✅ SOLVED Is this nail very old? Worth any money?

Peace

Oct 20, 2024
Found this in a yard. May be a railroad screw from 1800. Not sure.
TOOL LOOK UP.jpg

Solution
Worth very little, for sure. Almost no metal value and bent and rusted so it would be hard to restore to use. But I have used similar ones for pins in a tractor trailer hitch, just stuck in a hole and no nut on it. The square head was used earlier than the hexagonal heads used today, or maybe for a special purpose, such as the RR as you suggest. The threads look common and machine made. Just a guess it is from the early to mid 1900s.
The rust makes it looks ancient. I told my kids we found something from the stone age! haha

So, it's just a modern, large screw? Not worth more than a dollar? It doesn't weigh more than 5 pounds.

There's a railroad nearby. I assume it's from there.

Upvote 1
Worth very little, for sure. Almost no metal value and bent and rusted so it would be hard to restore to use. But I have used similar ones for pins in a tractor trailer hitch, just stuck in a hole and no nut on it. The square head was used earlier than the hexagonal heads used today, or maybe for a special purpose, such as the RR as you suggest. The threads look common and machine made. Just a guess it is from the early to mid 1900s.

Upvote 0
Solution

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back