Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Is this gold diamond ring ruined? Updated 'after' cleaning pics

This past weekend, I found this gold diamond ring at the beach. It is marked 10K and the maker's mark is ZRW, which is Jewel America Inc.(I think.) It has 12 smaller diamonds in a circle, and 3 larger ones. It was about 8 inches deep buried in a shell wash at the ocean's edge at low tide. The prongs are strange looking in that they are rounded at the top. I don't know if this is from constant movement in the ocean or if they were made that way. I have soaked it in jewelry cleaner, soft & hard brushed it, but nothing I have done will clean the crud off of it. Is this ring ruined or is there a way to clean it? Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions. Breezie

April 8, 2010
The after pics are below, and NO, this diamond ring was not ruined. :thumbsup:

Attachments

• DiamondRing1.jpg
    DiamondRing1.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 1,174
  • DiamondRing2.jpg
    DiamondRing2.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 951
  • DiamondRing3.jpg
    DiamondRing3.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 1,025
Re: Is this gold diamond ring ruined?

Letsgethammered said:
Toothpaste is abrasive , gold one of the softest metals known , for what its worth.Any abrasians wont hardly be visable to the eye , but they are under magnification which is what an expert will always use for valuations or sales.
Don't think it will make much difference :P since it's been tossed about in the sea for god knows how long. amd using toothpaste on my Gold coin made no reflection on the value.... when I sold it.

SS

Upvote 0

Thats quite surprising with the coin , in collectors circles a cleaned coin regardless of material makes a huge difference.With gold and a learned buyer its little more than bullion at that point.

Upvote 0

Letsgethammered said:
Thats quite surprising with the coin , in collectors circles a cleaned coin regardless of material makes a huge difference.With gold and a learned buyer its little more than bullion at that point.
That wouldn't be true with ancient coins, as most are dug coins, so collecters would expect coins to be cleaned in some way or another :)

SS

Upvote 0

4-H said:
:hello: Hi Donna

I'm concerned about this one friend.
Gold should not tarnish like that. I'm baffled
:icon_scratch:"Junk-Jewlery" is what it was called in Chicargo while in boot camp(U.S.N.-75-80)&It was meant to deceive,also sold in back of magazines,Now i'm not saying that it is "junk jewlery"...Have it tested,as your friend said"i'm baffled",Gold should not look like that no matter what the conditions except a 2000 o fire...I cannot find mark in anyof my jewlery books,not that that means anything,Good Luck w/ring. :read2:, :thumbsup:(just my 2 cents)

Upvote 0

tokenhead said:
4-H said:

:icon_scratch:"Junk-Jewlery" is what it was called in Chicargo while in boot camp(U.S.N.-75-80)&It was meant to deceive,also sold in back of magazines,Now i'm not saying that it is "junk jewlery"...Have it tested,as your friend said"i'm baffled",Gold should not look like that no matter what the conditions except a 2000 o fire...I cannot find mark in anyof my jewlery books,not that that means anything,Good Luck w/ring. :read2:, :thumbsup:(just my 2 cents)

You spent 5 years in boot camp? Hope you were the trainer and not the trainee! I spent 8 weeks there in '77 and it was plenty.

Upvote 0

Breezie, having worked as a professional goldsmith, and trained for 7 years in metalsmithing at Idaho State University, I can tell you the jeweler will buff it with a cloth wheel and jewelers rouge. It should buff up very nicely. Very lucky find! Niffler

Upvote 0

Mark S. said:
tokenhead said:
4-H said:

You spent 5 years in boot camp? Hope you were the trainer and not the trainee! I spent 8 weeks there in '77 and it was plenty.
Is that a joke???,Not funny not funny at all...joined in74&was in action by 75&by 77 had many missions under my belt BOOT ! Soory to ALL for using this fourm as a "soap-box"...I take our veterans VERY seriously. HH ALL !!!

Upvote 0

Come on. Lighten up guys. We all try humor from time to time. Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn't.

I don't think anybody thought it was a slam on any veteran. Just taking advantage of a statement that sounded like it could be funny. Sort of like - "The perspective employer asks "Your resume says you have 16 years of education but yet you don't have a High School Diploma. What's up? The person being interviewed says, I do have 16 years of education. I spent 12 years in the 5th grade."

I am sure we ALL salute and respect those that have served.

Daryl

Upvote 0

That gold Celtic coin is just about the coolest thing I'ver ever seen! :headbang:

Upvote 0

BioProfessor said:
Come on. Lighten up guys. We all try humor from time to time. Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn't.

I don't think anybody thought it was a slam on any veteran. Just taking advantage of a statement that sounded like it could be funny. Sort of like - "The perspective employer asks "Your resume says you have 16 years of education but yet you don't have a High School Diploma. What's up? The person being interviewed says, I do have 16 years of education. I spent 12 years in the 5th grade."

I am sure we ALL salute and respect those that have served.

Daryl
BioProfessor i agree totally,But yes i took it as a slam at me,not vets.in general...To assume someone you don't know may think its funny is not what TN is about nor what life in general is about.This is a fourm for MD'ing,etc.Yes things are said here in humor but usually between known people,with that peace to all&HH ALL!!!

Upvote 0

Below are the 'after' pics of the ring, which I will admit came out better than I expected. I asked the jeweler how he cleaned it; and even asked if he used ionics or strong acid. The only thing he said was, 'we soaked it, then polished it.' Then I asked, soaked in what? His reply, 'cleaner.' So, I guess his secret remains. It was well worth the $20.00. ;D Breezie

Attachments

• DiamondRingCleaned1.jpg
    DiamondRingCleaned1.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 411
  • DiamondRingCleaned2.jpg
    DiamondRingCleaned2.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 408
  • DiamondRingCleaned3.jpg
    DiamondRingCleaned3.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 375
  • DiamondRingCleaned4.jpg
    DiamondRingCleaned4.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 371
Upvote 0
Re: Is this gold diamond ring ruined? Updated 'after' cleaning pics

Actually it is "Cleaner." You can buy it at jeweler supply stores. It's called cleaner. And then a polish with Jeweler's rouge. That's the process.

Looks good to me.

Daryl

Upvote 0

that looks well worth the $20 cleaning fee

Upvote 0

BioProfessor said:
Actually it is "Cleaner." You can buy it at jeweler supply stores. It's called cleaner. And then a polish with Jeweler's rouge. That's the process.

Looks good to me.

Daryl

Daryl, I used 2 different namebrands of jewelry cleaner that came from a jewelery supply store, plus Jeweler's rouge with a Dremel soft pad, but it still looked the same. I think he must have used some type of very strong acid.
It looks good to me too; thanks, Breezie

Upvote 0

VERY Nice! :icon_thumleft:

Definitely $20.00 well spent.

Upvote 0

if you still think its "ruined" -- I'll pay the $20 cleaning fee , plus postage and trade ya a nice silver dollar for it ;D :wink: :icon_thumright:

Upvote 0

This is what I have used. It is pretty potent stuff.

Daryl

Attachments

• cleaner.jpg
    cleaner.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 551
Upvote 0

niffler said:
Breezie, having worked as a professional goldsmith, and trained for 7 years in metalsmithing at Idaho State University, I can tell you the jeweler will buff it with a cloth wheel and jewelers rouge. It should buff up very nicely. Very lucky find! Niffler

NIffler, how do you clean the area beside and around the prongs with a buffing wheel? Does it hurt and/or loosen the diamonds? Breezie

Upvote 0

Breezie,

It is a "fluffy" buffing wheel. It gets in all the nooks and crannies. Sort of like this one.

Daryl

Attachments

• buff.jpg
    buff.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 450
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back