Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

I decided to take a few minutes to share stories and photos of my last two hunts with some members of my team. A few days ago, I went out with Hill Billy and got permission to hit a nice site in a cut corn field. It was a beautiful sight that I will hold dearly to in the coming six months when the fields are in crop and we are using a machete to tear through the tick-infested woods in search of a site to detect. I will miss this scenery:Acres and Acres of open space.

1.jpg

We found our iron patch--and boy was it thick! I really think that this homestead was used as a barn after it was abandoned. Right away, HB found the one coin for the day--an 1873 "closed 3" variedy Indian Head Cent. :thumbsup:

2.jpg

While HB stuck to the iron patch, flailing the junk iron at a pile we were making to haul away later, I wandered out away from the site, on the off chance that we were working a barn site rather than a house. There was no second iron patch anywhere close by, but as I came back towards where HB was, I snapped a good photo of him swinging away.

3.jpg

He made some interesting finds at the site--including a nice 1830s decorative civilian button, a decorative ladies belt buckle, one of the infamous mystery "two-hole brass thingys," and an odd piece that is gilded, with several chains connecting two discs. :icon_scratch: My Buckleboy mojo was not working, and I ended up with two large decorative brass grates and a small ornamental Victorian brass ornament. :P Here are some photos of the finds on the tailgate of the truck:

4.jpg

5.jpg

And some photos of the finds after cleaning. (What the heck is the thing in the first photo?)

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

Oh ya... and we dug a little iron too:

10.jpg

The story and photos of the second hunt appear in the next reply below:

Upvote 0
You tore it up! WTG :thumbsup:

DD-777 said:
Great digs all around Buck - I'm sure your "mojo" will return ten-fold the next trip out. Those brass grates will make beautiful end pieces in a display case... :thumbsup:

Hey thanks, my friend! :thumbsup:

It would be a good time for my mojo to return as it's Privy Dig time tomorrow. Bright and early. ;D We've got an old schoolhouse privy we have permission to dig, and I have visions of umbrella inks coming up one after another. I hope the visions become a reality. :)

Regards,

Buckles

Great Post BB, love all the pictures. Nice finds, hope your summer is a good one. Time to
get into the water, I'm sure your luck will continue there.

HH< Ringfinder

Congrats on More Great finds,
I hope you all find some Great bottles on the privy dig.

NT

Hello
Could the "and an odd piece that is gilded, with several chains connecting two discs" possibly be a cape clasp. Something to hold it together at the neck on the front? Cool hunt and fun finds,
Thanks for sharing your hunt.

TnMountains

plehbah said:
The overall shape of the buckle, and the size of it do not initially scream out a military affiliation to me, but those little holes are suspicious, and I think those indicate that some kind of device was attached to the front of it. I am trying to think of buckles I have seen, and to think if I have noticed any civilian or ladies decorative buckles with that kind of sheet brass construction, and then having an applied device, and I am not thinking of any off-hand.

I think the ring is great. They went to some lengths with the hallmarks.

I agree.  This buckle is quite odd.  It has even proved elusive to pin down in terms of time period.  The holes threw me for a loop as well.  The buckle is of thick construction...so it seems odd that another layer would have been attached to the face, but that is indeed what it appears. 

The ring was a tough cleaning job. Fertilizers had left green Warts all over it--and they took quite some time and effort to remove.

Best Wishes,

Buckles

Nice assortment. Too bad about the belt plate. The blank front would be dissapointing but when you find the real deal in the future then you will all remember this day.
Chris

Well done as usual Buckles. How did your privy dig go?

Wallhangers said:
Well done as usual Buckles. How did your privy dig go?

Getting ready to make the post right now. ;D

Best Wishes,

Buckles

Great relics.......got dome bad news about the item at the top right of pic #5....it aint that old, that is a piece of an old "level wind" saltwater fishing reel

That Road runner will bring bring you endless good fortune. Just glue it on to the dashboard, and see what ensues!

curbdiggercarl57 said:
That Road runner will bring bring you endless good fortune. Just glue it on to the dashboard, and see what ensues!

LOL! I already have a car "mascot"--an ostrich! Old Chinese proverb say ostrich bring good fortune.

Hopefully he and the road runner will not spar for dominance and the car mascot title. :-[

Attachments

• ostriches can put road runners in a Killer Death Grip of Death..jpg
    ostriches can put road runners in a Killer Death Grip of Death..jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 361
Great finds - the ring appears to have British hallmarks - could it be 14K gold rather than gilded brass? The "zero" in a shield is probably the date letter "o", which could give you the date of manufacture, once you find the city where it was made (other mark).

DougF said:
Great finds - the ring appears to have British hallmarks - could it be 14K gold rather than gilded brass? The "zero" in a shield is probably the date letter "o", which could give you the date of manufacture, once you find the city where it was made (other mark).

The ring is most certainly gilded brass. Some of the gilding is peeling off just a bit at the rim.

I will look into the hallmarks. Thank you so much for the information. :)

Best Wishes,

Buckles

Great finds. That is a clipped edge militia plate. Looks to be pre- Civil War.
Dman

GEEEEESH!! Now thats some good listenin skillz there. Look at that Indian Head! awesome.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back