Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
This was found some years ago in road fill dug from a rock pit in South Florida years ago. Rock and shell dug from these pits are used to make roads. Its hard as a rock, smooth on the outside and has layers inside. Is this a fossilized rib bone or something else?

DSC00846.JPGDSC00845.JPGDSC00847.JPGDSC00850.JPG

Attachments

• DSC00885.JPG
    DSC00885.JPG
    497.7 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
Upvote 0
close up pic of the layering and cleavage. I have not seen this in a shell. Even crispen says its not a bone. :thumbsup:

DSC00848.JPG DSC00849.JPG

Upvote 0
Multiple layers of plaster? The edge-on shot of layers are too thick for shell or bone. But the second image appears to show voids from small bubbles.

Upvote 0
Multiple layers of plaster? The edge-on shot of layers are too thick for shell or bone. But the second image appears to show voids from small bubbles.
The layers seem hard but I just tried and I can nick it with my knife. But I dont think its plaster but its not as hard as I thought it would be. Its not as hard as tooth enamel.

Well its definitely not bone but we are thinking fossilized mineralized bone. It looks and feels like a rock except one side is smooth. Its dense and heavy.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Maybe it is some kind of concrete/ plaster ring. There was a lot of that home made shell mix concrete laying around that the old timers used to use for concrete. I think they call it tabby. Not sure. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tabby_concrete

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back