Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Is this gold diamond ring ruined? Updated 'after' cleaning pics

This past weekend, I found this gold diamond ring at the beach. It is marked 10K and the maker's mark is ZRW, which is Jewel America Inc.(I think.) It has 12 smaller diamonds in a circle, and 3 larger ones. It was about 8 inches deep buried in a shell wash at the ocean's edge at low tide. The prongs are strange looking in that they are rounded at the top. I don't know if this is from constant movement in the ocean or if they were made that way. I have soaked it in jewelry cleaner, soft & hard brushed it, but nothing I have done will clean the crud off of it. Is this ring ruined or is there a way to clean it? Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions. Breezie

April 8, 2010
The after pics are below, and NO, this diamond ring was not ruined. :thumbsup:

Attachments

• DiamondRing1.jpg
    DiamondRing1.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 1,174
  • DiamondRing2.jpg
    DiamondRing2.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 951
  • DiamondRing3.jpg
    DiamondRing3.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 1,025
Re: Is this gold diamond ring ruined? Updated 'after' cleaning pics

BioProfessor said:
Breezie,

It is a "fluffy" buffing wheel. It gets in all the nooks and crannies. Sort of like this one.

Daryl

Okay, I know what my problem was . . .I was using the solid soft wheel, and not the layered one. Also, I'll order some of your cleaner. Here's a site I've used:
**link removed per request**

Ivan, it's in the mail! LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Breezie,

Many of the cleaners need an ultrasonic unit. Make sure you check.

Daryl

Upvote 0

If I may be so bold as to ask why someone would plate a yellow gold ring with white gold. Is there any medical or aesthetic reason?

This topic has caused me to relook at some of the old rings that I have taken from the water.

One of them appears to be coppery under the white gold or silver plating. It is marked 14K.

Anyway, thanks for the interesting read and knowledge.

Ralph

Upvote 0

From a production standpoint, it is easier to make ALL your rings yellow gold and then plate the ones you need to be white gold. I don't know the numbers but I would bet the ratio of yellow gold sales to white gold sales is close to 5:1 or higher.

Daryl

Upvote 0

Montauk3 said:
If I may be so bold as to ask why someone would plate a yellow gold ring with white gold. Is there any medical or aesthetic reason?

This topic has caused me to relook at some of the old rings that I have taken from the water.

One of them appears to be coppery under the white gold or silver plating. It is marked 14K.

Anyway, thanks for the interesting read and knowledge.

Ralph

Hello Ralph, You've got it backwards; it is a white 10K gold ring that was plated with yellow gold. I asked the jeweler the same question, 'why'? He said the gold made the ring 'look' more expensive for that particular time frame. During my parents era most of the wedding rings were yellow gold. During my marriage age era, most of their wedding rings were white gold. From what I understand, white gold is gold plus palledium & nickel(they now use silver because of nickel allergies) and yellow gold is gold plus copper and zinc.

If your ring is 14K, then it's gold; either white or yellow it's worth having it cleaned.

Thanks to all who RSVP-ed to this post. Breezie

Upvote 0

Oops. Got it backwards.

NEVER MIND.

Daryl

Upvote 0

You are quite right. I just did a "file" test on the ring in question and as you said, It is white under the yellow.

Who said you can't teach an old dog new tricks?

Thank you much.

Ralph

Upvote 0

Breezie, the prongs buff out the same as the rest. 10K white gold usually has nickel as the whitening alloy. Higher karat white gold uses iridium or palladium. I think the crusty stuff was a reaction with the nickel. Jewelers use a "pickle", usually a product called Sparex, or sometimes nitric acid. It certainly looks very nice now, and $20 seems reasonable considering it probably took a half hour to get it polished. Very nice find! Niffler

Upvote 0
Re: Is this gold diamond ring ruined?

Breezie said:
Below are the 'after' pics of the ring, which I will admit came out better than I expected. I asked the jeweler how he cleaned it; and even asked if he used ionics or strong acid. The only thing he said was, 'we soaked it, then polished it.' Then I asked, soaked in what? His reply, 'cleaner.' So, I guess his secret remains. It was well worth the $20.00. ;D Breezie
Breezie,BEAUTIFUL !!! and great find! 1ST. Sorry to have used your post as a"soap-box"(or TN for that matter)i beleive i stated to get it tested because of the way it looked,Obviously it is white gold&that is why it looked suspect to me but wow looks really nice...I have a couple jewler freinds(very close freinds)and the WILL NOT give up any of their(cleaning,etc.) secrects :dontknow:,...HH ALL !

Upvote 0

That ring looks spectacular now! Will you be wearing it?

Upvote 0

20 BUCKS????

That is beautiful and Banner worthy!
I learned from this post gold doesn't always keep it's brilliancy...
Great find neighbor

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back