May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finally the wait for the end of the shooting season is upon us & we looked forward to trying the only Wood we know that produces Roman Coins. I have done it well with the GMP XP 11" coil & I wanted to see if the Deus had any luck. Well my confidence is growing after todays result, it found coins deeper in areas I had covered well.
I did 4 hours 15 minutes hunting whilst Dad was on log clearing duties, we also wanted to try a small trench & I found the perfect spot. I spotted some Mole Hills that had slightly darker soil & 2 of the many hills had small greyware pot shards. Dad spent about 2 hours digging & I helped for over 1 hour - producing a hole 3.5 metres long x 1.5 metres wide, by 2.5ft deep.
We got plenty of Large pieces of Roman Pot, nails, bones, animal teeth, shell,tiles, but sadly no coins or objects. Its a big pit & the best we have dug, so we many return one day to do the rest.

14 Roman Coins - One new type for us of Roma Comm. Rom & Rem, minted in Nicomedia (Turkey!)
Shoe Buckle Bit
Roman Plate Brooch
1889 Sixpence

A much better day.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    283.2 KB · Views: 127
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    167.3 KB · Views: 105
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    271.3 KB · Views: 108
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    184.6 KB · Views: 124
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    95.5 KB · Views: 114
Upvote 12
Good score :thumbsup: disc brooch.:icon_scratch: Confusing I know because both are almost identical, but I think yours is a disc brooch.:thumbsup:

SS

Nice finds Cru! Always fun seeing your saves

Cru,

Good score on the Roman pottery....should be more stuff around that pit.

Regards + HH

Bill

CRU,
Always great seeing your posts, love those Roman coins.
What settings do you like on your Deus, now that you've used it for a while?
Would the settings be different for those of us in the states?

Nice results guys on the Roman coinage and shards. The disc brooch is really a nice find, it would make my day even over the coinage.

No frozen ground in the woods! Good opportunity to get big pottery shards. Nice brooch and coin minted in turkey.... Great day! :icon_thumleft:

I like the Romulus and Remus , and of course I like the Silver Vickie ! Excuse my ignorance, is the plate brooch the shiny piece near
the buckle bits ? Nice Finds !

I like the Romulus and Remus , and of course I like the Silver Vickie ! Excuse my ignorance, is the plate brooch the shiny piece near
the buckle bits ? Nice Finds !

No, its next to the sixpence, but like SS states its a Disc Brooch (same difference, in some ways, but much later)

CRU,
Always great seeing your posts, love those Roman coins.
What settings do you like on your Deus, now that you've used it for a while?
Would the settings be different for those of us in the states?

Still using the Deus Light (no control panel yet) - So I modify the P3 setting to the following?
Disc - 20
Ses - 95
Feq - 12
Tones - 3
Leave the rest, as is

Not sure how to use it in the US, still trying to home my skills on a UK Roman Sites.

Last edited:
blast you Englanders anyway. for getting to live in a country that had so many peoples roaming around for so many centuries dropping stuff.

Guess that's what I get for being a colonist

CRU,

I can see the bottom "Rom and Rem" may be this one:
thumb00285.jpg

but what do you think is the mint mark on the other R&R?
I think it's R(wreath)Q or RFQ for Rome, in either case.
Don......

Its this one:
A.D. 330-5
18mm 2.4gm
VRBS-ROMA [City of Rome] Roma, helmeted, wearing imperial cloak.
Rev. She-wolf left with twins (Romulus and Remus); above, two stars with three vertical dots between.
In ex. SMN gamma
RIC VII Nicomedia 195

Cru, you seem to find more Roman coins than British, is that by design? You must be focusing on Roman sites?
Either way, great stuff to see. I am impressed by your knowledge of European historical numismatics. Fun stuff.
Keep showing us the goodies.

Nice hunt, hopefully one of these days one of your trenches will uncover a pot full of sceats! So the coin in the upper left of the 4th image, is that a Byzantine piece? If so, it doesn't strike me as something that would turn up too often in your parts. Cool finds all around.

CRU,
Yes, you have confirmed with a description the R&R coin pic I posted.
My question concerned the other R&R coin and its mint mark.
Don.....
OK - The second ROMA coin is actually a RBQ mint for Rome AD 330-331 RIC VII 338 or Sears 16507

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back