Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
This was found some years ago in road fill dug from a rock pit in South Florida years ago. Rock and shell dug from these pits are used to make roads. Its hard as a rock, smooth on the outside and has layers inside. Is this a fossilized rib bone or something else?

DSC00846.JPGDSC00845.JPGDSC00847.JPGDSC00850.JPG

Attachments

• DSC00885.JPG
    DSC00885.JPG
    497.7 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
It came off my camera but I didnt post that last photo so ignore it. I dont know how to delete it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Conch shell and bone both look good to me, but then what do I know -- not much about conch shells or petrified bones.

Upvote 0
It seems too thick and heavy to be part from a conch shell. Im not sure what part it could be? Its 3/4 inch thick on the fat end.

Upvote 0
I was thinking jaw bone--but im not an expert :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
Does anyone know how I can delete image #5 attached thumbnails?

Upvote 0
Go to your posts or threads and click edit

Upvote 0
1attachment.php.jpgView attachment 1193196

I tried to highlight stuff...but it didn't work.

Bottom left you see broken off edge. If bone this would be porous as it would make up bone marrow.

Top middle you see chipping, bone doesn't chip like that, it is flexible and fractures.

Top bottom right. Sharp edges delineated. Bone doesn't form like this. Not a jaw bone. Look up maxilla and mandible. Looks nothing like it.

doc

Last edited:
Upvote 0
View attachment 1193197View attachment 1193196

Bottom left you see broken off edge. If bone this would be porous as it would make up bone marrow.

Top middle you see chipping, bone doesn't chip like that, it is flexible and fractures.

Top bottom right. Sharp edges delineated. Bone doesn't form like this. Not a jaw bone. Look up maxilla and mandible. Looks nothing like it.

doc

Yea my photos didnt turn out too well. Cloudy day I think.

Its definitely no longer bone, I realize that. I thought maybe it has fossilized because its hard as a rock. But if its not fossilized bone, what is it? its not shell.

Im not convinced its a jawbone but its the best guess so far. . I know very little about how bones become fossilized rock. This thing is hard as a rock. The bone marrow long gone and filled with what looks like layers. The other side does have pourous holes you speak of.

Thanks for helping. Hey did you figure out how to use the silver test solution and did any of your beach items test out to be 90 percent silver or above? I quit following the thread.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
View attachment 1193197View attachment 1193196

doc
Although you may be correct on it not being a mandible all your characteristics of bones you describe are of just normal bones. I feel some of these characteristics would change as the physical bone is replaced by minerals as it is fossilized.

Upvote 0
From the pics. and as you said, heavy considering mass, I'd guess possibly mineralized/petrified tooth or claw.

Upvote 0
Update: I found it. Mine is from an Oreodont which is estimated around 30million years old. It was found in Lusk,Wyoming. Yours may not be from this animal but the appearance of yours and mine are very similar. I think you have a fossilized bone.

Attachments

• 1438231412570.jpg
    1438231412570.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 75
  • 1438231463692.jpg
    1438231463692.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 77
  • 1438231501630.jpg
    1438231501630.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 70
Upvote 0
Such a tooth or claw would not be unusual of that size during the Pleistocene megafauna,
i.e., ground sloth & saber toothed tiger, still pretty conjectural with mere pictures, just my thoughts. HHing!

Upvote 0
From the pics. and as you said, heavy considering mass, I'd guess possibly mineralized/petrified tooth or claw.

Yes its very dense and heavy not at all like a shell. Its the layers that are strange. I know very little about fossilized rock.

Upvote 0
Update: I found it. Mine is from an Oreodont which is estimated around 30million years old. It was found in Lusk,Wyoming. Yours may not be from this animal but the appearance of yours and mine are very similar. I think you have a fossilized bone.
How did you get it authenticated?

Upvote 0
Photos of the incurvatate edge of your piece would seem to rule out any notion of jawbone as there is no indication of bone cavities for tooth
placement.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back