Is this Authentic?

coinman66

Nov 23, 2006
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle II SL 90
My buddy found this years back, he wanted me to post it for him. He found it in a plowed field in East Central Illinois. We cant decide if its real or a reproduction. Its heavy for its size. If its real whats it worth he might sell it? Thanks
Coinman66

Attachments

• Metal Detector Finds 163.jpg
    Metal Detector Finds 163.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 1,061
  • Metal Detector Finds 161.jpg
    Metal Detector Finds 161.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 1,048
  • Metal Detector Finds 160.jpg
    Metal Detector Finds 160.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 1,025
A friend Found one up here in Schuylkill County.
Probably Brought home After the War.

Upvote 0
Yup... it sure looks real!

If he wants to start comparing prices and values... tell him to Google "dug US belt plate" and start reading. There are enough out there for sale that he should get a great idea of condition vs. value.

Upvote 0
Thats a good un. Later model arrow hook plate. The shape its in, probably worth $100 +/- $25. The union stuff isn't worth a great deal, there is a lot of it floating around, but it sure is neat to find.

Upvote 0
There were no battles fought in Illinois during the Civil War but there were several Union camps,prisons,and depots scattered around the state. Training camps;Blum,Douglas, and Long in Chicago,Mather in Peoria,Yates ,Taylor,and Butler in Springfield. Quincey,Carrolton,Aurora,and Cairo also had training camps.

Prisoners of war were held at Camp Douglas,Butler,Rock Island,and Alton Penitentiary.

Cairo also had a hospital and supply depot as well as the training camp.

All of these places would be good hunting if they were availible.

Don't forget that equipment was carried home by troops and all of the Civil War equipment and supplies were eventually disposed of by the army.

hasbeen

Upvote 0
Great find. Tell your buddy to keep it as the bragging rights are certainly worth more than the little money you could get on E-Bay for it.
I would dream of parting with a great find like that but that's just me.

George

Upvote 0
Hey Coinman, There were several camps in Illinois during the Civil War one of the largest being camp Butler near Cairo. A large part of Sherman's force that invaded the South were Illinois troops. And I believe what you have is the real McCoy!!. Tony

Upvote 0
Looks like the real thing!
I found 2 about 4 years ago north east of Indy. I found 1 one week and hunted another site where an old house once stood and found another a week later. The old houses were about a mile apart.

Upvote 0
looks real to me!

A buddy of mine was hunting an old field where his great grandparents lived and raised, pulled one up almost like it, but only the U in U.S. was left. Pretty cool how things can find there way up here. Probably brought home by some soldier after the war.

99Brown

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back