€œFeminine Knowledge and Skill Reconsidered: Women and Flaked Stone Toolsā€ by Kathryn Weedman Arthur in ā€œAmerican Anthropologistā€ published 19 May 2010 (the full paper is behind a paywall):

Archaeologists continue to describe Stone Age women as home bound and their lithic technologies as unskilled, expedient, and of low quality. However, today a group of Konso women [in Ethiopia, not America] make, use, and discard flaked stone tools to process hides, offering us an alternative to the man-the-toolmaker model and redefining Western ā€œnaturalizedā€ gender roles. These Konso women are skilled knappers who develop their expertise through long-term practice and apprenticeship. Their lithic technology demonstrates that an individual's level of skill and age are visible in stone assemblages. Most importantly, they illustrate that women procure high-quality stone from long distances, produce formal tools with skill, and use their tools efficiently. I suggest in this article that archaeologists should consider women the producers of Paleolithic stone scrapers, engaged in bipolar technology, and as such perhaps responsible for some of the earliest-known lithic technologies.

Thanks for the deeper dive redcoat, and I agree why not, naā€™s were smarter and more capable than they usually get credit for, and plenty were matriarchalā€¦ when looking at the scraper i pictured a woman having to ask a male figure to make a tool and it seemed like an inefficient dynamic if she could just do it herself.

EXCELLENT question! :thumbsup:

Thanks for the deeper dive redcoat, and I agree why not,
+1. The Texas article is good. I wish there were more substantiation; maybe there is, but it's doing a good job of hiding from me! šŸ™

I do love these little rabbit holes warrens though.... Like Forrest Gump's box-o-chocolates (food of the gods!), you never know what you're going to find....

First female Chief of the Cherokee Nation:
Wilma Mankiller,
1945-2010

Works on a few levels.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back