British Columbia

Attachments

• Coin-01.jpg
    Coin-01.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 202
  • Coin-02.jpg
    Coin-02.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 175
Looks like a Gold Australian Sovereign ? Half Sovereign ?
late 1800's
I'm not familiar enough with them to say 100%
Real. But being it was turned into a Love Token it's Likely a real one.

Definitely worth its weight in gold and a Premium
to "Love Token" Collectors,
My guess Bare Minimum $400.00 to collectors.
Far Less to Pawn Shops, Coin Dealers & Gold Buyers

Last edited:
Upvote 8
Looks like a Gold Australian Sovereign ? Half Sovereign ?
late 1800's
I'm not familiar enough with them to say 100%
Real. But being it was turned into a Love Token it's Likely a real one.

Definitely worth its weight in gold and a Premium
to "Love Token" Collectors,
My guess Bare Minimum $400.00 to collectors.
Far Less to Pawn Shops, Coin Dealers & Gold Buyers
Thanks so much. I tried googling it myself but couldn't find any with the flip side with the initials only.

Upvote 1
Thanks so much. I tried googling it myself but couldn't find any with the flip side with the initials only.

The initials were hand carved to make what's called a "love token" as others have mentioned. It's made from a real coin, so the back would have originally looked different. It was modified by someone at some point.

2024-03-05_18-06-35.png

(not sure if this is the exact coin)

Last edited:
Upvote 4
google "love token society" and the first hit is a forum for love token collectors if you are interested in talking to any of them about your piece. They also have a facebook group that's listed on that page as well. I'd share a link here but since it's another forum, I'm not sure if that's against the rules here or not.

Upvote 2
I have a feature on my Android phone, i took the pic and it says 22K Gold 1892 Queen Victoria Sovereign. Wow 22 karat.
Just for discussion how does your feature distinguish size/weight/year of the Jubilee Head?
Answer: Probably it doesn't-random selection
Screen Shot 2024-03-07 at 8.49.21 AM.png

The OP needs to measure the coin to determine size

When we speak about modern sovereigns, including the half sovereigns, we refer to issues beyond 1817. The dimensions of the modern half-sovereign include a diameter of 19.30 mm and a thickness of 0.99mm.

On the other hand, the full sovereign has a diameter of 22.05 mm and a thickness of 1.52 mm. The half-sovereign, weighing 3.99 g, is around half that of the full sovereign, which weighs 7.98 g. The half-sovereign, therefore, contains 0.1176 troy ounces of 22-carat crown gold. You can see more detail about the sizes of sovereigns on our dedicated page.

Upvote 3
The initials were hand carved to make what's called a "love token" as others have mentioned. It's made from a real coin, so the back would have originally looked different. It was modified by someone at some point.

View attachment 2135573

(not sure if this is the exact coin)
Grasshopper, thank you so very much. That's what was confusing me, as I wasn't able to find the other side for a match. That is incredible! His family is from the UK so now we have a bit more to go on for his history.

Upvote 1
google "love token society" and the first hit is a forum for love token collectors if you are interested in talking to any of them about your piece. They also have a facebook group that's listed on that page as well. I'd share a link here but since it's another forum, I'm not sure if that's against the rules here or not.
Thank you, I'll do some snooping. This is very exciting!

Upvote 1
Just for discussion how does your feature distinguish size/weight/year of the Jubilee Head?
Answer: Probably it doesn't-random selectionView attachment 2135822

The OP needs to measure the coin to determine size

When we speak about modern sovereigns, including the half sovereigns, we refer to issues beyond 1817. The dimensions of the modern half-sovereign include a diameter of 19.30 mm and a thickness of 0.99mm.

On the other hand, the full sovereign has a diameter of 22.05 mm and a thickness of 1.52 mm. The half-sovereign, weighing 3.99 g, is around half that of the full sovereign, which weighs 7.98 g. The half-sovereign, therefore, contains 0.1176 troy ounces of 22-carat crown gold. You can see more detail about the sizes of sovereigns on our dedicated page.

Upvote 0
"In times gone by, it was common practice to give a coin to your sweetheart as a token of love. The coins were usually smoothed down almost obliterating one side and then bowed. Sometimes they would be engraved with initials or love signs such as hearts or knots.

Perhaps that much gold is removed while doing this:dontknow:

Shaving gold coins was Illegal back then,
But Doing it to make Jewelry would have been a Loophole because the coin was not intended to be placed back in circulation,

would have been like a Tip to the person carving them to save the crumbs :laughing7:

Last edited:
Upvote 3
The weight of the coin is 3.5g. whereas the half-sovereign is 3.99g. Why is that I wonder?? I don't have a battery for my calipers for dimensions.
That's the total weight with the clasp?
The shaving of the reverse to take off the details, then the engraving on the coin would result in a less weight.
It's a Half Sovereign being just over 3 grams.

Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back