Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
This was found some years ago in road fill dug from a rock pit in South Florida years ago. Rock and shell dug from these pits are used to make roads. Its hard as a rock, smooth on the outside and has layers inside. Is this a fossilized rib bone or something else?

DSC00846.JPGDSC00845.JPGDSC00847.JPGDSC00850.JPG

Attachments

• DSC00885.JPG
    DSC00885.JPG
    497.7 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
Such a tooth or claw would not be unusual of that size during the Pleistocene megafauna,
i.e., ground sloth & saber toothed tiger, still pretty conjectural with mere pictures, just my thoughts. HHing!

We had Colombian Woolly Mammoths and Giant Sloths here in the South Florida Everglades. Thanks for the help Mark Todd and jwarner51. If its not a fossil, I dont know what else it could be.

It would be wild if its a Saber Tooth Tiger tooth. My friend found a Woolly Mammoth tusk while digging a canal near where this was found and he donated it.

Upvote 0
Photos of the incurvatate edge of your piece would seem to rule out any notion of jawbone as there is no indication of bone cavities for tooth
placement.

Yes thats true. What are those layers? They are very hard. It almost looks as if it was cut with a saw on the inside edge but not exactly. And it almost looks like 2 attempted punctures on the smooth surface. The part next to the "punctures" is very smooth and also hard,

layers.JPG unknown punctures.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
I assume you're referring to picture #3, if so teeth and claws have higher density in different places and lead to natural erosion in different stratifications, or differential fossilization which is not uncommon in prehistoric claws and teeth. All this said, I'm just guessing based on what I see. I'm no expert, but my Grandfather was a serious rockhounder . I learned a little from him. Even historic teeth or claws can regularly be found with linear layers or cuts, as you put it.

Upvote 0
It not a natural occuring rock thats for sure. I just dont know what it is but its something. You could tell if you held it in your hand.

Upvote 0
Bch, I would lean towards a bone of sorts as well, if you like here is a email link I use to get opinions and facts of any kind on items I find or even pics I take of items that are in bedrock or too heavy to carry out. This is my contact at the ROM (Royal Ontario Museum) Gwen will re-direct your pics to the best possible department for verification, patience is a must on awaiting a reply, normally my expected replies have been approx 8 weeksish, cheers and good luck. Jon

[email protected]

Upvote 0
I know this is the wrong coast for this but it looks like part of an abalone shell to me:

th

OK I dont know if abalone was found in Florida but you never know what ends up in road fill. Its certainly full of shells.
unknown 4.JPG

There is also a possibility that it was an old broken piece from a tourist souvenir like this one because an old tourist stop was near where it was found.
abalone shell.jpg

Does the inside edge of am abalone shell have layers like my original pic#3? Are they heavy? i may have to find one in person and see if it could be a match or to eliminate the possibility. Im thinking that it may fit.:dontknow:. But only if it has layers and cleavage. Thanks for the suggestion.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OK I dont know if abalone was found in Florida but you never know what ends up in road fill. Its certainly full of shells.
View attachment 1193402

There is also a possibility that it was an old broken piece from a tourist souvenir like this one because an old tourist stop was near where it was found.
View attachment 1193401

Does the inside edge of am abalone shell have layers like my original pic#3? Are they heavy? i may have to find one in person and see if it could be a match or to eliminate the possibility. Im thinking that it may fit.:dontknow:. But only if it has layers and cleavage. Thanks for the suggestion.

Abalone is rather shiny an almost has a pearl like appearance.

Upvote 0
Abalone is rather shiny an almost has a pearl like appearance.
One side of my mystery item is smooth and shiny but not like a pearl; more like ivory or the surface of a tooth. I am not convinced its abalone but I want to look into it. Where can I find an abalone shell to compare?

The cleavage and layers are very distinct as shown in pic#3. If an abalone shell doesnt show these layers, than I would rule it out.

Upvote 0
It is not bone. Sorry folks. It could very easily be a tooth or nail. They are totally different and depend on the animal. Tooth or nail have longer carbon half life and would have a much greater chance to become fossilized. Its not bone. It is definitely not a mandible or maxilla.

Upvote 0
It is not bone. Sorry folks. It could very easily be a tooth or nail. They are totally different and depend on the animal. Tooth or nail have longer carbon half life and would have a much greater chance to become fossilized. Its not bone. It is definitely not a mandible or maxilla.
We have already determined that it has no cavities for teeth and fossilized tooth or claw is top of the list. But are you stating that bones do not fossilize? Because an authenticated section of fossilized jawbone was just posted here by jwarner51. Try to catch up by reading all the replies.

to update the most likely:

1- fossilized tooth from a sabre tooth tiger or other prehistoric animal

2- part of an Abalbone shell from a Florida souvenir item.

3-some kind of fossilized claw from the Pleistocene period

4- fossilized bone is near the bottom of the list of possibilities. No cavities for teeth so its not a jawbone.

5- conch or some other very large shell

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'll stick with my original assessment of a broken (curved) section of a conch shell or some other large shell. If this was posted in the fossil section you would have probably had a correct answer already.

Ask Harry Pristis, he can tell you what it is.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Abalone shell definitely has layers and loses its pearlescent appearance as it ages and degrades. The curvature of your item is perfect fit.
It can be ground up, as I suppose conch shell can, as a soil amendment to add lime to soil.

Good Luck.

Upvote 0
Abalone shell definitely has layers and loses its pearlescent appearance as it ages and degrades. The curvature of your item is perfect fit.
It can be ground up, as I suppose conch shell can, as a soil amendment to add lime to soil.

Good Luck.

The fill that comes from a rock pit in South Florida is full of native shells and needs no additives for roads or parking lots. But it was a tourist stop so its very possible and I agree it has the correct curvature but the inside edge with the layers and cleavage doesnt seem to match. But I will move it up to #2..

To me this has always been just a broken piece of crap but now I think its possible to be a large tooth. Thanks.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'll stick with my original assessment of a broken (curved) section of a conch shell or some other large shell. If this was posted in the fossil section you would have probably had a correct answer already.

Ask Harry Pristis, he can tell you what it is.
The fossil people that posted here seem knowlegable but Ok I will look at a large conch and post it over in the fossil section. Can you paint on your conch picture what part you think this is? It would have to be an edge piece and Im not seeing it.

I dont know anything about fossils. Ill search the site. http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/gallery/member/42-Harry+Pristis/
thanks digg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back