Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

I decided to take a few minutes to share stories and photos of my last two hunts with some members of my team. A few days ago, I went out with Hill Billy and got permission to hit a nice site in a cut corn field. It was a beautiful sight that I will hold dearly to in the coming six months when the fields are in crop and we are using a machete to tear through the tick-infested woods in search of a site to detect. I will miss this scenery:Acres and Acres of open space.

1.jpg

We found our iron patch--and boy was it thick! I really think that this homestead was used as a barn after it was abandoned. Right away, HB found the one coin for the day--an 1873 "closed 3" variedy Indian Head Cent. :thumbsup:

2.jpg

While HB stuck to the iron patch, flailing the junk iron at a pile we were making to haul away later, I wandered out away from the site, on the off chance that we were working a barn site rather than a house. There was no second iron patch anywhere close by, but as I came back towards where HB was, I snapped a good photo of him swinging away.

3.jpg

He made some interesting finds at the site--including a nice 1830s decorative civilian button, a decorative ladies belt buckle, one of the infamous mystery "two-hole brass thingys," and an odd piece that is gilded, with several chains connecting two discs. :icon_scratch: My Buckleboy mojo was not working, and I ended up with two large decorative brass grates and a small ornamental Victorian brass ornament. :P Here are some photos of the finds on the tailgate of the truck:

4.jpg

5.jpg

And some photos of the finds after cleaning. (What the heck is the thing in the first photo?)

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

Oh ya... and we dug a little iron too:

10.jpg

The story and photos of the second hunt appear in the next reply below:

Upvote 0
Dman said:
Great finds. That is a clipped edge militia plate. Looks to be pre- Civil War.
Dman

Thanks Dman--Quindy looked for it tonight, but it's the tongue on the back that seems like the wrong style--much too wide. I do agree about the holes on it being for a company letter or insignia to be attached to the front of the plate. If it weren't for the tongue, I would feel fairly confident that it was an 1820s or 1830s militia plate.

If you happen across any more information, please drop a line anytime. I'm sure Rodeo would be grateful for anything you could find out.

Best Wishes,

Buckles

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back