Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Attachments

• 1DB5D101-B680-4C5B-BEC6-970CCF29DD21.jpeg
    1DB5D101-B680-4C5B-BEC6-970CCF29DD21.jpeg
    641.3 KB · Views: 167
Upvote 0
Great find congratulations

It doesn't look rusty enough for iron. Are you sure it's not native copper? Looks like it would be inserted into the end of a wooden shaft. It's too big and heavy for an arrowhead. Neat piece, whatever it is. Gary

Didn’t they find one like that on Oak Island? They thought it was from an ancient spear or something?
It also looks like a tine from an eel spear but then, what do I know? My expertise lies in the area of pull tabs and bottle caps.
HH
dts

Doesn't look like an Indian artifact.

It doesn't look rusty enough for iron. Are you sure it's not native copper? Looks like it would be inserted into the end of a wooden shaft. It's too big and heavy for an arrowhead. Neat piece, whatever it is. Gary

Maybe your right Gary, I’ll take a closer look.

Contex in where found would help, if found in a crop field, I would lean towards a tine, off a old piece of farm equipment.

Found in the woods

Didn’t they find one like that on Oak Island? They thought it was from an ancient spear or something?
It also looks like a tine from an eel spear but then, what do I know? My expertise lies in the area of pull tabs and bottle caps.
HH
dts

Thank you for your answer. Eel tine got me thinking and then I realized that it is in fact part of a fish/eel spear.most probably broke off and was modified by sharpening the other end so it can be used again as a harpoon.

Attachments

• DDDE0E19-1F7D-44E4-8442-975ED9A60C8E.jpeg
    DDDE0E19-1F7D-44E4-8442-975ED9A60C8E.jpeg
    66.6 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
Thank you for your answer. Eel tine got me thinking and then I realized that it is in fact part of a fish/eel spear.most probably broke off and was modified by sharpening the other end so it can be used again as a harpoon.

nice ID!

Thank you my friend helped me ID it.
This is a part of a fur trade fish spear and that means was traded and used by NA.

Really happy to have found this arrow point.
I was wondering what exactly was this point used for?
I’m guessing small game or birds?
Just reading old posts ,this is called a harpoon point they came 6’’ to 12’’ long the natives used to break the shaft off and use it for an awl or bend them in a circle for a nose ring ,the longer ones they made bracelet’s out of the shafts. They were handed out as gifts by the jesuits the ones i find are 1630’s 1650’s Kennith Kidd did an article about them

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back