Insanity!!!!!

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
pippen,

This is for you. I sincerely hope you don't have an aneurism over this, but everything you've been taught about mining causing the decline and extinction of species in Arizona is dead wrong.

You want someone to blame? Then blame the AZ Game and Fish Department and the US Fish and Wildlife Service.

Bureau of Reclamation: Lower Colorado Region - Phoenix Area Office

Crayfishes first appeared in Arizona about 30 years ago when they were stocked by the Arizona Game and Fish Department and US Fish and Wildlife Service for the purposes of aquatic weed control and as forage for sport fishes (Hyatt 2004). The negative impacts that non-indigenous crayfish can have on stream ecosystems in Arizona has been well documented by a study conducted in the White Mountains by Fernandez and Rosen (1996). Where crayfish were abundant, native leopard frogs were rare or not present, aquatic snails were eliminated, diversity and abundance of aquatic insects was reduced and aquatic vegetation was severely reduced.
Fernandez and Rosen (1996) also described an inverse relationship between the abundance of garter snakes and crayfish in Eagle Creek and the Blue River. Crayfish have even been implicated in the decline of Sonoran mud turtles, likely through predation on hatchlings. They concluded that introduced crayfish presented a significant danger to the ecological stability of Arizona's stream habitats (Fernandez and Rosen 1996).

Here's a link to M.W. Hyatt's 2004 report. http://www.usbr.gov/lc/phoenix/biology/azfish/pdf/CrayfishFinal.pdf

And here's some more for you.

Bureau of Reclamation: Lower Colorado Region - Phoenix Area Office

Flathead catfish were introduced into Arizona sometime prior to 1950 into the Gila River system, perhaps into San Carlos Reservoir, but possibly into the upper part of the drainage, in New Mexico, since they are now known from that area. The Colorado River populations in California and Arizona resulted, at least in part, from a stocking of about 600 flathead catfish above Imperial Dam made by the Arizona Game and Fish Department in 1962 (Fuller 2006). Considering Game and Fish stocked them in one area, we can reasonably presume they stocked tem elsewhere.

And about the decline of the desert tortoise: I'll have to find the report again, but depredation by coyotes is cited as the leading cause of tortoise mortality, especially among females since they are smaller.

how narrow...
I have never said mining is the sole cause of specie decline in the southwest...
you have only interpreted my words to fit a view.

and do seek more information on how other human activities have effected the fragile desert environment.
thank you.

I have plenty of information on what effects the desert and 98% of it can be contributed to natural causes. The other 2% is insignificant. Once the Democrats in Congress decide to do their jobs and negotiate and get the government running again, I'll pull biological opinions and thousands of pages of research from JSTOR. Funny thing is that out of 275 biological opinions done on the loach minnow only one was likely to effect the loach minnow. And that one was the application of fire suppressant.

Remember now your playing in my world.

MM - There is no reason to debate - You tell him 2 + 2 = 4 and the come back would be - bold unsupported statements are popular these days

Ray_AZ_1908_crop_tiff.png<<<gone

Copper Mining and Production Wastes | Radiation Protection | US EPA

That was a pretty neat bird! I guess you used it as a disclaimer to show the Propaganda aspects of the other pictures, Pip?

propaganda? delusion to even believe it is propaganda.

facts, photographs of actual mining locations.
fact, magma copper company was required to shut down it's smelter in superior...when the sulfur dioxide plume reached phoenix...{after the population of phoenix reached 225,000.}
this sulfur dioxide plume arrived daily in phoenix...for years...that is 65 miles away from superior, and one could see, smell, and taste the deadly pollution.
since you seem so unaware of the issue...perhaps you could read and study up.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back