British Columbia

Attachments

• Coin-01.jpg
    Coin-01.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 203
  • Coin-02.jpg
    Coin-02.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 176
Your partners coin/love token definitely has a collectible/historic value, although it's lost it numismatic value. The first love tokens were coins that had been bent so they could no longer be used as money. They were given as charms to prospective lovers. In the 17thc coins started to be engraved, so it wasn't so much about lovers but more about marking an occasion such as births, marriages and deaths. The value of love tokens depends on the amount of wear or damage to the token, the denomination of the host coin, and the quality of the engraving.
- Dave

Upvote 0
most likely Would have been done in the late 1800's

Here in the U.s. seated Silver Coins were mostly what I've seen used.

Considering they were still in Circulation at that time , it would be comparable to using a Kennedy Half

Upvote 4
thank you Pepper--For me- I just could not bring myself to make a token, even if the coin is damaged, but thanks for info
Eh but the love in the heart out measures the gold in the coin many times over.
I have found two types of Love tokens the bent coin/the inscribed coin.

Upvote 3
From what I Could find online I THINK Half Sovereigns may still be Legal Tender & if I Read Right and you spend it in a store, you could buy 64 Cents
worth of Candy :tongue3:

Upvote 2
most likely Would have been done in the late 1800's

Here in the U.s. seated Silver Coins were mostly what I've seen used.

Considering they were still in Circulation at that time , it would be comparable to using a Kennedy Half
The quarter is 1854
All the others are the bent Love Token examples
20240308_142745.jpg
20240308_142720.jpg

Upvote 4
"In times gone by, it was common practice to give a coin to your sweetheart as a token of love. The coins were usually smoothed down almost obliterating one side and then bowed. Sometimes they would be engraved with initials or love signs such as hearts or knots.

Perhaps that much gold is removed while doing this:dontknow:

Shaving gold coins was Illegal back then,
But Doing it to make Jewelry would have been a Loophole because the coin was not intended to be placed back in circulation,

would have been like a Tip to the person carving them to save the crumbs :laughing7:
I see....yes..saving the gold would be a plus for sure.

Upvote 3
That's the total weight with the clasp?
The shaving of the reverse to take off the details, then the engraving on the coin would result in a less weight.
It's a Half Sovereign being just over 3 grams.
I removed the bail clasp as I can't see a marking on it if it's gold. I weighed only the coin. Good to know for future reference! Thank you!

Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back