intersting item needs id

leddel

Jun 30, 2006
connecticut

Attachments

• user4057_pic2999_1227461420[1].jpg
    user4057_pic2999_1227461420[1].jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 1,419
by looking at the hat "shako"photo put up by montana elf --- its clear that its a dead ringer match for that style of head gear ---now if montanta elf will be so kind as to tell what year of manufacture that gear is you are in bussiness ----- the the flame was upward above the joining mark --- below the mark would have been the cannon ball and it would been attached on the outside of the plume holder just like shown on the hat * --- so 100 % IDed --- plume type holder --artillary / ordanace style-- (flaming cannon ball) * shako --- now to time date it. --- looks like a sort of -- light artillery style shako maybe -- from 1830ish (seminole war era) thru the end of the civil war in 1865 ?

Upvote 0
I can find this style plume holder in pictures of US and British shako hats ranging from the early to mid 1800s. Much like the "US Army Eagle" buttons of the time, it looks like a huge variety of makers with slightly different looks.

I have no clue when they would have been actually used.

Upvote 0
HI,
MY NAME IS DAVE AND I JUST REGISTERED.THIS WAS MY FIND AND I THANK YOU GUYS ESPECIALLY MY HUNTING PARTNER DAN FOR POSTING THIS FIND FOR ME.AND DOING THE RESEARCH ON IT.LIKE DAN SAID I HAVE HAVE BEEN DETECTING FOR 20 PLUS YEARS BUT NEVER HAD THE OPPORTUNITY TO DO ANY CELLAR HOLE HUNTING.I KNEW OF THIS COLONIAL SETTLEMENT SINCE I WAS KID.I INVITED DAN DOWN AND WE BEEN HITTING THEM 2 HUNTS NOW PRODUCED THIS ITEM,SOME BUTTONS,2 BROKEN ORNATE BUCKLES,2 COPPER COINS FOR ME.A NICE 1807 US LARGE CENT AND 17?? KING GEORGE THE 1st 1/2 PENNY OR FARTHING.
DAN PULLED 2 COINS AS WELL A 1800 US LARGE CENT AND A 1736 KING GEORGE COPPER.I MAINLY HUNTED OLD PARKS,HOMESTEADS AND BEACH AND IN WATER HUNTING.HUNTING WITH DAN HAS OPENED UP A WHOLE NEW WORLD OF DETECTING TO ME.THANKS DAN!

Upvote 0
Welcome aboard, Dave. Judging by your username and e-mail, I'll assume you have the taste for good music as well. :headbang:

Upvote 0
:headbang: YES SIR! YOU KNOW IT! :thumbsup: :headbang:
THANKS! A PLEASURE TO BE HERE.A GREAT MAGAZINE! SUBSCRIBED FOR YEARS!

Upvote 0
Welcome to Tnet Dave and look forward to seeing all of your treasure finds. This plume holder is a real Beaut :thumbsup:
and,
cool ID by plehbah and forensics from a certain Elf :headbang:

Mike

Upvote 0
Montana Elf said:
Shako... Plahbah nailed it.
The "flame" piece is torn from the holder and jammed in upside down... I am possitive I see the tear marks...
Great photo find Elf! It appears to be exactly the same! Good work.

Upvote 0
Excellent thread and ID. Welcome to the forum and congrats on such a unique find!

Upvote 0
PIC OF FINDS FROM THIS SITE

Attachments

• NOV 2 TOATL FINDS TOGETHER [].jpg
    NOV 2 TOATL FINDS TOGETHER [].jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 711
Upvote 0
ME AT SITE

Attachments

• NOV 2 ME [].jpg
    NOV 2 ME [].jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 712
  • NOV 2 DAN 1 [].jpg
    NOV 2 DAN 1 [].jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 690
Upvote 0
CLOSE UPS OF FINDS

Attachments

• NOV 2 DAN\'S FINDS [].jpg
    NOV 2 DAN\'S FINDS [].jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 674
  • NOV 2 DAVE\'S FINDS [].jpg
    NOV 2 DAVE\'S FINDS [].jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 673
Upvote 0
ONE MORE

Attachments

• NOV 16 HUNT WITH DAN MY COIN FRONT [].jpg
    NOV 16 HUNT WITH DAN MY COIN FRONT [].jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 663
Upvote 0
with the late 1700 /early 1800 era items you found there - the shako's most likely early 1800's era . very very cool.

Upvote 0
GOING BACK SUNDAY :thumbsup:TO SEE IF I CAN PULL THE CANNON BALL PORTION OF THIS SHAKO WITH DAN.THAT WOULD BE SWEET.BUT,I HAVE THE FEELING THAT THE CANNONBALL REMAINED ON THE HAT WHEN KNOCKED OFF

Upvote 0
heavy typing in all caps is like screaming at folks --- and is a no no -- your new so maybe you didn't know it. :stop: thanks --Ivan

Upvote 0
did it look like i was screaming? sorry.bad habit i guess.i'll try to make a mental note of that :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
most likely its cannon ball is either in the hole or was left on the hat as the rest ripped off -- think I'd double check that area very well --you near know what other goodies might lurk there. ;D

Upvote 0
That King George copper cleaned up very well. If you need any cleaning tips, please feel free to PM me--or post a question in the cleaning and preservation section.

Nice work!

:thumbsup:

-Buckles

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back