Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
Howdy, my friends call me Jeffro!

Penny\'s Diggins.jpg

I guess you could say I first started hunting treasure when I was 5 years old. I had found an old bottle dump behind the house we lived in and dug up an old porcelain pitcher. After cleaning it up, I put some flowers in it and gave it to my Mother for Christmas, I think she's still got it to this day!

The gold bug bit me about 15 years ago, when my folks joined up with the GPAA. They took me out panning for the first time, and we hit a spot up in the Bohemia mining district. After cleaning up the sluice, and panning it all down, there was about 200 colors in the pan. Every one of them placed side by side could've fit on the head of a pin, but boy was I hooked!

After progressing from pans to sluices, to a gold detector, to a highbanker and then a dredge, we went in a filed our first claim, the folks and I. "Penny's Diggins" down on Grave creek, near the Rogue river in Southern Oregon. We had alot of good times down there on our first claim and found some pretty good gold from time to time, to boot.

A horses ....jpg

Dad almost made me an orphan one time, I'll never forget it! We had been walking back and forth over this boulder that was rectangular shaped, all day long. Even sat down on it and had lunch. It sat on a shelf of bedrock right next to the creek, right next to where we were dredging. Well, Dad needed a break and just as he pulled his head out from the water and started to step out of the hole, that rock gave way and slid right on in... grazed his leg and left a pretty nasty bruise. If it'd happened just 10 seconds earlier, Dad would've been a pancake!

We yanked all big rocks from our work area from then on, no matter how stable they appear.

I work in the sheet metal trade, doing many different tasks. I've ran CNC machinery like laser cutters, mills, waterjets, and such. Engineering and programming the machines, too. My son's name is Randy. I am blessed having him in my life.

Attachments

• Randy.jpg
    Randy.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 2,301
  • Randy.jpg
    Randy.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 2,292
  • Check out those legs!.jpg
    Check out those legs!.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 2,259
  • Me and Katie.jpg
    Me and Katie.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 2,241
  • IMG_8639.JPG
    IMG_8639.JPG
    44.8 KB · Views: 1,577
This is one very nice post Jethro...I mean Jeffro.

One thing (among hundreds) I've noticed about this forum is that generally speaking we have a group of people here who have quite impressive jobs and/or lifestyles.

Metal detecting seems to attract mostly the ever vanishing "middle class" and even a fair number of "upper class." Then there are those like myself who add color and maybe a little pepper to the pot.

Very nice post and story. Certainly our thoughts and prayers are with you all.

Badger

Hi Jeffro nice post. Badger said it as well as anyone could. We are all hoping for the best. Burdie

Beautiful photos . Thanks for sharing this glimpse of you and your family. You add alot to this forum and I am glad you are a part of it.

Hi Jeffro! Jeez, how did I miss this thread?! I just happened to be looking through the mugshots and noticed your name. Sorry I'm late. Great family photos and great to have you here! :)

Jeffro, I just wanted to wish you a Happy Uranus Discovery Day! How are you celebrating? ::) ::) :D

Mona Lisa said:
Jeffro, I just wanted to wish you a Happy Uranus Discovery Day! How are you celebrating? ::) ::) :D

I refuse to answer on the grounds I may incriminate myself...... :D

Hey Jeffro,

Don't know how I missed this post either. Anyway, glad to see ya and your family. Thanks for sharing all the pics with us. I love the pic with the horse and the creek...a day of you alone with your thoughts & mother nature...that's my kind of day. ;D

;) RR

Nice to meet you and good luck with everything. I've travelled your road and know what it's like emotionally, may the Grace of God be with your family.
Nice pictures or the family except for that hula girl she just didn't have the right kind of shake for me. ;D

Welcoem to mugs! ;D

Jeffro, You seem to be well grounded and have things in perspective. I wish you and your family the best of health and happiness.....Steve

You are a valuable member of Tnet, Jeffro. Your family shots are wonderful. I just wanted to tell you that......

...............and Happy Artichoke Heart's Day! Do a hula!

So when's Mona Lisa's day? BTW, I love what you've done with your ummmmm... hair!

Thanks all, we sure appreciate it!

Hey Jeffro, We thought you had dropped off the face of the earth, Its good to see you are still kickin, does this phrase mean anythig to you d!@#n thats ALUMINUM , lets get together and do some catching up. Ted

goldgrubber02 said:
Hey Jeffro, We thought you had dropped off the face of the earth, Its good to see you are still kickin, does this phrase mean anythig to you d!@#n thats ALUMINUM , lets get together and do some catching up. Ted

"DAMN!, that's ALUMINUM!"

HEHEHEH!, How the heck are ya Ted? Long time no see- we're doing a trip to Quartzville here in a couple months with a bunch of great folks on this forum, hope to see you there if not sooner. I'll definately give ya a buzz next time I head north, thats for sure. Say Hey to Larry and the rest of the gang for me!-

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back